RGT42FM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

RGT42FM

Hey,
I just got an RGT42FM a little while ago and im looking into modding it a little, there are some things i wouldnt mind different on it. I was reluctant to buy it since i knew it had the edge pro II in it, but once i played it, i knew. Well, I was wondering, what kind of Trems would retrofit into it? I'm not sure what would and even if i did do a switch, what would i have to go through/would i be able to do it/ would it acctually be an improvement/etc. Any info and personal opinions would be great. I've just noticed the edge pro II is really stiff to me. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:03 PM

well i got the RGT42 when it first came out, in fact i got it before it ever hit guitar center or any online sites... don't ask me how, some local store just had one... anyways it had the LoTRS II... i dunno how much they modded out the trem cavity for the edge pro II, but with a little bit of a shave job from a box cutter i fit a old school edge from my 1990 RG570 in it... and it was a vast improvement... but dunno how much of an improvement over a edge pro II itd be
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:39 AM

If it were the old TRS model, you could jsut do what the above guy did (And me! I did some light sanding on the sides of the cavity to fit an Edge in my RG470) but since it's the Edge Pro II, you really cant replace it with anything.

They moved the posts forward, or backward, I forget. But they moved the posts to a different location, and the Edge Pro trems reflect this and have an altered saddle placement to accomodate it. Unfortuantely, no other trem uses that layout, only hte Edge Pro and Edge Pro II.

Basically, if you want to upgrade your trem, you're gonna have to buy an Edge Pro, and rout out the back of the cavity on yours by a pretty good bit. Maybe 3mm deeper along the backside? When I say deeper, I mean extending the cavity toward the back strap nut. Becuase the Edge Pro's are longer than the Edge Pro II. No doubt intentional, to prevent this sort of thing.

I say if the trem seems to be working well, then just buy some locking studs for it and you should be good to go.

Tags
edge pro trem , edge pro trems , locking stud , locking studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode