RGA121VLF results with pickup change - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

RGA121VLF results with pickup change

FIrst off, man what a guitar.... after a full setup of the nut, neck and action. The guitar plays like a dream and is a joy to play. Actually slinky. The neck is awesome.

I just got my guitar back from having an air zone(BR) and air norton(N) installed after some reasearch on the switch.... I can honestly say this guitar is a dream

I feel I really got lucky with this one, it has to have one of the best maple tops of the RGA121s I've seen on the web or on the ibanez site....I got very lucky.

First off, the position #4 two split coil tone on clean tones is WOW. THe air zone in the bridge fits this guitar. Of course the Air Norton is pretty close to being the perfect neck pickup. Man what a sound. This pickup selection posiblities are awesome on this guitar.

I got lucky with this one for sure. I'll post picks here in the next reply.

I have to say, my Ibanez 92' RG550DX purple neon(maple neck, original wizard neck).... with the air zone, and paf joe is also a killer killer guitar, I need to get a good middle single to get some better clean tones.

Man what a pair. Don't hesitate to get one of these. Be sure to click the full size option so it isn't garbled:http://community.webshots.com/album/548189134WkskDQ

Last edited by John01W; 03-03-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: RGA121VLF results with pickup change

Sounds awesome. Say, on that "switch", what colors go where?

I was looking at the wiring diagram for the 321 (which I believe is the same setup) and the stock IBZ pu's have a blue wire(?).

Glad you like your new pickups!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

one the 121 they are the v7 and v8 pickups, and the green wire to me looks green/blueish, but then again they are different pickups... I would assume that's the green goes.

One thing for certain, wire it exactly like the diagram says, it's not a regular switch that's for sure.

Ya know I think a regular paf pro would sound awesome in there too in the neck. The neck pickup for the stock ibanez was pretty not bad actually, the bridge totally blew next to the air zone. IMO, the air zone is "the" bridge pickup. The norton is a great pickup though fo sho.

Gotta say though they both split awesome, like crystaline in position 4.

Thanks a bunch. Hope this helps.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM

just so you know, you just bought one of my dream guitars
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Traded my Triaxis for it, never cared for it really. Pics on the way.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok here's some pics. Be sure to click the full size option so it isn't garbled:[

http://community.webshots.com/album/548189134WkskDQ
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Aww, man. I've been wanting one of those guitars since they first came out and that pickup combo is one that I'm seriously considering for my RG321. I actually got a diagram directly from Dimarzio about how to wire their humbuckers on the stock switch the same way as the stock pickups.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Nice one I've got one in natural and I play it a hell of a lot (probably more than my Jem to be honest - I'm starting to prefer fixed bridges).

I think i'm gonna put a PAF in the neck and a Breed in the bridge, or Tone Zone.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 PM

congrats on the nice axe, John...

i have an RGA121VLF too! and i also have an Air Zone in the bridge -- i agree that it's a really good match for this guitar.

i'm still using the stock V7 neck pup (which is actually not bad), coz i still can't decide what to replace it with... i'm thinking of a paf joe or air norton, or a duncan jazz/59 hybrid.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm5150
congrats on the nice axe, John...

i have an RGA121VLF too! and i also have an Air Zone in the bridge -- i agree that it's a really good match for this guitar.

i'm still using the stock V7 neck pup (which is actually not bad), coz i still can't decide what to replace it with... i'm thinking of a paf joe or air norton, or a duncan jazz/59 hybrid.
Thanks, I love the RGAs big time. The air zone, ends up spankin' in my RG550 with no tone control and the RGA121VLF with all the stuff. THe air zone is just THE bridge pickup IMO, sounds great in both. Yeah man the V7 ain't bad at all...(actually Ibanez neck pickups aren't bad, the one in the 550 was pretty good too), actually not bad at all! THe norton does come ahead though, something about it when split with the air zone, just gets a sound in the 4 position that is just amazing. CLean tones with that are super crystlline.

Regarding the Paf Joe...It's an awesome neck pickup, no doubt...I was really surpised in how bright it is in the neck, which is good for the basswood in my RG550DX(love this guitar too), I might be afraid to put it in the RGA.

You're actually setting pretty right now, the V7 is a good pickup IMO, the air norton is a notch better, but the split capabilites are amazing. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I would suggest a regular Paf Pro, rather than the Paf Joe for the wood combo in the RGA though

Glad you like your RGA121VLF though, congrats to you as well!! We lucky, great deal(love the case too)....I can't begin to tell you how having the nut set up made this thing a completely better guitar.... Slinky, plays like air and stays in tune much better too.

Last edited by John01W; 03-09-2006 at 02:36 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 03:17 PM

thanks for the pickup advice...
so i guess the paf joe isn't a good match for this guitar.
i think i'll go with the air norton then -- never tried that pickup, but by what everyone here says, can't go wrong with it.

just curious, what was done to the nut to set it up? did you change the nut?
i'm having some problems keeping the guitar in tune sometimes
did you do it yourself, or have a pro set it up?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, can't go wrong with it....it would almost be like a j-custom I guess(same woods, and pickup combinations). I had it set up by a tech I like to go to in Austin who is very good(where I bought the guitar, a setup came with it, but I was so eager to get it home I just brought it home before he had a chance to set it up). He just filed the slots from what I could tell. I remember the slots being slightly deeper maybe very slightly wider on some strings I guess. Same nut. I remember him saying he thought it was graphite. It came back playing much better. I woundn't even think of trying anything like that myself lol, no doubt about that lol. That guy is great, great dealer too for Ibanez guitars.

Some nut sauce might help even more, although I haven't tried it.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:09 PM

Sweet , congratz!!!

Regards

André

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Really, the more I play with it, call me crazy, but I'm missing the original V7. Dunno, maybe you should just keep what you got. I may have the original neck pickup put back in. If it wasn't for the position 4 tone I would, I couldn't quit playing that on clean, just so pretty.

Heck I might....the original V7 had some cut that the norton ain't got, and a little less midrange. If the norton had just a bit more cut.

Dare I say it.... the V7 is a kick butt neck pickup?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:28 AM

Reviews: 6

You know, I played 3 of my Ibanez' yesterday back and forth and came to the same conclusion... the V7 in the neck isn't bad at all. The V8 is the weak link.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , bridge pup , clean tone , evo bridge , fixed bridge , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , killer guitar , maple neck , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck pup , paf joe , paf pro , pickup combination , pickup combo , pickup selection , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode