RGA121 Dissappointment! - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Re: RGA121 Dissappointment!

gotcha - i'm still on my first cup of coffee at the moment.
you wouldn't get the maple cap (i think it is a fairly thick cap 16mm in center) so your tone would be a lot darker. for the money, i'm sure it will be a solid player.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:07 PM

The Rga 121vlf is a dream guitar, I love it after the set up, plays like air man, picking easier on a fixed bridge.... I'm going for the combination similar to what they put in j customs since the wood combo is similar....... air zone/air norton....... I love my rg550dx(92 maple neck basswood body) with the air zone, paf joe with no tone knob...... I'm hoping that the air zone will be similar if I leave the tone knob on the rga....

In my experience, leaving that tone pot off in a couple of my guitars, made it brighter... since the maple top in the rga makes it naturally brighter, I'm thinking I can leave the tone pot on.... and get similar results with a few amp tweaks...

that air zone in that 550 is the sound IMO, I love it
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM

Am I the only one who thinks that a good factory setup would be mandatory when we're talking about these prices? (I love Ibanezes, but they need a heads up I think)
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGuitarHero
Am I the only one who thinks that a good factory setup would be mandatory when we're talking about these prices? (I love Ibanezes, but they need a heads up I think)
i don't see good factory set-ups from a lot of companies, not just Ibanez. that's just par. a lot of people like different set-ups so you usually need a good set-up when you purchase a guitar anyway. they should be intonated fairly close from the factory but action is rarely where i would want it. i've had good set-ups from USA Jacksons and Carvins. never have with Gibson and the PRS, EBMM guitars i've played in stores have all had crap set-ups as well with the action at unplayable heights.
the time and expense of a "full set-up", ala Rich from Ibanez Rules, takes a couple hours so it isn't cost effective with the quatity of guitar these companies put out. pick up a USA Hamer sometime - they have only a few people in the factory working in the factory and keep their production #'s low so they can give every guitar more attention - but that is rare in this industry unless you are getting a custom shop from other companies. definitely won't get that from Fender.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:59 PM

You speak very good words about guitars straight from the factory, which is why buying this guitar online is no longer an option for me since I definitely wouldn't know how to set up the guitar properly. The guy that fixed my RG370DX today (adjusted the truss rod and the bridge height to lower the action) told me that he personally does a setup on every guitar that comes into his shop and he goes over it again before he sells the guitar. His prices are also very reasonable and he said that he'd try and get a RGA121NTF into the store so that I can play it.

He said that he could sell the guitar to me at $840 which is really good considering Prestige Ibanez guitars come with those sweet cases, so if it plays like I hope it does then I'll probably go into debt to acquire it. I'm just wondering exactly how much the guitar weighs because my RG370DX is heavier than the JEM and the RG1570 that I played at GC (higher quality wood, most likely) so I'm hoping that the guitar is somewhat lighter.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
He said that he could sell the guitar to me at $840 which is really good considering Prestige Ibanez guitars come with those sweet cases, so if it plays like I hope it does then I'll probably go into debt to acquire it. I'm just wondering exactly how much the guitar weighs because my RG370DX is heavier than the JEM and the RG1570 that I played at GC (higher quality wood, most likely) so I'm hoping that the guitar is somewhat lighter.
i think probably 6 -7 lbs. i have never weighed it so i'm just guessing. it's comfortable and weighs far less than my Gibson Explorer.

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 AM

6-7 lbs. Well atleast that gives me something that I can compare. Thanks!
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 AM

I have an RGA 121NF.
Excellent guitar.

Superb tone -
Assume that strings are dead when playing in store.
Always re-string.

Change PUPs for madness.
I dropped in some Seymour Duncans and huge diff.
(btw, ToneZone and Air Norton sounded like ass, if ass has a sound)
Go for the throaty-gain ++

I will buy another of these - great value.
I actually like as much as my RG2550. (possibly more)
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Reviews: 10

grrr 2005 thread!!!

i'd never ressurect old threads and continue post as if it was a new topic
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

I'm kinda glad it was rezzed cause I am really GASsin for an RGA 121 NF...
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonb View Post
I'm kinda glad it was rezzed cause I am really GASsin for an RGA 121 NF...
having had the fortune to having had a NF on loan and now being the owner of a Violin finish I would 100% wholeheartedly say go for the Violin finish

I know it's not a very helpful or factual saying but the look and finish is much 'nicer' if that makes any sense
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 AM

It does! cheers Tequila!
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
The RG321 has a flat, standard RG body. The RGAs have arched tops. Big difference in tone.
How does arch top shape affect tone?
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemono View Post
How does arch top shape affect tone?
the top is maple, so it should have more high end and brightness.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Unless of course the neck was actually loose enough to move bass to treble or back.
Rich, this may not be the place for this, but how is this problem corrected?

Tags
air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , basswood body , custom shop , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge ibanez , flamed maple , graphite nut , ibanez guitars , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , maple neck , music store , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , pickup combination , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , tone zone , trem guitar , truss rod , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode