RGA8 pickup replacement - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

RGA8 pickup replacement

Got an RGA8 cheap.

First thing to do, put in some decent pickups. Whats the pickup of choice?

I was thinking of getting the Tosin Abasi Dimarzios, though most 8-strings tend to come with actives. Is there an advantage of actives over passives on an 8 string?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: RGA8 pickup replacement

pickins are real slim here. Not much choice, so id just say go youtube and get the ones you think sound the best.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Seymour Duncan (full disclosure, I work for them) is offers 8-string versions of many passive pickups in active housing. Check out the new Sentient neck pickup and Pegasus bridge pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZuTao0gXQ
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Reviews: 11

I had sd blackouts in my rga8. Did NOT mesh with my engl powerball head. I'd go with the tosin dimarzios bro
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Reviews: 2

There are EMG 81-8H and 85-8H pickups now. I was the first to get them from EMG and the only one to get them as a custom made set in soapbar format. They are the best 8 string pickups Ive heard to date, however, you can't get them in soapbar, and the H housing might require routing...so if they do, i suggest the Blackouts, at least the blackout in the bridge. but also add the EMG RPC, combined with any active 8 string pup, its boosts the highs and lowers the bass, henced I coined it the 808 Fix, but it was not well received on the silly juvenile forum SSO because they are all fanboys who likes to support one fad after another in groups. stay away from there if you want any real, self-thinking or a valid opinion.

anyway if anyone wants to know more about my 1 of a kind EMG set or the RPC or blackouts, please hit me up, id love to help any 8 string player from jemsite

Tags
rga8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode