Is the 'RGT2020sol' a Good Guitar To Get??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Is the 'RGT2020sol' a Good Guitar To Get???

I've always liked the 'Raw-Wood' look of the RGT2020 but have never been that sure about how good they are.I tried one in a store once but the set-up was awful and it was impossible to judge it under those circumstances.I like the look of the 'Ultra' through-neck too and it certainly felt nice in the hand.Is it beneficial at all to the sustain of the guitar and how does it compare to the bolt-on 'Super-Wizard' type necks on some of the other Prestige model RGs?
Has anyone had one for a while and if so how does the 'oiled-finish' stand up to general use and wear and tear?I have often heard it said that the tone of an unfinished/oiled guitar is superior to that of a guitar covered in thick paint and that it can make a lot of overall difference to the way a guitar sounds.Is there any truth in this?
I know there's a slightly different '05 model coming out and also an 'Ash' version so I was womdering if this means that the '04 and earlier models will be selling for less money?Would anyone recommend getting one of the '04 type RGT2020sol's?I'm thinking about it but I'd like to hear some views/opinons first.Thanks in advance to anyone who has any helpful info on this model for me.All the Best!.................JTM45 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 AM

Re: Is the 'RGT2020sol' a Good Guitar To Get???

I would if I were you! I've seen those guitars in Japan and there beautiful. They even had a natural finished one which I liked better, but it's possible that one was a J Custom..........anyway go for it if you got the money!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:03 PM

get kast year's one. they are cheaper, plus they have off set dot inlays. basically the same thing.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
dex

Buy a 550 from ebay.Learn to play.Learn to type and to use the space bar and after about a year go to a big store and pick a guitar you like.You're welcome..........ILIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:48 PM

Exclamation Re: Is the 'RGT2020sol' a Good Guitar To Get???

No offense dex but what are you talking about? His typing was perfectly readable and he was just asking for opinions. No reason to be an @$$.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
RCB

Get the RGT2020. I had an unifinished Jackson PC3 and a BSB and love them both.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
dex

Maybe I'm just cranky but with his extended "no real information/babling" posts the last thing I need is to have to re-learn to read punctuation.
I don't know what school he went to but I can see why the Tories moan about the education system.
Just check some of his other posts, thay are all "Hype and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" whyle asking something that can be googled in 5 sec.

ilia

P.S. Yes, the 2020 is a great guitar and if you are after something like it - buy it.
Rich will hook you up and you'll save at least 200 on the best deal here + that way you'll get a cool UV1000 case with it.
There.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM

Was that so hard dex?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 05:03 PM

I dig the oil finish on the 2020SOL. It definitely won't be as durable as a poly finish, but I've also heard thinner finishes make for a better sounding guitar... ie the thinner nitro finishes Gibson uses on the Historic LPs.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: Is the 'RGT2020sol' a Good Guitar To Get???

Thanks for the info guys.
And thanks to 'Kantalonis' for telling that ****in' Idiot 'Dex' what a D**K he was being. 'Dex' ,you've no right telling anyone about pointless, badly punctuated posts. Take a look at your own rubbish! How can you comment on my playing,which you've never even heard? Tory-Loving Dimwit ! People like you make me so F****in' angry.
Anyway,enough time spent on pointless crap. I think,as one of you said, I'll have a look for one of the '04 or earlier models.I prefer the offset dots anyway. I wouldn't mind even getting a used one but I never really see used ones for sale.Maybe that's a good sign as the people who have them aren't selling.
I also agree with 'Shredi-Knight' about the thin finish. In my experience it definitely makes a difference to the sound of a guitar(for the better!).I played a 'Black Machine' guitar recently and it was one of the best guitars I've ever played. The guy who makes them NEVER uses lacquers or any thick finish at all,only oil,and they sound so good for it.A greta guitar for Ibanez lovers too.The specs and feel is cloer to an Ibanez RG/Jem than anything else,but I would say they're even better.The one I played had a 'Snakewood' neck and it was out of this World!!! They've got amazingly thin bodies too,which is a bit off-putting at first,but you soon forget about it once you're playing the thing.I strongly recommend trying one if you ever get a chance,Seriously! They're AWESOME.
All the Best!................JTM45 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Yes he has a right to tell you about your badly punctuated posts as you have been asked by many members, including glen to clean up your writing. For whatever reason you have purposefully decided not to do this. Regardless whether your posts are difficult to read or not, something's wrong with your attitude, so the least we can do is point it out.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:28 AM
dex

All I have to say to you is grow up.
Also if you use the search function you'll see that we've talked about Black Machines here and I've personaly bigged them up (only a little bit as the pricing is really outrageous for what you get)but anyway.
And I gathered you can't really play that well (and that you are most probably under 20) from your "I'm really hyped up and excited about something" posts that are 9/10 about something most of us here have known for a long time.
Seems to me you'd fit VERY well on the JCM forum or even vai.com/forum

ilia
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

That just goes to show what a poor judge of anything you are 'Dex'.I've been playing for years and have probably owned more quality guitars and amps than you've had hot dinners.
And as for me being 'hyped-up'.The fact that I'm in my early 30s and can still get excited and enthusiastic about guitars says nothing except the fact that I have a great passion for guitars.
You know absolutely NOTHING about me so don't judge me!From the inaccurate and poor judgements you've already made it's pretty obvious you're no good at it.
The majority of people on this Forum are knowledgable and helpful people,but there are a small group of 'Sheep' who just follow what the other sheep do,however stupid and un-founded it may be.There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way this post is written or punctuated,and if you have trouble reading this then I'm surprised you can read at all.
And as for Glen telling me to 'clean up my writing'.The only time he commented was when I WAS being a bit out of order,and I listened to him and stopped.You don't mention the fact that he also said that the people who were critising my punctuation and typing were being 'picky' and 'unnecessary'.Just look at some of the other posts on the Forum.No comments are made about those are they.
Take a look at yourself.I'm not the one who has a problem here.All I've done is ask for advice and been got at for it by some sad people who run with the pack as they have no ideas or minds of their own.
Seems to me you'd fit VERY well on the 'People Who Can't Think for Themselves'.com Forum.
Next time you see a post of mine don't even read it.Then you'll have no reason to leave a pathetic and pointless reply and I won't have to write another equally as pointless reply.It's all such a waste of time and space!

JTM45.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:12 AM

Hey JTM, I agree with you.

On the other hand, it would make reading your posts easier if you would please thumb (or otherwise hit once, gently) the space bar after each punctuation mark. I believe that's a generic "rule of thumb" in typing. It helps to differentiate the parts in your sentences, and sentences in paragraphs, in a visual way.

I would appreciate it. I wouldn't judge you bad for not doing so, force of habit in many cases.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:38 PM
dex

Tell you what mate, you come over for this

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33393

And we'll have a butchers around Denmark street, check out some guitars, play some music down in Kennington, I'll give you a quick "Punctuation 101" lesson and "Staying calm online 101" lesson and we'll shake on it.
How does that sound?

ilia

P.S. If Clive shows up you can have a proper go on his Black Machine.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , les paul , les paul standard , sounding guitar , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode