RGT220A and Ibanez Backstop - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

RGT220A and Ibanez Backstop

By chance does anyone know if the Ibanez Backstop will fit easy (no mods) in the RGT220A? My RGT220A will be here next week and I have a backstop I would like to put in it but I do NOT want to do any routing to make it work.

Also I would appreciate any reviews from current or past owners of this axe.

thanks
Cossy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 03:23 AM

Re: RGT220A and Ibanez Backstop

far as i know, ibanez guitars either have the specific backstop routing or you have to rout it. so you'll know for sure once it arrives.. i could be wrong on the possibilities...

routing it is no big deal though, it's a tiny area. what are you worried about?

220a's look great, congrats! i'd like to build a custom like it one day..
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:10 AM

I think you should try it when the guitar arrives. Maybe there is no special routing, but if the backstop clears the tremolo springs I do not see any reason not to work...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM

it will work only if you put the strings in ||| position (which is gonna be hard if you'll use more than three strings, but i'm sure it could be compensated with stiffer strings)

and you have to drill two small holes to bolt it in, nothing more.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploki View Post
it will work only if you put the strings in ||| position (which is gonna be hard if you'll use more than three strings, but i'm sure it could be compensated with stiffer strings)

and you have to drill two small holes to bolt it in, nothing more.
By "strings" you mean tremolo springs, I guess...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 AM

lol, ugly typo. i mean springs of course
so let me rephrase, it will work perfectly with 6 strings (hehe) 09-42 or 09-46 or anything that can be handled with parallel position 3-SPRING setup!
you cannot tilt the strings nor can you add another string, because the backstop wont fit.
only thing you need to do is drill two small holes for the backstop.
the only problem seems to be if you use high tension strings, but as i said, there might be an option to solve that, but i'm not aware of it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Good News,

I installed my Ibanez Backstop today. The RGT220A had a route in the trem cav that allowed the Backstop to be installed without touching the springs and sitting/touching the Edge Pro just fine. I had my doubts on the "in-tune" string bending part but here is how that works.

If you bend one step up it keeps all other strings in tune. Go much further than that and the other strings will start to go flat but who really does across the neck bends playing two strings . Do not ask me how it does it considering that it does not "pull" on the trem as a Hipshot Tremsetter does.

Flutter, it does pretty much put an end to flutter. You can pretty accuratly mimic flutter manually and make it sound good. I do not use flutter much and so I am not worried about it. If I really feel the need to flutter, I can use my 89 RG550DY for that.

Return to Pitch, yep it works just as stated. Nuff said on that.

Tuning is a breeze as the Backstop does return the Trem to the same exact spot every time. First few times I went wammy nuts trying it out it did not. I was like “CRAP” it does not work. I figure the Backstop springs needed time to settle in to their “posistion”. Last few wammy sessions it came back perfect ptich.

As with many Trem accessory products like the Tremol-No, HipShot Tremsetter, ESP Arming Aduster, and ect sustain is increased slightly. I suppose this is because more string energy is going to the wood rather than being asorbed by the trem springs.

If requested I can take pics of it on the Trem cavity but that will have to happen later as my camera is in the wifes van and she is out shoping.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post

Flutter, it does pretty much put an end to flutter. You can pretty accuratly mimic flutter manually and make it sound good. I do not use flutter much and so I am not worried about it. If I really feel the need to flutter, I can use my 89 RG550DY for that.

Maybe its in the setup because all of Vai's guitars have em and he's the flutter king...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Maybe its in the setup because all of Vai's guitars have em and he's the flutter king...
Tis possible, I followed the setup directions per the guide from here. I will fiddle with it tomorrow and see what develops....
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I went to the evo thingy on Vai's site and adjusted mine to match the picture of his. Tuning stablily was not as good nor was in tune string bending. Flutter was pretty much normal. Thru trial and error I was able to find a happy median between stabilty/in tune string bending and flutter ability. These truly are cool devices.

As many have said before I just can't fathom why Ibanez stopped making them.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
As many have said before I just can't fathom why Ibanez stopped making them.
maybe because nobody uses the whammy bar like they used to back in the day when it was cool, so the demand for them diminished?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Congrats on your RGT.

Flutter can be fun but sometimes you get unwanted flutter if you pick/strum too hard so that is actually a good thing to not that happen for me
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM

Does anyone know where i can buy a backstop? thanks
Andreas
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasCy View Post
Does anyone know where i can buy a backstop? thanks
Andreas
Keep an eye out in our classifieds and that auction site.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Vendor

I have one.

Tags
esp arming adjuster , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez guitars , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode