RGT3120 - Broken EdgePro Trem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

RGT3120 - Broken EdgePro Trem

Anyone seen this problem before?

I got this guitar off evilbay and have been fighting the seller for taking parts off it and now I find this:

Look under the B string. The metal piece that the fine tuning screw screws up and down against has broken off the trem. It's missing which renders the whole tremelo useless since you can't fine tune the B string.

Anyone else ever see one of these trems do this?

Beautiful guitar but this sucks !!!

Last edited by GregCrowe; 07-17-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Vendor

Re: RGT3120 - Broken EdgePro Trem

I've never seen just the tail break off an EP saddle, but obviously it's possible. If you want to replace it they're $29 shipped in the US and in stock.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 AM

Here's a diagram showing the part can be taken off. It sucks, but at least not as bad as you thought:

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/t_edg.gif
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

That diagram isn't really helpful since that's an Edge and not a newer Edge Pro but thanks anyway. Is there a diagram of the Edge Pro available?

So Rich, or anyone........ that fine tuning metal tail piece......... that's part of the actual saddle and not part of the base plate ?

This is my first experience with an Edge Pro. Even disregarding the broken fine tuning piece, I'm not impressed with it at all. These trems are a lesson in somebody trying to fix a problem that didn't exist. The plating is cheap and the fine tuners are in the way when trying to unlock the strings. What's the big deal with cutting the ball end off the strings? I find it a bigger pain in the ass to try to fit the ball end down in these saddles and try to fish them out when taking the strings off. I just don't understand why Ibanez doesn't just stick with an original Edge, the best trem out there.

Last edited by GregCrowe; 07-18-2007 at 10:12 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Who's the evilbay'r...... let us know so we can avoid him! Cheap bastard! Did he mention it had any issues? I mean...... you did ask, right? Anyway, hope you get it all sorted out.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM

just replace the saddle for the b string, it womt cost much

that guitar is incredible, i love 3120's and thats my fav finish, very jelous
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Who's the evilbay'r...... let us know so we can avoid him! Cheap bastard! Did he mention it had any issues? I mean...... you did ask, right? Anyway, hope you get it all sorted out.

He listed it as "no chips and is as good as new" and "You won't be disappointed".

Nick, are you sure that piece is part of the saddle and not the base unit? I'd sure like to see a picture of one of these saddles.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

OK, answering my own question....... here's what one of the saddles looks like:

http://i1.****img.com/02/i/08/14/e7/af_1.JPG

You'll have to type E B A Y in place of the 4 *'s.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 18

Looks like replacing the saddle shouldn't be a big deal. How much did you pay for the guitar? The guitar itself looks in great shape, so 29 bucks shouldn't be a big investment to get it in playable form. It looks as though the actual replacement procedure could be done while putting a new set of strings. If you're still displeased with it, perhaps we can chat.

Good luck!

Jimmy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm very relieved now. I thought I was going to have to replace the entire trem. This looks pretty easy. Now I just have to figure out if I can get used to the neck shape.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 05:28 PM

glad its sorted
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 04:44 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCrowe View Post
This is my first experience with an Edge Pro. Even disregarding the broken fine tuning piece, I'm not impressed with it at all. These trems are a lesson in somebody trying to fix a problem that didn't exist. The plating is cheap and the fine tuners are in the way when trying to unlock the strings. What's the big deal with cutting the ball end off the strings? I find it a bigger pain in the ass to try to fit the ball end down in these saddles and try to fish them out when taking the strings off. I just don't understand why Ibanez doesn't just stick with an original Edge, the best trem out there.
The 'quick wear' Edge Pro plating is worse on the older ones in my experience, I have a 2003 JC that wore off in weeks and a 2005 Prestige that's still pretty much as new after a year and a half !!! If you use the right tools (as supplied, with 'ball' ends) the fine tuners don't get in the way at all and if the string ball ends are an issue for you, cut 'em off !!!!! You don't HAVE to keep them on if you don't want to !!

GAZ
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM

*edit*: oops_ sorry
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Oh boy does this get even more messed up by the day. Here's a warning for all you people who buy guitars on e B a y. The seller authorized me to go out and by the missing parts he stole off the guitar. He said he would refund my money. I went out spent money on those parts and bought the trem pieces I needed from Rich. After buying those parts, I contacted the seller, sent him receipts and he completely blew me off.

I then filed a PayPal complaint and claim. Now here's where it gets really f'd up !!!! BEWARE PAYPAL !!!!!!!

Paypal has asked that I send the guitar back to the seller for a full refund. This of course is on my own dime for shipping and I have to eat all the parts I bought. While that sucks, that's not the bad part. PayPal has asked that I send the guitar back but the reality of the situation is that PayPal will NOT tell me if they have held the money back from the seller account. There is a very, very good chance he has already transferred it out of his account. So PayPal wants me to send the guitar back to the guy so he can keep the guitar AND probably keep my money since he's probably already transferred the money out of his PayPal account. I seriously doubt the seller left the money in his PayPal account. Any smart seller would have cleared his account out as soon as anything became an issue.

Beware PayPal !!!! Never send an item back like this since they cannot guarantee you will get your money back. You may just lose your money and your guitar both.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Vendor

If you haven't personally called the seller yet it's time to. It's a little harder to blow you off when you have their number.

Tags
base plate , beautiful guitar , david mccarroll , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode