RGT3120 RG3120 vs RG3250MZ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

RGT3120 RG3120 vs RG3250MZ

Guys... it's been ages. I've started playing a bit again. I picked up a new Charvel ProMod Socal... Meh. I was hoping it would be something like my early 90s Charvels as an import that I LOVE and play quite a bit. It isn't. It's thin and whimpy sounding and very light. However I LOVE the white with black pickguard look of it as I'm a huge Jake E Lee fan and always wanted a white superstrat.

So I'm looking around and see that Ibanez makes the Ibanez RG3250MZ in white with the black pickguard and matching headstock. Sounds very yummy but 2X the Charvy's cost.
I mainly play my old original RG3120 which is the best sounding and playing instrument to me... except perhaps my Les Paul Custom, That's the big dog. I also have a 2002 RGT in violet which is a gorgeous guitar, but I've never been able to get it to sound right for whatever reason. I'm thinking of selling that one, but I have a hard time getting rid of such a rare and awesome guitar.
Is there any reason to keep these guitars? Would there be much difference (aside from PU configuration etc) to the RG3250MZ? Am I going to be disappointed?

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: RGT3120 RG3120 vs RG3250MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Guys... it's been ages. I've started playing a bit again. I picked up a new Charvel ProMod Socal... Meh. I was hoping it would be something like my early 90s Charvels as an import that I LOVE and play quite a bit. It isn't. It's thin and whimpy sounding and very light. However I LOVE the white with black pickguard look of it as I'm a huge Jake E Lee fan and always wanted a white superstrat.

So I'm looking around and see that Ibanez makes the Ibanez RG3250MZ in white with the black pickguard and matching headstock. Sounds very yummy but 2X the Charvy's cost.
I mainly play my old original RG3120 which is the best sounding and playing instrument to me... except perhaps my Les Paul Custom, That's the big dog. I also have a 2002 RGT in violet which is a gorgeous guitar, but I've never been able to get it to sound right for whatever reason. I'm thinking of selling that one, but I have a hard time getting rid of such a rare and awesome guitar.
Is there any reason to keep these guitars? Would there be much difference (aside from PU configuration etc) to the RG3250MZ? Am I going to be disappointed?

Your thoughts?
I have the EXACT same problem with my '02 RGT3120. Honestly, my '03 RGT42 sounded a lot better.

In the situation your in, I wouldn't give up the RG3120 for any new prestige. The one you have is a higher all around quality guitar (depending on the condition yours is in). I would keep an eye out for an OLD 550/750 in white (there's a white with black guard 550 on ebay now). Other than that, you could also go with a custom built "tribute". For the money your looking to spend on a 3250 you can build a helluva nice custom.....with a Lo-Pro instead of an Edge-Zero.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Have you tried any pickups in the RGT? I tried the originals, a Duncan Scramin' demon or whatever it is. I Duncan Distortion, a Tone Zone and finally put EMGs Zakk Wylde set it and it just..... Something doesn't sound right. I can never pull the full sounding low mids out. The thing is a piece of art though.
My RG3120 will be buried with me. I love it more than life.

Is there a builder that does tribute guitars? I can always go the Warmoth rout too but they don't do painted headstocks as far as I can tell.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM

Try checking the capasitors on RGT if they're the same ones with the older 3120, those tiny cap.s influence the sound as much as the pickups.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
Try checking the capasitors on RGT if they're the same ones with the older 3120, those tiny cap.s influence the sound as much as the pickups.
Good point. Check the pots and the capacitors.

Also, the RGT used a PAF Pro in both the bridge and neck positions, while the RG3120 uses a Tone Zone/PAF Pro combo. If you mostly use the bridge pickup, the Tone Zone and PAF Pro sound nothing alike. The PAF Pro is a MUCH more mid/high balanced pickup with a lot more presence than the Tone Zone.

There is also a difference in construction, with a lot of maple in body of the guitar on the RGT, particularly where the pickups are, which will lead to a different sound than the RG3120, which is mostly mahogany.

You might consider calling DiMarzio and explaining what you want to them. They may be able to offer some suggestions. My thoughts are that you may like Breeds in there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Have you tried any pickups in the RGT? I tried the originals, a Duncan Scramin' demon or whatever it is. I Duncan Distortion, a Tone Zone and finally put EMGs Zakk Wylde set it and it just..... Something doesn't sound right. I can never pull the full sounding low mids out. The thing is a piece of art though.
My RG3120 will be buried with me. I love it more than life.

Is there a builder that does tribute guitars? I can always go the Warmoth rout too but they don't do painted headstocks as far as I can tell.
I did try quite a few different pups.The stock Paf Pro's, Tone Zone/Air Norton, Fred/Paf Joe, and also a Super Distortion. Of all of them, the TZ and SD sounded the best but none of them sounded very good. The guitar has a "quack" sound that I can only liken to a Tele. No matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of it. I tried different value pots (2x250k, 2x500k, 500k vol with 1meg tone, 500k with a 500k push-pull tone and a three way switch) and I also tried a variety of caps. I had the best results with a TZ/AN combo using a fender three way, 500k vol/500k Push-Pull tone and a .068 orange drop cap. The guitar finally had some "meat" to it, but the quack was still very apparent. I gave up trying about a year ago...... it's sat silent ever since...........

I may try again though. The Transitions look promising on paper so they might be worth checking out. I also have a set of Gravity Storms that have a killer mid range bite that might work. I've also considered trying an F2, but that might just be "pissing in the wind". It sucks because I usually have no problem making pickup suggestions for other peoples guitars but I'm at a total loss with my own..................

I may just be stuck with a pretty wall decoration.....

Jesse: I know you tried a few different pups in your RGT, was it the CL/LF set that you settled on?? Did you have any quack type problems??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Jesse: I know you tried a few different pups in your RGT, was it the CL/LF set that you settled on?? Did you have any quack type problems??
I honestly should have given the stock pickups more of a run so that I would have had a better baseline. I got the guitar with the original strings on it, so I should have at least changed the strings before deciding that I hated the pickups.

You're correct that I went to a Crunch Lab/Liquifire setup. I did not like the Crunch Lab, nor did I really care for the D Sonic I had in a different guitar. I just don't like pickups with the highs rolled off like that and I also think I'm done with super high power pickups. The CL may work for John Petrucci's particular setup, but that isn't a setup I care for or want to duplicate.

What I have in there now is an Evo 2. I would say that the RGT is still not my favorite sound out of my guitars, but I think the Evo 2 solved a lot of the issues I had with the sound. The highs could be a tad warmer, but at least they're there.

The Liquifire in the neck is a complete revelation. I can't say enough good about this pickup. It gives an almost perfect blues tone in the RGT. For me I always feel like neck pickups rarely give me a sound I want to use, but this is an exception. The RGT has become my preferred guitar for blues. I like practicing to blues backing tracks because the slower tempo gives you a good opportunity to experiment a lot without having to worry about keeping up with the beat.

So yeah, I'm happy with the Evo 2/Liquifire combo in the RGT. But everyone likes a different sound and you may not like what I like. I'd say that I see you generally recommending pickups with fairly similar EQ curves (Gravity Storm, Breed, F2, etc) and I'm usually going in a different direction (PAF Pro, FRED, Evo 2) where the bass is rolled off.

Just yesterday I was playing my RG8670 which I installed a Norton in. I was trying to convince myself that I like it and I shouldn't install the FRED that I just got in. I had almost done that when I played something I've played on other guitars and it just sounded wrong. The bass was just drowning everything out (mahogany guitar probably doesn't help). So I put the guitar down, plugged in my FP with PAF Pros and instantly got what I was looking for.

So yeah, super long reply but my point is figure out the sound you like and then try to figure out why a particular guitar may not be giving you what you expect.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I stuck in some Duncan Distortions last night just because I couldn't stand the battery going dead on the EMGs all the time. I'm still not convinced I had those wired up correctly.... Anyhow sounded like crap as I anticipated. So I started messing around with the wiring and removed a handful of jumpers that were on the 5 way to make it match my RG3120. For some reason they were totally different. Didn't do much really, maybe a skad cleaner. BUT.... Then I clipped the cap on the tone POT... That sucker just came alive! The DDs still sound harsh but they are more full and don't bottom out in the mud as much. Cleared them up some too. I may have to put the stockers back in one day to see how they sound as I don't really love the DDs in anything. Project for another day. I just don't have a tone knob now.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM

On my 3120, I prefered to route the tonepot to only bridge and also kept the cap. on the volume pot. The cap on the volume pot (0.33 ceramic) should tame the harshes and doesn't effect the high freq.s as much as a tonepot.

What you want is probably the "snap" in sound which is strong on the 3120 (since its bolt-on and heavy), I'd try lower output/open sounding pickups (suitable for your style) but set them a little closer to the strings.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 PM

I tried a 3250 today as a second guitar to my 550 and must say it compared very well.
Tomorrow i will take my 550 to the store to compare in the flesh before i decided to buy.
my 550 is still as the factory intended so i do expect a sound quality difference but the playabillity so far feels just as great!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Good point. Check the pots and the capacitors.

Also, the RGT used a PAF Pro in both the bridge and neck positions, while the RG3120 uses a Tone Zone/PAF Pro combo. If you mostly use the bridge pickup, the Tone Zone and PAF Pro sound nothing alike. The PAF Pro is a MUCH more mid/high balanced pickup with a lot more presence than the Tone Zone.

There is also a difference in construction, with a lot of maple in body of the guitar on the RGT, particularly where the pickups are, which will lead to a different sound than the RG3120, which is mostly mahogany.

You might consider calling DiMarzio and explaining what you want to them. They may be able to offer some suggestions. My thoughts are that you may like Breeds in there.
You Freakin Genius You!!!!!

I did a breed in the bridge today......... all the nasal, quacky crap is gone...... it sounds like a nice clean edgy guitar should. I think it can compete with my buddies SL1 now. I also tried a Mo Joe in the neck........ decent, but not worth the effort. I guess it's time to order an LF along with a new Breed.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:12 PM

For my next trick, try a Liquifire in the neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode