RGT220 HSOL - What's That Finish? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

RGT220 HSOL - What's That Finish?

I have an RGT220 HSOL. I don't remember what year it is, but it's the last year they made them, as seen here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rgt220h.htm

Anyone know what this finish is? I want to duplicate it on a project I'm working on. It's not glossy at all, and literally feels/smells like raw wood, but I know it isn't. Some type of oil finish, but I'm not sure which one it is.

Would tung oil achieve this, or is tung too thick/glossy? All the tung finishes I've see have some type of sheen to them... almost like a light lacquer.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: RGT220 HSOL - What's That Finish?

Heh... okay... tung oil it is!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 PM

You apply it. Let it dry. Use steel wool to "unsticky" it. Then re-apply as necessary.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM

Reviews: 7

I have always wanted this guitar, it is beautiful. How does it feel without the finish on it?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

sporatic, it's pretty amazing... especially if you're into "natural" guitars. I mean, if you didn't know any better, you'd think this was raw wood. Hell, I even like the way the guitar SMELLS. I know, I know... weird, but I've always had an appreciation for fine woods, especially hardwoods and exotics. I wish Ibanez made more natural finish guitars like this.

That's why I'm so adamant about finding out what type of oil they used on this model. I want to put the same stuff on a project guitar I'm building.

Based on what little I know about tung oil, and some of the demos I've watched online, it seems to leave a "coat" and sheen after it dries... which can range from minimal to full-on lacquer (if you apply numerous coats). That's not what I want. I want a natural, matte finish like on my RGT220 HSOL.

Originally, I was planning to use Watco Danish Oil, but someone on another forum recommended (strongly) against it. However, the Watco seems to be the closest I've come to duplicating the finish that's on my Ibby.

My original question still stands, so if anyone knows what finish Ibanez used, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Itīs not oil, but a very thin laquer of some sort. I too thought it was oil, but was since corrected. I have 2020SOL and 220Z.
If I were to reproduce the finish, I would probably make the laquer very fluid thinning it out and just a thin layer or two.
Definitely agree about these guitars, they are beautiful.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strand-old-man View Post
Itīs not oil, but a very thin laquer of some sort. I too thought it was oil, but was since corrected. I have 2020SOL and 220Z.
If I were to reproduce the finish, I would probably make the laquer very fluid thinning it out and just a thin layer or two.
Definitely agree about these guitars, they are beautiful.
Hmm, that sounds more in-line with the Watco Danish Oil (which actually has very little oil, and is mostly other stuff... lacquer, varnish, etc). I had Watco on a custom shop Jackson that I recently sold and always loved the finish on that one--very similar to the 220HSOL.

Tags
finish , natural finish , rgt220 , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode