RGT3020 Love - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

RGT3020 Love

I would like to hear from RGT3120 owners and see some pics if at all possible. I was surfing the web today and came across an '04 in mint condition and pulled the trigger (freakin' GAS!!!).

I told myself I wasn't buying another guitar until much later in the year since I snagged all three RG20ths and a new an EC1000vtb very recently. I was wanting to wait until after I got my new Mesa Express amps and a new white Explorer before I GASsed out another guitar, oops, I didn't quite make it

Was '04 the first year they used the Edge Pro's? What is a good market price on an '04 RGT3120fmt with a generic case?

Viva la Neck Thru's!!!

edit: I looked thru the '04 NAMM pics from Rich's pages here http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2004/rg_prestige.htm and saw that the guitar I'm getting is an RGT3020fmds (desert sunburst) and NOT an RGT3120. The price hike of the RGT3020 over the previous year RGT3120 was pretty hefty. I'm not sure what brought that on

Last edited by screamndemon69; 07-07-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Re: RGT3120 Love

I don't have any pics, but I've played one and they are excellent guitars.

I thought my GAS was bad, you're is worse than mine!

If I'm not mistaken, I think 03 was the first year of the edge pro.

With guitar prices the way they are these days, it's very hard to say what a "market price" would be for anything, much less an RGT3120, but I'd say if you paid around $700-$800 or so you weren't doing bad.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Let's see some pics of the Purple one =) Man I LOVE that axe =)
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen alot of them on auction especially mint. I've seen quite a few RGt320q owners around here and that has been a major cause of GAS for me so this RGT3120 is the closest thing to it I'll probably have.

My GAS affliction has hit a new level for sure. Maybe sometime in the future I'll sell off a big chunk of my axes and buy a few JC's and if I'm really lucky I'll find an RG21b. For now I'm loving the choices available to use for gigs.

I second that purple one I've seen around, SA-WEET!! I'm getting the vintage sunburst (or whatever Ibanez called it) but I would have traded my left nut for the purple one.

So the popularity of these hasn't been super high I would guess due to the gloss-finished neck. I played one in a store (George's Music, Orlando) a few years back and remember the necks being a little thicker but still comfortable kinda like a Soloist if I remember. I also remember a VERY hefty price tag too.

So where's the love for hese guitars? We can share the love with the new RGT320's too if that helps gain some interest or ANY neck thru Ibanez guitars for that matter.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:50 PM

i got a 2002 rgt3120tdb. it is my baby. i try to keep the miles off of it. it is my absolute fave out of over 30+ electrics i own.

it rules, todd. great guitar, will be easy for you to used to due to the similarities in the jem and ultra necks.

rich
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:56 AM

I sold one recently.Great solid feeling guitar.The neck did remind me of a soloist.The workmanship was top notch.The list price was around 2000.A good used price is between 700-900.Georges music had some really cool stuff when they were located in disneyworld.I got my jcrg4 from there.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 AM

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations. I think I've seen those on the bay of e before.... very nice, indeed. Hope you enjoy it!

And, speaking of George's Music -- last year, I ordered an RG3120 (new old stock) and the thing was in HORRIBLE shape. It was from 2002 and they had apparently never been able to sell it.

When I got it, I could see why. The trem was pulled forward, the neck was bowed and had a slight twist and the frets were so dry that NOTHING could bring them back to life. It was a disaster. Sorry, I don't care what store a guitar is in, it should be TAKEN CARE OF within freaking FOUR YEARS of being in the store. At least new strings once a year for crying out loud.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
i got a 2002 rgt3120tdb. it is my baby. i try to keep the miles off of it. it is my absolute fave out of over 30+ electrics i own.

it rules, todd. great guitar, will be easy for you to used to due to the similarities in the jem and ultra necks.

rich
Do we get to see a pic Rich?

I have my fingers crossed everything is cool with it. I was told that is was near mint and the sales guy said he actually knew the guy that brought it in and said he was a pretty responsible guy with his gear, we'll see if that's true.

Let's just say I snagged it at a VERY good price going by the ballpark you guys say they normally sell for. I called them up and offered them $150 less than they had it marked and had them throw in a generic case and shipping across the country. Everything I looked up about the guitar said they listed at $1999 and normally sold for $1599.

I know the neck of the RGT320q is closer to what I'm used to but I did have a JC with an Ultra neck at one point that I was able to get comfortable with. The narrower width at the nut is the only real concern. If I don't get comfortable with it I will sell it and save up for the RGT320q.

I'm suprised noone is interested at showing off pics of theirs or singing praise.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

"out for delivery"

tick.............tock.................tick........ ................tock

Time is dragging until I hear the joyous knock from Mr.UPS man. I have to teach early today and won't get home until after 6pm when the front office at my complex is closed so unless it arrives around 6:20pm or later I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it. grrrrrrr.....
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Pics will arrive in the AM but I'm sure they will in no way do justice to ths guitar - WHOLY SPIT!!!

It seems to be in great shape with only a few small ticks or marks on the body and the chrome Edge Pro trem has very minimal play wear and seems set correctly.

I raised the action on the bass side a bit to put it right for my tastes and hope to restring (was in tune when it arrived hailing from CA) and give it a full work up and make sure everything is spot on (seems to be so far) very soon.

I'm really diggin' the Paf Pro pups and the feel of this Ultra neck so far.

The only amp I have set up at the moment to try it thru is a Peavey 1x10 bass amp and a stock DS-1 pedal. I'm very impressed.

I can't wait to actually try it thru an amp with serious tone. "CLEAN UP ON AISLE 9!!"

WOW. Just wow.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 07-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I pinched myself while getting my morning cup of joe and opening the case on this new baby

I need to use a VERY thin shim on the trem for the D and G string saddles and this guitar will be perfect in setup and action for me. I gave it a good cleaning (really didn't need much), new strings (9-42), new bushings on the trem bar and slight adjustments between the trem height and the spring tension and VIOLA! Whomever had this guitar had 8's on it - it didn't think anyone used 8's?

Here's pics:

I wish this pic came out clearer to show the amazing finish, pearl logos and how nicely the binding looks. Awesome, just awesome stuff.

I need to keep a spare pair of skivies around since I have about sheet myself everytime I look at it or pick it up.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 AM

ah....you got the rgt3020. cool axe. mine is a first year 2002 rgt3120tdb. IMO, the sexiest production guitar ibanez ever made. everytime i play mine, it reminds me just how sweet it is and why i love to play guitar. one of the 4 prestiges i own.

rg3120dr
rg2120xtb
rg7ctvv
rgt3120tdb

out of them all, the rgt is my favorite by far. mad props to you, todd.

rich
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks bro.

This is the sweetest axe I own (Jems aside). The deal I got on it was just sick. The RGT3120 is listed at $500 less than the RGT3020 ($1499 list for the 3120 and $1999 list for the 3020) so the store had no clue what they were selling when they had it marked as an RGT3120. I ended up getting it for about 30cents on the dollar for what they sold for new (new selling price was $1599 to give you an idea)

You gotta love GC sometimes and the fact that they sometimes don't have a clue. SCORE ONE FOR ME (finally! hehe)!!!!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I don't have any pics, but I've played one and they are excellent guitars.

I thought my GAS was bad, you're is worse than mine!

If I'm not mistaken, I think 03 was the first year of the edge pro.

With guitar prices the way they are these days, it's very hard to say what a "market price" would be for anything, much less an RGT3120, but I'd say if you paid around $700-$800 or so you weren't doing bad.
I added up what I bought this year ('07) and the total is 6 guitars so far

x3 RG20ths (selling the DY shortly though)

IC-400 Iceman (also selling)

SZ4020ntfs

RGT3020fmds

I came into this year buying the N6 Washburn in December that is an amazing guitar but is being very neglected when I pick guitars to take to gigs lately. I've been floored with the RG20ths on stage so much that at least one of them goes to EVERY gig and the N6 just hangs out with the rest of the neglected (not being played, but well taken care of) family.

I need to stay off e Bay and music store sites before I have to goto the poor house but at least I'll have nice guitars to keep me company in the poor house

You picked up some serious axes this year too. You got some big tag ones like the Jem20th and a Caparison (or two?). We need to get group shots at some point before the summer closes out and while the super K is still in season.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up Re: RGT3120 Love

Man, that's one gorgeous axe you got there. The headstock really sets it off.

Tags
bass amp , beautiful guitar , ebony fretboard , edge pro trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgt , jackson soloist , music store , neck thru , paf pro , string saddle , trem height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode