RGT42FX, thoughts, mods, pics? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

RGT42FX, thoughts, mods, pics?

I snagged the quilt top black version yesterday (should be here next week). I have a JB and a PAF Pro ready to install when it arrives. For the price, it seems like a great backup with a fixed bridge, RG shape, mahogany body and neck thru for my nicer RG's and RGT Prstige axes. If the veneer top looks like hell I'll just sand it down to natural unless it just doesn't have "it" for me, in that case it will be listed in the classifieds here or elsewhere

Anyone else using these or have experience? I tried one once and was suprised with the overall feel and quality of the guitar but I wasn't wanting the green double wedge inlays or black flat finish.

If you own one, what pups have you put in it and have you been interested in using locking tuners with it? I'd love to see pics if anyone has one, especially the blackburst version I have coming.

BTW- I'll be putting my near mint IC-400 in the classifieds shortly to offset the purchse and will most likely use the pups from the RGT42 (Infinity series) for the IC-400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: RGT42FX, thoughts, mods, pics?

I played one of these babies for over a year. Probably the best money i ever spent on an axe. I`ve since sold her, and i am starting to feel regret. The smooth feel of the Wizard II is quite nice. It`s a tad bit beefier than the jem necks and Wizard 1`s, which gave it a feel of it`s own. I installed a set of evo`s on it and she was bangin since then. I had no problems with my Edge III on it. Flutter was decent. Sure wasn`t like my Edge, but it did what i needed it to do, for everything else i could just use my jems. Great guitar, solid build and superb bang for the buck.

You should be pleased when you receive it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

I opted for the fixed bridge version. I couldn't bring myself to get the trem version for many reasons but the main one being I own an RGT3020 with an EP bridge. I figured a backup with a fixed bridge might be the way to go so I can do drop tunings, double stop bends and what not easily.

Glad to hear you liked it. My RGT3020 has an ULTRA neck which might not be far off the W2 neck of the RGT42 so that shouldn't be much of an issue for me. I have tried other W2 guitars and they can be vastly different from model and origin, but I do know I like the MIK version far more than the MII version I tried on the RGR421fx...not for me at all

I'll post about it after I get it (with pics of course) but it is cool to hear if this has been a good alternative to some of the more pricey versions in the Prestige line.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM

I played the version they make that is White, with black edging. It had some "EMG designed" humbuckers in it, I thought it was pure awesome! The string tension was so very different from a guitar with a trem, took me a bit to get used to it, and not over bend.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Here's a nice stock pic I found, I hope mine has a nice looking top like this one:

and NOT like this one:

I'm kinda excited to see if I can add a piezo set-up in this guitar. I've been toying with the idea of lots of different piezo equiped electrics, this might be the one to try it out in
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 AM

todd, that is one sweet axe. i was originally going to be the first to post on this thread, but didn't have time to type... that particualr guitar is one of my favorite guitars ibanez has come out with in years. perfect for dropping to d and standard. drop an AN/TZ combo in it and it will kill. neck thru with stoptail in mahogany, what can i say, tone for days. a piezo would put that axe over the top. drop an lr baggs x-bridge in and it would be over. if i weren't pouring so much of my money into my studio and its gear, i would have one already. congrats on that axe. i am extremely jealous.

rich
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Here's a nice stock pic I found, I hope mine has a nice looking top like this one:

and NOT like this one:

I'm kinda excited to see if I can add a piezo set-up in this guitar. I've been toying with the idea of lots of different piezo equiped electrics, this might be the one to try it out in
Dude, AWESOME! I bet piezo is not too hard to put in... a little bit of drilling is all thats needed...

That thing is gonna be awesome!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I read your post on the other piezo RGT thread Rich and it got me thinking this would be the perfect guitar for it.

Who carries the types of bridges I need to check out for this guitar?

I found a few people that carry the X-Bridge, the fixed bridge version for modern (2 1/16 string spacing) and vintage (2 3/16 spacing). Not ure which one to get until I measure the spacing on the guitar. I didn't see anything but a chrome version so I might have to settle on chrome rather than black. The system is $139.99 and from what I'm reading it actually turns fixed bridges into tremolo equiped. I'm not sure if I really want to go tremolo with this fixed bridge since I like the idea of easily changing tunings.

The X-control is another $89.99 if I want all the active preamp features.

What other options do I have?

Last edited by screamndemon69; 03-02-2008 at 05:49 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Smile Re: RGT42FX, thoughts, mods, pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
Thanks guys.

I read your post on the other piezo RGT thread Rich and it got me thinking this would be the perfect guitar for it.

Who carries the types of bridges I need to check out for this guitar?

I found a few people that carry the X-Bridge, the fixed bridge version for modern (2 1/16 string spacing) and vintage (2 3/16 spacing). Not ure which one to get until I measure the spacing on the guitar. I didn't see anything but a chrome version so I might have to settle on chrome rather than black. The system is $139.99 and from what I'm reading it actually turns fixed bridges into tremolo equiped. I'm not sure if I really want to go tremolo with this fixed bridge since I like the idea of easily changing tunings.

The X-control is another $89.99 if I want all the active preamp features.

What other options do I have?
I know that Stewart and Stephenson does. They have the saddles, or a total bridge. W/e you want. I'm sure allparts has it too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

http://www.guitarelectronics.zoovy.c...ic_PreAmp.html

Here's the Ghost Saddles. Looks like an easy way to just replace existing saddles for under $90

Last edited by screamndemon69; 03-05-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Tags
fixed bridge , jem neck , locking tuners , mahogany body , neck thru , paf pro , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode