is the RGT42FM a real good guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

is the RGT42FM a real good guitar?

I can buy a rgt42 with a red flame top for $350 NEW WITH CASE
I own all roadstars(RS 140's) and dont really know about RG's?
is the RGT a real good RG? i know it is a neck thru but what body wood is used?
and is the lo pro II a real good trem?
http://www.theibanezstore.com/oscomm.../RGT42FMDR.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
ZJH

Re: is the RGT42FM a real good guitar?

The RGT42 is a great guitar, but the flamed maple top isn't enough to make a difference in the wood-tone of the guitar. It's made of basswood with a 3-piece maple neck, but it gets a pretty good sound. And the Edge Pro II trem isn't the best trem in the world, but it's good if you have something like a tremsetter or locking studs from Rich. I have the RGT42, but just without the flamed maple. It's a great guitar to play on.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
ZJH

And with a price like that, I'd be on that like flies on sh*t.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:58 PM

yeah they are nice guitars. The lo pro 2 to me is way better then the lo trs they did put on them.

i dont know what type of necks the roadstars have on them but the wizard 2 is thicker and a bit more chuncky then the original wizards .

i got a rgt 42 off the trading forum and it should be here monday or tuesday i'll be sure to post back with all the details and stuff.

new for 350 with case is an excellent deal, i have seen the ones without a flame top go for 389 new without a case .
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM

if it's the model with the transparent red flame maple top (RGT42FMDR, as pictured), then the body wood will actually be mahogany, and it should be fitted with the edge pro II bridge and INF1 and INF2 pickups. the earlier slightly cheaper variants had opaque finishes, basswood bodies and lo-trs II bridges. neck construction is the same on both: 5 piece maple/walnut.

is it a good guitar? i love mine, but i do notice it's increased body weight compared to my 4 other rg/jem. edge pro II is a decent bridge, with the exception of a noticeably stiffer feel and a slightly inferior arm holder.

and, yes, i think you're getting a great deal. i paid around $1500AUD for a new one in 2003!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
if it's the model with the transparent red flame maple top (RGT42FMDR, as pictured), then the body wood will actually be mahogany, and it should be fitted with the edge pro II bridge and INF1 and INF2 pickups. the earlier slightly cheaper variants had opaque finishes, basswood bodies and lo-trs II bridges. neck construction is the same on both: 5 piece maple/walnut.

is it a good guitar? i love mine, but i do notice it's increased body weight compared to my 4 other rg/jem. edge pro II is a decent bridge, with the exception of a noticeably stiffer feel and a slightly inferior arm holder.

and, yes, i think you're getting a great deal. i paid around $1500AUD for a new one in 2003!
hey thanks man for this info!
so it is definitely a mahogany body right?
it should sound better than the basswood ones then?
i would swap the pups in it for duncans or dimarzio's?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 11:58 AM

assuming the one you're looking at is the RGT42FMDR, then yes, it has a mahogany body.

as for it sounding better than basswood, well, that's very subjective. most RG's are basswood and they sound good enough to have most of us hooked! it'll just sound different, is all.

it could definitely benefit from a pickup swap. the factory INF pickups are an improvement over the Powersounds, though.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo7v
assuming the one you're looking at is the RGT42FMDR, then yes, it has a mahogany body.

as for it sounding better than basswood, well, that's very subjective. most RG's are basswood and they sound good enough to have most of us hooked! it'll just sound different, is all.

it could definitely benefit from a pickup swap. the factory INF pickups are an improvement over the Powersounds, though.
i thought basswood sounded real good but the mahogany seems to be fuller and have more sustain which i think maybe would benefit a RG?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:41 PM

For the price it's a steal. Imagine how good it would be with an Edge Pro instead of the Edge Pro 2!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:07 PM
ZJH

Mahogany has a much better lower-end sound on its own, and I believe the sustain is quite good with mahogany. Again, I hope you've bought that guitar by now. ;p
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:22 PM

i got my rgt42 today and really like it. It is an older model with a lo trs 2 bridge which is really the only bad thing about the guitar. The neck plays well, and i think it is very fast myself. These are excellent guitars.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
i got my rgt42 today and really like it. It is an older model with a lo trs 2 bridge which is really the only bad thing about the guitar. The neck plays well, and i think it is very fast myself. These are excellent guitars.
jra, with yours i hear you can put a OFR without any mods?
i had head the original floyd will retrofit the trs no prob where as the one o amg getting with the Edge Pro II trem has a tighter route and a OFR wont drop right in without moding the route?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM

yes i belive that the lo-trs 2 will swap directly with an original floyd. I dont know much about the new edge bridges though , so i can't say for sure.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
yes i belive that the lo-trs 2 will swap directly with an original floyd. I dont know much about the new edge bridges though , so i can't say for sure.
the lo trs2 to ofr is a direct swap. Regarding the new bridges to a search there are numerous topics on it.

Regards

André

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar
jra, with yours i hear you can put a OFR without any mods?
i had head the original floyd will retrofit the trs no prob where as the one o amg getting with the Edge Pro II trem has a tighter route and a OFR wont drop right in without moding the route?
We talked about this yesterday, but essentially it should not require routing, whereas the other tremolo systems would. im not sure if i was clear about that, but the original floyd rose is a direct drop in

Tags
arm holder , basswood bodies , edge bridge , fixed bridge , flame maple , flamed maple , floyd rose , ibanez rgt , inf pickups , local music store , locking stud , locking studs , mahogany body , maple neck , music store , neck thru , shark tooth inlays , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode