RGT320Q arrived today.... and.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

RGT320Q arrived today.... and....

It .... is.... AWESOME! The neck seems a little fatter than other Prestige models.... or, am I just imagining this?

The pickups kind of blow. I really tried hard to like these DiMarzio/IBZ pickups, but they just, well, suck. In my opinion, they're absolutely terrible. And, yeah, I know that they're real DiMarzios (I was wrong about that, no need to bring it up again), but sound-wise, they sound like crap to me.

Any suggestions for what pickups to throw in? And.... PICTURE TIME!

(me at work (teaching), girlfriend took picture.... note the RG550LTD in the stand on the right lol)

EDIT:

Ugh, I need to get to the f'ing gym. LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: RGT320Q arrived today.... and....

Congrats on the axe man!

Is that an ES-335DOT in the back?

Jimmy
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually, it's an Ibanez Artstar, lol! I do have an ES-175, though!

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 AM
GAZ

Nice axe !!!! As for the pups, if you think they sound 'terrible', just go for what you think sounds good.At the end of the day it's what sounds good to your ears that matters, everyone elses opinion is irrelevant. My irrelevant opinion is that either the pups/pole pieces are set too low or you use a bad sounding amp. Listen to how they sound when Magnus uses them !!!!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 AM

It is a nice one dude,
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 AM

Nice axe JT. What is that ES 335 like-thing in the background? It's not an Artstar I don't think
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 AM

Congrats!

That axe has been a big source of GAS since it came out in '05. I'm sure it sounds and plays as nice as the older version (RGT3020) I have but the look is much nicer too me.

I would possibly try a Super 3 in the bridge or a JB and a PAF Pro in the neck. I plan to try a Super 3 in my RGT3020 and leave the PAF in the neck.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:45 AM

is the neck finished all the way up to the top?
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
GAZ

Now, who said this I wonder :

'And, pickups don't account for NEARLY as much of the tone as you're giving credit. Pickups simply color the tone a little, not make the tone. Most of the tone should come from the wood, no the pickups.'

Oh dear JT, I 'stumbled' across your postings on some other forums, most of which tended to end up as arguments I'm afraid to say. I really don't know why you bother to ask for other peoples' opinions when you are so opinionated anyway !!?? And when you said the D Sonic is a 'horrible crappy pickup' you just lost ALL credibilty in my book.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 PM

sonned
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Gaz, I really don't care what you think of me, to be honest.

Thanks for your post, though!
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

And, BTW, just so there's no confusion: on the Petrucci forum, I made a thread about how I had tried out a John Petrucci Music Man at Guitar Center through a Mesa head, then played an Ibanez RG through the same amp with the same settings and with the same specs as the Music Man and that the tone was way more like the older JP sound.

It turned into an 'argument' because a few idiots in that thread jumped up my ass because they're Petrucci fanboys and probably spent 2 grand on a JP Music Man and didn't like the fact that I gave my OPINION about something. Gaz, if you're going to criticize me here, on a DIFFERENT FORUM, then gave ALL the facts of the thread - that many people AGREED WITH ME - and, also, if my opinion on a freaking pickup makes me 'lose all credibility' with you, then you need to get some help, dude.

I realize that I made an ass of myself with the DiMarzio/ IBZ fiasco, so I assure the rest of you, this is nothing like that.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Congrats!

That axe has been a big source of GAS since it came out in '05. I'm sure it sounds and plays as nice as the older version (RGT3020) I have but the look is much nicer too me.

I would possibly try a Super 3 in the bridge or a JB and a PAF Pro in the neck. I plan to try a Super 3 in my RGT3020 and leave the PAF in the neck.
Yeah, I remember we were PM'ing about this.... I don't know, that 3020 is damn nice, man! That has offset dots, right? The only thing I'd change about the 320Q is that I'd give it offset dots. The regular ones look nice, but for such a beautiful instrument, the offset dots would compliment it really nicely.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp RG View Post
Nice axe JT. What is that ES 335 like-thing in the background? It's not an Artstar I don't think
Actually, it is an Artstar. Not exactly sure of the model (AS-80 or something?). I just use it for teaching, which is why it's there. I don't feel like dragging my ES-175 into work every day. The Artstar is a freaking OUSTANDING guitar, though, I'll tell you.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 PM

The D-sonic is a "horrible crappy pickup". I bet you've got something to say to that, dont you GAZ?

Congrats JT, looks good!

Tags
alder body , backing track , beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , john petrucci , neck finish , paf pro , sounding guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode