RGT220A / RG1550..pickup dilemma..kinda.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

RGT220A / RG1550..pickup dilemma..kinda..

I have/had FINALLY got around to swapping pickups in my RGT220A (Swampash,natural finish)..when just today I happened upon the deal of deals. An RG1550M (Poison Pumpkin) which I've had a hankering for since I first saw it in the catalogs.

The store owner said, "I wanna move it,..lets deal"...long story short we did, I now have it.

Which leads me to the "dilemma"...

With a Tone Zone and a Air Norton in my possession originally intended for the RGT220A,..which guitar would you now choose to swap them into?...

I'm thinking, well the Dimarzio/Ibz's the RGT has now are "ok" , but in comparison to the V7/V8's in the RG1550, I may as well pull those out stick the T.Zone and the A.Norton in there till I get around to the RGT down the road...(then again I could try the Dimarzio/Ibz's in the rg1550)....

With so many models out there I know it's hard to ask a question like this to get first hand feedback, so I suppose it may come down to which wood the combo would work best with for now?...

Any thoughts?...sorry for the long post......

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Re: RGT220A / RG1550..pickup dilemma..kinda..

That's a tough choice. I'd probably put them in the new guitar. First off, it's new, so you'll most likely be playing that one more. Secondly, it sounds like you favor the Ibz's over the V's. Lastly, it's not like pickups are that expensive, you'll be able to get to the RGT in no time at all.

Also, I've had a guitar with the Dimarzio/IBZ's in it going on 3 years now. I like them and have no plans to swap them out. I have no experience with V7/V8's, so I might be a little biased to begin with.

P.S.
Make sure to do a NGD. I also want to add, this is one of the reasons I love guitars with pickguards. It's so easy to swap pickguards to decide what you'd like best. All you have to do is resolder the ground and input.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 03-04-2011 at 08:30 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I usually post from work and I'm interrupted constantly so I often make posts the make no sense and run on 'cause I lose my train of thought...

With the new "V7/V8" equipped guitar I won't be able to run it through my stage rig until the next show so I would be going in blindly, hence my original post..

Though,..playing it last night practicing through headphones,..I'll be going with your suggestion for sure.

It sounded like a blanket over the tone, especially when going from the PAF equipped PGM to these pickups. Not to mention volume/output drop, which more or less led me to the RGT220's pickup swap in the first place.

The "v" pickups offer even less than the dimarzio/Ibz's...

Thanks again,

ps,..I was trying yesterday to add pics in the "show me" thread, but I'm an idiot unless it's more or less drag n drop,.but hopefully I'll get the pics up. Now I have to do a re-shoot to add this one in,.haha

Ugggh,..told ya I get distracted alot,..the "show me" thread isn't even on this board....I'm such a scatterbrain..

Last edited by Mr Bungle; 03-04-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: ommitted some of post
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Here's one "Pre-Pumpkin"...will get snapping this weekend...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 185754_10150101830409947_666504946_6504814_3167002_n.jpg (79.2 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Id put the DiMarzios in the pumpkin and keep the IBZ's in the RGT.

Does that red Ibby have a pickup with 3 bobbins in it? WTF????
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM

Awesome collection dude
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks sheener...

Metalguy:

Bottom left one is a 540P "triple Coil"...yup came all crammed down at the bridge..hahaha....

The "magenta"colored(catalog description)540Power(I don't want to call it pink) and the yellow 540Saber were bought new back in '87/'88 when I was a kid saving up cash from cutting lawns and whatever else I could do.

The Orange Triple Coil (I need to take better pics,my Blackberry didn't showing decent color) was an addition a few yrs ago to more or less "complete" my 540 fascination I had back in the 80's buying my first "real" guitars. A neat little guitar to play nonetheless!!

Tags
air norton , dimarzio/ibz , rg1550m , rgt220a , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode