RGA42FM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

RGA42FM

I see the RGA42FM guitars use active stock Ibanez pickups... called LoZ3 pickups. Anyone have any experience with this active setup? How do they compare to something more common, like an EMG 81?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Re: RGA42FM

None whatsoever....sorry.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 AM

I've loan an RGA42 before and the stock pickup itself is pretty good imo. If you compare it to an EMG 81. I would say the EMG 81 is a bit more trebly than the stock pickup in the RGA42 other than that its also less bassy than the stock pickup. Both are very good pickup tbh. It just comes down to what you like in general.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... Saw one for sale locally at a very reasonable price and when I looked up the specs and saw the active setup... I just had to ask. I just recently installed an EMG 81 and SA in an old Charvel and I really like the clarity of the active pickup with higher gain settings. I don't really need another mahogany hardtail... but the RGA looks like a very nice guitar for the price!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 PM

The RGA42 is one of the best guitar around that price range imo. Superb neck and build like a tank. The playability is top notch and the stock pickups are pretty workable if you know how to work around it.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a great guitar, but I have to tell myself "let it go". I already have a thru neck mahogany solid bridge SZ320 that plays awesome... an old Les Paul... plus I just put active EMG's in my old Charvel... and then last night put a Tone Zone and DiMarzio/IBZ in my RG520 and I'm totally blown away by how great it sounds. So I don't really need another guitar... even though I really like the RGA42!

Heck, I don't even deserve the ones I have. My skill level would maybe warrant a Squire strat at best.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 AM

Hahhahaa.. Dude, everyone have G.A.S. man. Sometimes its also worth getting something to please yourself.. for me. i just gotten my RG721CNF and this is already my 4th guitar.. And i don't even see myself stopping soon.. and I'm just a student that mostly play in my own room.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

I know what you mean... I just love guitars. I was having a bad day yesterday... trying to learn a Queensryche song and having trouble with their complex chords! Gets frustrating sometimes. Maybe a new guitar would make me feel better... ha ha! I like your way of thinking.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinksoshistuff View Post
Hahhahaa.. Dude, everyone have G.A.S. man. Sometimes its also worth getting something to please yourself.. for me. i just gotten my RG721CNF and this is already my 4th guitar.. And i don't even see myself stopping soon.. and I'm just a student that mostly play in my own room.
hey I have 7 guitars in 2 1/2 years, you still have a lot to catch up on
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Oh sure... rub it in! You have some super-nice ones too! We're tied if you count 2 basses and a Takamine acoustic though... lol! Now I might have to buy that RGA and I'll be one up on ya.

I'm saving up my money for an Eleven Rack though... so I hope someone else buys it quick!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Practicing and improving is far more important than collecting guitars, you may have a lot more important things to catch up on!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Practicing and improving is far more important than collecting guitars, you may have a lot more important things to catch up on!
That is very true
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
So true for me too... I've been using this philosophy for a few months now. Otherwise I would have already made a move on that RGA... lol. Besides, if I got the guitar that would take every penny I've been saving for the Eleven Rack processor. As of now I just need to drum up another $100 or so to get where I need to be.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
So true for me too... I've been using this philosophy for a few months now. Otherwise I would have already made a move on that RGA... lol. Besides, if I got the guitar that would take every penny I've been saving for the Eleven Rack processor. As of now I just need to drum up another $100 or so to get where I need to be.
Yeah, I'm at the point where I want to sell 1 of my axes because I just don't play some of them enough
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Hahahaha man. Well i still have school fees to pay so yea.. But anyway. Yea, Guitars are like drugs man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Oh sure... rub it in! You have some super-nice ones too! We're tied if you count 2 basses and a Takamine acoustic though... lol! Now I might have to buy that RGA and I'll be one up on ya.

I'm saving up my money for an Eleven Rack though... so I hope someone else buys it quick!
Mmmm.. Why Eleven Rack though? Ever consider the Digitech GSP1101?

Tags
rga42fm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode