RGT42 Tone Help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

RGT42 Tone Help!

My RGT42 (mahogany/maple neck-thru) seems to have a really "bitey" sound too it, and isn't so mellow/warm. It doesn't sound "sparkly" bright like a strat or "warm and creamy" like a Les Paul might. Instead it sounds lifeless, harsh/bitey and I can't seem to get a really nice smooth distortion out of it without it being muddy, and even then the "twang" is still there. I am playing through a Marshall AVT20, sometimes I fiddle around with Digitech GSP-21, and have a Dimarzio FRED in the neck and an Evo2 in the bridge. I've come close to getting a better warmer/airy/deeper tone to it by dialing the bass to 10, the mids to about 5, and the treble to about 2, and turning my tone pot WAY down. Could I have chosen the wrong pickups for my guitar? How do I get my guitar to sound more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8jCZuv8gpg&NR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Re: RGT42 Tone Help!

Even though the pickups are an upgrade from the original INF's, perhaps your pickups and the body are just not getting along. Evo's are made to favor upper-midrange frequencies so they'll even cut through with basswood and alder body guitars (2 types of wood known to mellow out and attenuated highs a little bit)- now put a pickup made to behave that way on a big old slab of maple- a very bright wood that is very much unlike basswood or alder- and you're probably going to have a harsher tone than you really wanted. The fact that it's a maple neckthrough means that the maple is going to have the bully-pulpit tone-wise over the mahogany wings.

What would help is to counter-act the tonal properties of the wood with pickups better suited. You may want to try a bridge pickup with a less high-freq-favoring EQ curve. Perhaps try an alnico-magnet pickup over a ceramic, which IMHO balance better with maple and mahogany. You shouldn't have to mangle your amp EQ to get an acceptable sound.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

So my guitar emphasizes upper mids/treble that's what makes it so harsh sounding?

So when I choose new pickups, say a Breed or a Tonezone, with low treble and high bass and mids, will the high mids still make my guitar so harsh? Or just help to fill out the sound? If so, would a pickup like the Steve's Special with a mid-scooped EQ be a better choice?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Reviews: 2

Are you positive your RGT42 is mahogany... or is it one with basswood sides....mine was an older one with basswood sides and the only thing that worked in it worth a shoot was a D-sonic /Airnorton...everything else except a Superdistortion was horrid
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 AM

that video sounds like a strat to me, or single coils
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok that video is probably a poor example of the tone I want haha

I just want fatter tone that's still clear and defined, but less SLICING! More warmth, less cold cut cut cut.

And yes, I am sure that it has mahogany wings.

How did your guitar sound with the Air Norton? I'm considering replacing the FRED with that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Sounded good n thick....but like I say my sides where BassWood and I couldn't find much of anything I liked better than the D-Sonic/AirNorton.......

Stock was still almost just as good......
I got rid of it cuz it made me crazy.

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge pickup , les paul , maple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode