Right hand picking position - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Right hand picking position

Hey guys,

I'm curious as to how's your right hand picking position.. or in other words where do you rest your right hand, particularly if your guitar has an Edge Zero tremolo (so, a Prestige model of late).

For some 4 months I didn't touch my Edge Zero equipped guitar and I was playing strictly on a guitar with a Gotoh VS100 tremolo. This is a non floating tremolo with no fine tuners and with a very low profile! During these 4 months I gradually let me right hand rest almost on top of the tremolo. This caused my pick to attack very close to the bridge pickup (sometimes so close that I would hit the pickup specially with upstrokes on the high E string).

After 4 months of developing and optimizing on this, I broke a string and came back to my Edge Zero and I realized that I can't rest my hand the same way cause of the higher profile of the tremolo and the fine tuners getting in the way. So I am forced push my arm slightly forward and to rest my hand more on the strings rather than the tremolo and this feels weird (less freedom somehow) so I'm actually playing a bit worse now until I adjust to this...

Of course the obvious solution to the problem is to always rest my hand more on the strings than on the tremolo to avoid this discomfort upon changing guitars.

Have you guys encountered such issues before ? What is in your opinion the best place to rest the right hand for picking ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:47 PM

Re: Right hand picking position

I don't see how you can play like that and not have a sloppy mess ringing out all the time.

I play guitars with both the Edge Zero and Edge Pro trems. I play with the base of my palm/wrist pretty much planted just behind the strings on the saddles. This allows me to use the other side of my palm/thumb to mute the unplayed strings. Palm muting is also easier in this position.

My arm does touch/rest on the Edge Zero's fine tuners sometimes, but not in a way that affects my technique. I usually practice in the "classical" position, and almost exclusively on my RG2550Z so I'm used to it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM

my picking position is exactly like MAB's but Im obviously not as good as him. So that means i pick close to the neck pickup and my palm/wrist rest near the middle single coil pickup. Its actually recommended you don't rest your palm/wrist/hand on the bridge on floating bridge guitars since it causes the notes to go sharp.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozi View Post
my picking position is exactly like MAB's but Im obviously not as good as him. So that means i pick close to the neck pickup and my palm/wrist rest near the middle single coil pickup. Its actually recommended you don't rest your palm/wrist/hand on the bridge on floating bridge guitars since it causes the notes to go sharp.
I still pick very near the neck pickup...If I played an HSH, it would be right between the middle single coil and the neck pickup.

I like to stay close to the palm muting position, and I don't put enough pressure on the trem to cause notes to go sharp...most of the pressure is where my forearm rests on the body.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

yep I also don't put too much pressure on the tremolo for the notes to go sharp. Playing on a VS100 tremolo is almost like playing on a fixed bridge because there's not much more than just the saddles. I think I also place my hand on the saddles on the VS100... this allows me to slightly mute the strings with the right hand.

But on the Edge Zero, placing my hand on the saddles feels a bit uncomfortable because I can feel the tuners on my arm so I'm forced to slightly push my arm forward and rest more on the strings than the saddles. I mean the difference must be very small but enough for me to notice.

I guess you just have to take some time to adjust... like driving different cars and jumping from one to another.

I also play in the "classical" position.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Standing or sitting, my right hand rests right in front of the saddles, with most of my picking done over the middle pup upwards toward the neck. I use the side of my pinky as an anchor, and run into the volume knob as I pick on the lighter strings.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM

I had the same problem. I had a GRG170 with a floating bridge with no fine tuners, and I bought a RG1570 10 days ago. I cant rest my hand in the same place because of the tuners. My skin gets caught between them and it hurts So I moved my hand towards the neck a bit, more over the strings than the bridge now really.

I tried just not resting my hand at all, and it didnt work for me. It's how I actually started playing guitar, but then I started resting my hand and now it feels too uncomfortable not to do so.

A lot of people will tell you that resting your hand anywhere is bad due to the extra tension in your wrist and the friction, which both combined supposedly slow you down despite you might feel more confortable playing that way or not. I dont know if it's true but I do believe you should play in whatever way you feel more confortable with
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Well...I think I started resting my hand/wrist after I got tendonitis in my elbow. This way isolates my hand and keeps me from using my elbow for fast picking.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

I sometimes find myself that I rest my hand more heavily for certain things (like palm muting and such) but for faster runs I tend to hover the hand slightly but still I will have my forearm always in contact with the guitar
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

As I am a wheelchair pilot I obviously am always sitting when I practice. I used to have a Fat Strat. It rubbed against my wheels and just seemed hard to distribute the weight so I could not use my hands so freely.
With the JS1000 it has a smaller, much more streamlined body and weighs much less)which allows me to bare the brunt of the weight on my shoulders.
Other wise if I am picking I place my hand just forward of the bridge and generally pick between the pick-ups. Muting the strings with the thumb and that side of my hand seems to be working for me. Of course I'm such a beginner that I'm probably re-inforcing some bad habits.

In the classical position one doesn't rest their picking hand.....or do they?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

In the classical position (as in, guitar sitting on the left leg if you're a righty) I think you also rest your hand. Here's a video of John Petrucci playing under a glass moon... after watching the video some things can be observed

1) He switches pickups 7-8 times during the solo
2) Hand seems to rest for most parts on the saddles, and he picks mostly between the two pickups
3) Near the end of the solo he picks over the bridge pickup. I think this is the sort of thing that would feel uncomfortable with an Edge Zero because you would feel the tuners hindering under your forearm

Guess it's better to play on one type guitar and stick to it, instead of practicing on an old fixed bridge or something not to wear off your fancy new edge zero guitar and then when you make the switch your technique needs to be re-adjusted

And finally the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmq2C5kLoM
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM

JP anchors his pinky on the bridge pickup which is one thing I don't do.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks MindWalker & Bones. I (long ago) lived in Juarez, Mexico and watched a guitar player who simply strolled into the bar, set a chair on the small stage and began playing (I guess there are Spanish scales?) what sounded like a western show down. At times he played very fast and then there were times that the guitar "whispered". It was a great performance. If I recall correctly none of his strings were metal.
I am a beginning guitar player. I have had no lessons as I cannot afford them. I grew up in the 50's & 60's in East St. Louis, Illinois and I've listened to blues (and country when my dad played his albums) as well as growing up with Motown hits all around me.

I am nearing 60 years old. In my youth I sang in an 80's pop band. I had a good voice and found it easy. Not the case with the guitar. I am slowly learning but most guitar, (the freebee websites) playing vids I check out assume the listener has a basic grasp on music, or at least the guitar. Not me! Nada! Zip! About all I knew was which hand to hold the pick in.

Now I can play the "A" scale all the way up and down the neck. I have also used (especially when just jamming to a back track) the Pentatonic scale with some success. I practice picking as I am finding how one (attacks?) the strings also makes a major difference.

I am playing many chords but I can't seem to memorize them all by name.

So, any suggestions to free tutorial sites anyone knows that start with the BASICS! Any other tips about playing the lead in a blues band would be helpful and appreciated. I am learning the hard way, (no real musical knowledge and no teacher) and I am eager to start/join a band. There is a local band that (when I can get to them) lets me sit in and watch as they re-hearse(sp?). But they don't let me try to play along so I am stifled. These guys don't even want to answer any questions. They set up, drink (for the most part) beer and smoke some pot and play like hell. They laugh when they screw up but often I didn't catch how they messed up.

That's why I found this website as it not only has players, but a lot of Ibanez players. So ANY info on basics would be helpful to me.

How necessary is it to learn to read music? I know that Buddy Guy, Hendrix, Albert King and several giants were playing when they couldn't read music.
Is there a system that allows one to more easily learn chords as opposed to memorizing them?
I know these are probably inane questions for most of you. I cannot stress enough how early in the process I am and how badly I wish to learn the guitar. (and quickly).

I have been a martial arts instructor for the last 26 years and am wanting to turn that over to my wife and get the blues band thing going. I've always chased dreams, caught up to many of them and this has become my biggest dream ever. I am starving. I practice a lot but have very little understanding of what I am doing. My fingertips are well calloused and I'm still trying to widen my left hand to play barre(?) chords.
So my next question is does anyone have any tips that will help with both picking and playing rhythm, (as well as a way to more easily remeber the names of the chords I am playing?)

Did I mention that I don't know squat about playing the guitar? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share info with me.

Last edited by Billy G. Blackard; 04-23-2011 at 09:25 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy G. Blackard View Post
Thanks MindWalker & Bones. I (long ago) lived in Juarez, Mexico and watched a guitar player who simply strolled into the bar, set a chair on the small stage and began playing (I guess there are Spanish scales?) what sounded like a western show down. At times he played very fast and then there were times that the guitar "whispered". It was a great performance. If I recall correctly none of his strings were metal.
I am a beginning guitar player. I have had no lessons as I cannot afford them. I grew up in the 50's & 60's in East St. Louis, Illinois and I've listened to blues (and country when my dad played his albums) as well as growing up with Motown hits all around me.

I am nearing 60 years old. In my youth I sang in an 80's pop band. I had a good voice and found it easy. Not the case with the guitar. I am slowly learning but most guitar, (the freebee websites) playing vids I check out assume the listener has a basic grasp on music, or at least the guitar. Not me! Nada! Zip! About all I knew was which hand to hold the pick in.

Now I can play the "A" scale all the way up and down the neck. I have also used (especially when just jamming to a back track) the Pentatonic scale with some success. I practice picking as I am finding how one (attacks?) the strings also makes a major difference.

I am playing many chords but I can't seem to memorize them all by name.

So, any suggestions to free tutorial sites anyone knows that start with the BASICS! Any other tips about playing the lead in a blues band would be helpful and appreciated. I am learning the hard way, (no real musical knowledge and no teacher) and I am eager to start/join a band. There is a local band that (when I can get to them) lets me sit in and watch as they re-hearse(sp?). But they don't let me try to play along so I am stifled. These guys don't even want to answer any questions. They set up, drink (for the most part) beer and smoke some pot and play like hell. They laugh when they screw up but often I didn't catch how they messed up.

That's why I found this website as it not only has players, but a lot of Ibanez players. So ANY info on basics would be helpful to me.

How necessary is it to learn to read music? I know that Buddy Guy, Hendrix, Albert King and several giants were playing when they couldn't read music.
Is there a system that allows one to more easily learn chords as opposed to memorizing them?
I know these are probably inane questions for most of you. I cannot stress enough how early in the process I am and how badly I wish to learn the guitar. (and quickly).

I have been a martial arts instructor for the last 26 years and am wanting to turn that over to my wife and get the blues band thing going. I've always chased dreams, caught up to many of them and this has become my biggest dream ever. I am starving. I practice a lot but have very little understanding of what I am doing. My fingertips are well calloused and I'm still trying to widen my left hand to play barre(?) chords.
So my next question is does anyone have any tips that will help with both picking and playing rhythm, (as well as a way to more easily remeber the names of the chords I am playing?)

Did I mention that I don't know squat about playing the guitar? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share info with me.
Here are 3 Youtube teachers. You have thousands of songs to learn from them. They teach really well for a beginner, and they not only do songs but teach also theory if you look up their videos. It's easier to learn if you are watching a real person do it, rather than just reading it from a website. You might find them useful

They all have their own sites with paid stuff as well, but the content on Youtube will keep you busy for a long time Also, in the pentatonic and major scale lessons they provide you with free backing tracks to improvise on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rockongoodpeople

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe (also free site based on donations)

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks Paison30! I even have time today to check them out. Much appreciated!

Tags
picking position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode