The rise of the seven string - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
The rise of the seven string

I noticed that a lot of people have seven strings that would have been strictly a six string player

So why do companies like Ibanez have very poor seven strings on their line up

Will they ever reporoduce their 762x, 742x, XL series again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: The rise of the seven string

You're talking about ME.
I've been playing 6's for about 12 years, and now I got a 7, and I'm loving it.
And only an old and good Universe satisfied me.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild247 View Post

They have to suit all the price brackets, what if Car company's only made $50,000 cars and nothing else, not to many people would have cars, now would they? The 7321 is not a bad guitar, its a perfect entry level 7 string for those who aren't sure if there going to like it or not without having to sacrifice much.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:21 PM

certainly the lack of choice shows in the amount of requests and orders I get for 7's.

and now the 8's are starting to rattle peoples imaginations... I get requests for those too.

Its as I said in the the other 7 string thread, ibanez are making nice guitars but with a limited choice, thats why builders like myself are busy making 7's... and I reckon the 8's will be the same given a few years.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild247 View Post

The 1527 is basically a 7620. I've owned both, and if you look past the pickups both compare nicely - I actually think the 1527 (an '07) plays and feels nicer than the 7620.

The 7420 was nothing to write home about, especially after the 7620 went on clearance. The 7321 and 7421 aren't THAT different, either - both need new pickups, but I really like the neck profile Ibanez has been using on 7's lately, and most of the 7321's I've played have kicked arse after a setup, in terms of feel.

The S7320 is a more interesting guitar than the S7420, too, I think.

Ibanez's seven string line really isn't THAT bad - sure, there are no current mass production XL scale guitars, but Schecter's pretty much cornered that market anyway. I don't get what there is to complain about, save lack of colors, if you thought their older line was better...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Gotta agree with every one of Drew's points. The UVs are still fine, the 1527 is at least as solid as a 7620, the 7420 was a cheap offering and still widely available used. Long scales have been done by others, so I suppose there's that, but Schecter makes a longer scale if you can play a fatter neck. You also have the Xiphos pointy thing, which some people seem to be quite fond of.
And, there are folks on the inside working on an RGA7 model specifically because WE asked them to
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Reviews: 3

i think that all the japanese 7s were/are quality guitars. change out the pickups and they are basically the same except for the bridges.
i have the following: 3 7620s,7420,1527,7621,7421xl. all but 2(for now) have stock pickups. and they are all great guitars.
i agree with drew about the 1527 having a great neck. the 7420 is still a great guitar, although it has the cheaper trem. i love the neck on mine.
still the best deals are for 7620s. especially since a lot of people change out the pickups when they get them. used for under 400, they cant be beat. the most i paid for any of mine was the 1527 for 450. with an evo in the bridge.
they just need to expand the color choices a bit.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
And, there are folks on the inside working on an RGA7 model specifically because WE asked them to
Really?? They must be on a quest to make me happy
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I am strictly an RG player and its a pick from the overpriced UV777, the RG1527 which I have but the pick ups really do suck and the 7321

I wish they could make something out of anything besides basswood, maple or ebony neck possibly and have more colour options

As with the XL series, why not bring them back?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 AM

The fact is that for years 7 strings did not sell well at all, nu-metal died, and the number of players went down significantly as a lot of kids sold of their 7strings and went to baritone 6 strings. An abundance of second hand gear just meant a lot of new guitars weren't getting sold.

So when the 27" scale 7's came out, the 2027 (with piezo's), and all the other "different" models, noone bought them.

As a business, if something doesn't sell, you don't keep producing it "just because" hence all these models probably won't be bought back, at least not in the forseeable future.

However, with the introduction of the s7320, and the xiphos 7, those are new models, testing the water again.

As drew pointed out, schecter have the extended scale market pretty much cornered, so getting back into that, well, it's not exactly easy really!

Anyway, there are more 7 string players now, but the current crop is more technically minded, and a lot of people see it more as a speciality instrument for musos in a way rather than the view of it being a nu metal fad, which is a good thing.

7 strings aren't going to go away, but the demand for them is such that companies can't really make as many options as 6 string guitars, as it's just not profitable, and despite what everyone would like to think, profits are what drive guitar companies.

Now, all it is going to really take to initiate another boom, is a hugely popular band playing 7strings, which could happen.

But, have faith, the 8string bought out is doing a lot better than what ibanez thought it would do, so there is hope!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

good point

I was going to mention the risk in the 8 string and it is turning out well

but I know loadsa people that would love to buy any of the XL models and the stunning RG7cst vv

there have been a lot of people forking out money on these guitars and some are in bad condition

I guess if ibanez took every request from a customer, they'd go broke so I understand from a business point why it is so
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Reviews: 65

I agree with D. my 1527 plays nicely and I love it. Thank god I got one of the last in galaxy black, as I do not dig the blue.
Also people are crying for a new one, but IMHO the current Universe is the best 7string I ever layed my hands on.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 AM

what we really need is a RGA 7 string, neckthru, reversed headstock, ebony fretboard, no or minimal inlays, Edge Pro trem, mahog body / quiltedmaple top, H-H 5 way switch...

Okay, a man can dream sometimes...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubar„o Guitars View Post
what we really need is a RGA 7 string, neckthru, reversed headstock, ebony fretboard, no or minimal inlays, Edge Pro trem, mahog body / quiltedmaple top, H-H 5 way switch...

Okay, a man can dream sometimes...
How nice that would be I wonder how much you'd end up paying for a Carvin like that?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:16 AM

Where's VACANT to do some mock ups of this new RGA 7 string???

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , ebony neck , humbucker guitar , reversed headstock , sounding guitar , string section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode