RGR 570 ? Help needed on a buy - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
RGR 570 ? Help needed on a buy

Hi Folks,

I'm currently looking to buy an RG. The guy claims it is an RGR 570 P 2, has wizard 2 neck 3 piece mahony, 1993, made in Japan, price about 550$, has a little fixed dent and an scratch on the side near the straplocks. Front and back should be perfect he says.

Could anyone confirm this model, because I can't find a thing about this model. Think the price is fair (every non european guitar is more expensive in europe compared to us). I've always digged and wanted reverse headstocks, same for white outline and especially with sharktooths. My RG570 and JS1000 have dots, normal headstock and no outline, so this is a variant that really would fit in

Thx 4 your advice. Here are some picks of the guitar. I've asked for some extra detailed ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:39 PM

Re: RGR 570 ? Help needed on a buy

Don't know, but there's a sweet 98 RG 570JG with all chrome hardware in the classfieds section here for $350. http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53078. If I had the money, it's be on the way to me.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:46 PM

Well, according to Ibanez register, it's an RGR570 IPT (iron pewter) and has a basswood body, not mahogany.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/RG/gal-rgr570.htm
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
Well, according to Ibanez register, it's an RGR570 IPT (iron pewter) and has a basswood body, not mahogany.

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/RG/gal-rgr570.htm
I think he was referring to the neck...

And no, there is no mahony, or mahogany for that matter , in the neck. It's maple w/ a bubinga stripe.

That's a fairly sweet axe too, reverse headstock and fins and all.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

I really would like a reverse, outlined, sharktooth neck, so thx for the link phantoms.

That RGR570 IPT is untill now the closest match indeed. What does "Iron Pewter" stand for ?

The neck sure is nog mahogany of course, that's simply rosewood. Maple necks are nice as well, but i'm a bit afraid of them because often wood that is too young is used, resulting is this kind of horror :
http://www.zwiergitaarbouw.nl/ibaneck.jpg
So I will never order a maple neck guitar blindly. I prefer to have any guitar I would want to buy in my hands first.

The new RG series, for example the RTG42DX which is the closest match to this used RGR available from the catalogue, has a Mahogany body. Earlier most 90ies models have mostly a basswood body, or am I wrong ?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 AM

Iron Pewter is a really dark pearlescent green

it's just the color code for the guitar's paint job.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 AM

You sure that's the original neck? I'm pretty sure the three piece like that wasn't around in '93...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Well, I don't where he got "93" from. Things that make me wonder if it's actually made in 93:

1. I thought I never saw the imprint "RG Series" on the head stock that early in the 90ies. I only started tot see that on Ibanezes since the late 90ies.
2. Same for the shape of the body where the neck is bolted on.

My 99 RG570 has these 2 characteristics. I'm waiting for the serial #
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

The RG Series thing is on my '94 RG670DXBK so that's OK. It's the bubinga stripe that would tell me it's not a '93!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

ah, and antoher question. what is the story behind this stripe on the neck ? It has this "bubinga stripe" I thing SonataGuitarist was refering to ? is it a "good" thing ?
The link gpengiuns sent from Ibanezregister says the neck is a "superwizard" how do they comapre to Wizard II etc... ?

Thax for all your input guys, appreciate it !
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:49 PM

I got my RGR570 (Flaked Blue) in '97, here's a pic of it...

It's modded a bit, I'm gonna bin the Blue Mirror pick-up rings I bought and throw a Blue Mirror pickguard on it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

ahan... his serial number is F9746415 MIJ, the printed booklet that came with his guitar (general ibanez) was printed in 1996. this changes things. He says that it came out the same year as the "Crystal blue" came out. Guess that is "Flaked Blue" RGR570 is talking about (Thx for the pic ! nice superpimped btw Do I actually see Blue strings on it ??? ). Have you been happy with this guitar RGR570?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Yeah, they are DR blue strings.

As for the guitar: I got it brand new in '97, mainly for the cool specs:- Reverse, colour matched headstock, bound neck, shark tooth inlays, Lo Pro Edge etc. I must admit that I prefer the (original) Wizard dimensions on my 540SLTD which I got new in '91, but yeah, all in all the RGR570 is a cool guitar.

IIRC, it was released in '97 in only 2 finishes, Iron Pewter (like the one you are interested in buying) and Flaked Blue (like mine).

There has been a distinct lack of reverse headstock models from Ibanez, so it's definitely a cool guitar to own, nearly as cool as a RG565 (but not quite).
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM

And yeah, the bubinga stripe is definitely a good thing. Bubinga is a very stong wood, and prevents warping in the neck, plus it looks awesome!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I just bought the RGR570. Went to test it ans it played very well, some dents and scratches on the sides that have been retouched, which could've been done beter, I have to see what I can do about it. If someone knows a good retouch tutorial to do it at it should be, would be welcome.

Reverse headstock, colour matched headstock, bound neck, shark tooth inlays, Lo Pro Edge is an awesome combo. All characteristics I really like and missed in my js1000 and classic RG570, so I'm happy there

What is so devine about a RG565 ? I've noticed they are wanted, but don't really know why.

another + SonataGuitarist, nice

Thx again for all you input.

Tags
basswood body , chrome hardware , mahogany body , maple neck , maple necks , pro edge , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , shark tooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode