Rich? Anyone? Who knows the stats on the USRG PBC necks? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Rich? Anyone? Who knows the stats on the USRG PBC necks?

Hey guys,

I was playing both my 1990 S540 and my USRG30 last night and I was trying to figure out what the biggest differences were between them since they each play very differently from one another. The S540 should be the old school Wizard neck (my personal fave), but I can't seem to find any dimensions or anything on Rich's site or here. Anyone know the particulars of the PBC produced tension free necks on a 1996 USRG30?

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 01:04 PM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Been to both of those places. I fail to see anywhere that they give the dimensions of the PBC necks. What it gives is the Wizard dimensions there. Now, strictly speaking, I was told that these are NOT Wizard necks built by PBC, hence my question. If the PBC necks are built to the Wizard specs, hey, that's great. But I haven't seen anything that specifically said that. Contrarily, I was also told that the necks on my old S540 were "Wizards", yet the dimensions vary for both thicknesses and there is no radius measurement for the S540 necks compared to the Wizard dimensions listed under the USRG section in your first link. Understand my confusion now? I'm not just being lazy here... I've got conflicting info and am just trying to sort it out.

Thanks for the links,
Jeff
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Ahhh...well, the PBC necks are definitely NOT Wizard necks. If you've got both guitars, wouldn't it be fairly easy to tell what the differences are? If you're playing them both and are doing side-by-side comparisons, why do you need specs to tell you how they're different? Just curious.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, the main deal is that I enjoy playing the S540 more than the USRG30. Since I was under the assumption that they were designed to similar specs, I was looking for a possible clear cut reason as to why I prefer one over the other. While I can try to convert my tape measure measurements from inches to millimeters... I don't trust my measurements. The other thing is that I have no idea how to measure the radius of a neck. I'm wondering if THAT is the issue.

The long term goal here is to determine what I like and don't like as far as measurements go, so that, should the cash arise, I could have a custom guitar built to my specs and I would know exactly what I like vs. don't like. It also helps in looking at the stats for other makes and models of guitars.

Thanks again,
Jeff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 03:52 PM

Makes sense. It's been awhile since I had my 540S and USRG30, but I recall the USRG30 as having a slightly flatter radius and a bit rounder/chunkier neck profile. I've never paid too much attention to measurements/specs though. If it feels good it is good
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 09:12 PM

Jeff my good man. You will need to snag a set of calipers.That will give you measurements and then you will need a radius gauge to actually determine the radius of the fretboard and back of neck profile.

Perhaps you have a local luthier that will spend 15 minutes with you and go tyhrough the guitar? Offer him a six pack of beer or something.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Good question, Paul. I'll have to check the local yellow pages and see what's what. You would THINK a major metropolitan area like Houston would have at least a couple of guys that do this thing for a living. Isn't/wasn't Robyn guitars from Houston?

Thanks,
Jeff

Tags
custom guitar , local luthier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode