RGT220A replacement pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

RGT220A replacement pickups

Hi guys. First post! I've had an RGT220A for around 12 months now, and am really happy with the look and feel of it. My only gripe is with the pickups. I bought an Edwards (ESP) Randy Rhoads a couple of weeks back, fitted with 2 EMG 81s, and although it is a much cheaper guitar, sonically, when plugged in, it wipes the floor with the Ibanez. My question is this: Has anyone replaced the V7 / V8 in their RGT220A with EMGs? I'm not sure how they'll sound in an Ash body guitar. Does anyone have any other pickup recomendations?

Regards

Chris

\m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: RGT220A replacement pickups

I wouldn't get the same pickups for two guitar, it's better to have more variations...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 AM

they sound different because EMG's are active and V's are passive.
if you want active electronics give seymour duncan livewire a try
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 AM

If you want actives for the RGT, try the Seymour Livewires (Dave Mustaine versions). I'm not a big fan of Dave but the pups are modelled after the most popular Seymour pup set, JB/Jazz.

The Livewire set comes with all the needed electronics for installation (pots, jack, ect).

I would either go with the Livewires or Dimarzio Paf Pros if I owned the RGT220.

Let us know what you end up with.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas guys. just realised i should probably have posted this in the pickup forum, sorry! i'll let you know what i end up installing...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM

me personally(since i do love that guitar...it maybe the next prestige i get) would be the duncan custom and stag mag. i already have that rig in 2 other alder/ash ibanez's. i love it. since it is ash(a strat wood) the stag mag makes a great neck pickup for the sparkling single coil tones. the custom is just mean and big. tames the brightness of the ash in the bridge and opens up the rest of the frequencies. has really good output, too. not active, but really hot. the rgt220a is one of ibanez's crowning achievements as of late. any of the neckthrough rg's are. good luck with this decision, i know it'll be a difficult one.

rich
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

On Topic, personally I like Paf Pro's as you can get most of the sounds you want outta them.

Off Topic - I am STILL waiting for my RGT220A come. According to my dealer (guitar dealer that is) its in PA being finalized before it goes to Chuck Levins and then to me. Anyway could you post some pics of your so that I may drool and dream until mine comes.

Thanks
Cozzy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
On Topic, personally I like Paf Pro's as you can get most of the sounds you want outta them.

I think those would be a good choice as well. Are you planning on installing a set on yours when it arrives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
According to my dealer (guitar dealer that is)

What "other" dealer would we be talking about?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
I think those would be a good choice as well. Are you planning on installing a set on yours when it arrives?

What "other" dealer would we be talking about?
When I get mine I will give the stock p/u's a good chance. If I like'm I will keep them, if not then I will get some Paf Pros. On the other thing.......
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:11 PM

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Well if you're looking for that metal sound the V7 and V8 aren't really suited for that (V=vintage!). I would suggest a Dimarzio Tone Zone since they're more bassy and middy and won't make your sound too brittle with that hard ash in the body. And its still a pretty high output pickup (375 millivolts), even though it's still not as high as an emg.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 AM

BTW - Welcome to Jemsite.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

Bridge suggestions:

If you love EMG81s in your jackson, consider putting an EMG85 in the bridge of your ash Ibanez. It's a darker sounding pickup than the EMG81 so should balance the brightness of the ash body. NB - I have only tried this pickup so far in an alder body/maple fretboard guitar - i.e also bright woods - it works great in that.

Re megatron's suggestion of a Tone Zone. I have a TZ bridge in an ash RG1302 - it produces a great raunchy classic rock sound (think AC/DC) but I wouldn't recommend it if the type of metal you play requires faster palm-muted riffs. (I'm guessing you play metal from your choice of a Rhoads Jackson) The TZ gives me a muffled response to palm-muting and the amount I mute does not greatly change the tone - whereas my EMG85 is ultra-responsive to different amounts of pressure.

Hope you find what you're looking for :-)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 PM

Reviews: 14

Just get a set of DiMarzio Breeds and call it a day (BEST neck pickup, awesome bridge pickup).

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , dave mustaine , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio paf pros , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck pickup , output pickup , paf pro , paf pros , randy rhoads , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode