RGA121 Dissappointment! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

RGA121 Dissappointment!

I played a RGA121 Violen color today. I was very dissapointed in it. While the neck itself felt good, the string where dead, it kept going out of tune bigtime, and the pickups where just garbage. I was hoping this would be a nice investments, however I am dissapointed. Anyone else actually try one of these?

BTW they vendor just took it out of the box, and set it up, I even tuned it a bit myself. It just kept going out of tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM

Re: RGA121 Dissappointment!

Guitars fresh out of the box generally have dead strings. you never know how long a guitar has been sitting in a warehouse so I'd check that guitar later when the strings have been changed.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Ibanez' tend to need to be re-set up out of the box for sure. I've played a few rga121's and I think they're cool guitars. Pickups need to be changed of course, but thats standard on everything except the highest end stuff. My 2 cents.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Vendor

Going out of tune, as in the strings were never stretched? Reviews from people that don't know guitar basics should be taken with a huge grain of salt [the size of the worlds biggest ball of string]

Last edited by Rich; 07-11-2005 at 08:19 PM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

As for the strings being stretched, I did that myself, just to make sure. Tuned up the guitar, and hit a few simple power chord, whala, goes out of tune again. I don't know maybe I just got a problem guitar to try, as I have tried a RG2550 from the same shop, that guitar totally rocked, it felt great and sounded great. I did plug into the same amp so I don't think thats a problem.

Since I am new to looking at Ibanez's maybe you can give me some tips on what to look for.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Vendor

It's a hardtail with MB500 tuners [Gotoh's best]. The only way to make a hardtail with good tuners go out of tune is

strings not stretched enough
user error, detuning to pitch
possible binding in nut after bending strings.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I'll have to try and find another one at a different store, if I could do that. My question is the RGA321 a gloss finish as the RGA121 is no gloss finish?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Vendor

Unless of course the neck was actually loose enough to move bass to treble or back.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I never looked at that. I will drop by its right be my work and check it out again. If I do buy one, I'll get it from Ibanez Rules, at least it will be setup correctly.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Vendor

Smart move

321 is gloss finish, the 121's are Flat
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:33 AM

I've got a semi-stupid question about the new RGA121 and RGA321. Is the bridge on those guitars one solid piece of metal? And do the guitars string through body? I can't seem to find either of them at the local guitar stores around here. I REALLY want one of those RGA321s but they're just soooo freakin' expensive I might just have to see if I can buy a prestige neck and stick it on a regular RG321 without any modding. Then I'd atleast get a mahogany-bodied fixed bridge guitar with a great neck.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM

I played a natural RGA121 at Scam Ash, and it was amazing. Very vibrant, resonant, even before being plugged in. A very nice instrument. If I were in the market for another 6 string, I'd definitely get it, and through in some Breeds or PAF's.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I've got a semi-stupid question about the new RGA121 and RGA321. Is the bridge on those guitars one solid piece of metal? And do the guitars string through body?
The bridge is adjustable, it just has those bits either side of each saddle to make it feel more like an Edge to players used to that style. The strings don't go through the body, but in my experience that deadens rather that enhances vibration, because the string is bent several times before leaving the saddle.

I played an RGA321 on the weekend and it was hands down one of the best Ibanezes I've ever played. The sustain was very strong and the stock Dimarzio/IBZ pickups sounded great with that combination of woods. I also played a 3120 and 2550 that same day and they were both turkeys.

Personally I wouldn't go to the hassle of getting a Prestige neck for a 321, I'd just get a decent fret job on the 321 neck.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 PM

The RG321 has a flat, standard RG body. The RGAs have arched tops. Big difference in tone.

I have a RG321 that I loaded with Dimarzios. I bought it for rehearsal and drop tunings at gigs. It could use a touch-up on the frets, but for the price it can't be beat.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 01:40 AM

I have the VLF121.... the nut was poorly set up at the factory...I let my tech tweak it..

The RGAs need seriously need the nut set up... before I had mine done the guitar was stiff as hell and wouldn't stay in tune... after the setup...it completely changed the whole feel of the guitar.

whoa... slinkier bends than my trem guitars with the stability, super low action, AWESOME tone..... I'm putting in some dimarzios(came in today)... bends are so much better with a fixed bridge.... way easier.

It's a pickup combination I've been working on after many years of looking that I really love. The fretwork was good enough although they could have been polished better..... the action is as low as I can stand it, and I could still put it lower without probs.

I LOVE the VLF.. that is one of the most resonant, bell like tone guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing(I like the VLF the best out of the RGAs), it feels alive in your hands.., and IMO sounded more alive than the finished version(I actually had the blue top there, and ordered the VLF), maybe it's just this guitar... anyway, don't hesitate on the RGA series, just make damn sure you get the nut set up right by someone you know will do a good job.

I still get some slight binding, but I'm gonna try some nut sauce... This guitar kicks ass.....it feels alive in your hands, maybe I'll buy another hehe....

Tags
air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , basswood body , custom shop , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge ibanez , flamed maple , graphite nut , ibanez guitars , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , maple neck , music store , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , pickup combination , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , tone zone , trem guitar , truss rod , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode