Roadcore: Standard, Premium and Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Roadcore: Standard, Premium and Prestige

Hi guys, I'd to get a Roadcore in the next weeks. I have read a lot of threads on this forum but I don't understand if the woods on that different models is the same or are different (expecially between Prestige and Premium).
I don't care of eletronics and pickups (because I can change it) but I'm only interested in quality of wood.

Thanks a lot

Marco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:44 PM

Re: Roadcore: Standard, Premium and Prestige

I just checked the specs of the Premium RC you guys have in Europe. Here's the comparison:

Standard RC:

You guys have some cool models there.

1. RG365H a Semi-hollow mahogany body with 2 core tone pups (bridge humbucker with single in the neck) with a fixed bridge.
2. RC330T. 3 single coil Core tones, fixed bridge, Basswood body, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck.
3. RC320M. Mahogany body, maple fingerboard, 2 core tone humbuckers.
4. RC330. Tight tune bridge Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, 2 core tone humbuckers.

Premium

RC720: Mahogany back, rosewood top, rosewood fingerboard, tight tune bridge, 2 core tone humbuckers.

Prestige:

RC1320. Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, tight tune bridge, Duncan JB and 59 humbuckers.

When I look at all these specs, the one I would choose is the Premium. I dunno, I am not a big Duncan pup fan, and my RC is a Japan market model (for now), with an alder body and a super 58 in the neck (same pup george benson and pat metheny still use, to this day, on their signature semi-hollow Ibanezes). You could always find a shop that sells overseas and get one of the Japanese prestige Roadcores like my Screamer's green metallic.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ser...d=105&cat_id=1
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Banned

tight tune bridge >> TOM
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 04:02 PM

damn why do the european and japanese roadcore models rock so much harder than the american? i want a roadcore with a mahogany body...

guess i'll stick with basswood unless i can find an overseas dealer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I just checked the specs of the Premium RC you guys have in Europe. Here's the comparison:

Standard RC:

You guys have some cool models there.

1. RG365H a Semi-hollow mahogany body with 2 core tone pups (bridge humbucker with single in the neck) with a fixed bridge.
2. RC330T. 3 single coil Core tones, fixed bridge, Basswood body, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck.
3. RC320M. Mahogany body, maple fingerboard, 2 core tone humbuckers.
4. RC330. Tight tune bridge Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, 2 core tone humbuckers.

Premium

RC720: Mahogany back, rosewood top, rosewood fingerboard, tight tune bridge, 2 core tone humbuckers.

Prestige:

RC1320. Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, tight tune bridge, Duncan JB and 59 humbuckers.

When I look at all these specs, the one I would choose is the Premium. I dunno, I am not a big Duncan pup fan, and my RC is a Japan market model (for now), with an alder body and a super 58 in the neck (same pup george benson and pat metheny still use, to this day, on their signature semi-hollow Ibanezes). You could always find a shop that sells overseas and get one of the Japanese prestige Roadcores like my Screamer's green metallic.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ser...d=105&cat_id=1
Ok thanks, but I have to understand if the mahogany used for the body or maple and rosewood for the neck is the same in all models...

The price is about 300-350 euro for standard, 650 euro for premium and 1150 euro for prestige...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_H View Post
damn why do the european and japanese roadcore models rock so much harder than the american? i want a roadcore with a mahogany body...

guess i'll stick with basswood unless i can find an overseas dealer
I know of a couple. PM me if you want the info.

BTW, the Japanese market RCs are all Alder bodies. The GREAT thing about the RC1720M (the model I have) is that it has the Super 58 pup in the neck. That pup is AMAZING. It gets all the tones I want, and it does traditional metal VERY well.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco78 View Post
Ok thanks, but I have to understand if the mahogany used for the body or maple and rosewood for the neck is the same in all models...

The price is about 300-350 euro for standard, 650 euro for premium and 1150 euro for prestige...
Personally, I don't care about that much detail about the wood, but I would assume that the premiums and standards use similar grade woods, as they are all built in Indonesia and the MIJ Prestige might have a higher grade. I can't say for sure because I don't know and I don't personally care, but if you're that worried about it, get the prestige.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Personally, I don't care about that much detail about the wood, but I would assume that the premiums and standards use similar grade woods, as they are all built in Indonesia and the MIJ Prestige might have a higher grade. I can't say for sure because I don't know and I don't personally care, but if you're that worried about it, get the prestige.
Matias IMHO the wood is a more important thing in a guitar. Otherwise would be convenient buy the cheaper one and change electronics and hardware to have a top class guitar.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Matias IMHO the wood is a more important thing in a guitar. Otherwise would be convenient buy the cheaper one and change electronics and hardware to have a top class guitar.
It has nothing to do with the "quality" imo. A tree gave it's life to give you the guitar that you want to play. Who cares that it's "less" than AAAAAAAA class wood. A living organism was killed so you could play an instrument. I think THAT'S more important than the "quality" of the wood.

Ever since I sold my RG350EXZ, I've felt terrible. That guitar played amazingly, and while it probably needed some work done to it to get it up to where my MIJs are, that guitar taught me A LOT and it was a standard Indo RG.

Oh and let's not forget Paul gilbert, who used to purposely buy cheap guitars so that he could make them sound better. Yes, he is a special case, but if he is willing to put in the effort to get a nice sound out of a cheap guitar that doesn't have "quality" wood, I don't think the rest of us should either.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the "quality" imo. A tree gave it's life to give you the guitar that you want to play. Who cares that it's "less" than AAAAAAAA class wood. A living organism was killed so you could play an instrument. I think THAT'S more important than the "quality" of the wood.

Ever since I sold my RG350EXZ, I've felt terrible. That guitar played amazingly, and while it probably needed some work done to it to get it up to where my MIJs are, that guitar taught me A LOT and it was a standard Indo RG.

Oh and let's not forget Paul gilbert, who used to purposely buy cheap guitars so that he could make them sound better. Yes, he is a special case, but if he is willing to put in the effort to get a nice sound out of a cheap guitar that doesn't have "quality" wood, I don't think the rest of us should either.
It's my opinion naturally. I'm not I have no pleasure to play a guitar with "dead" and not resonant wood, thus I opened the 3d.
I buyed a Ibanez AR 220, good guitar but I can feel that the guitar isn't "top". I am not speaking of AAA grade wood, only resonant and alive one. I don't play metal stuff with a lot of gain... in that case the wood don't have importance on final sound. I play blues so a good guitar FOR ME is a guitar with good wood.
English isn't my language so for me is hard speak of this stuff...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
It's my opinion naturally. I'm not I have no pleasure to play a guitar with "dead" and not resonant wood, thus I opened the 3d.
I buyed a Ibanez AR 220, good guitar but I can feel that the guitar isn't "top". I am not speaking of AAA grade wood, only resonant and alive one. I don't play metal stuff with a lot of gain... in that case the wood don't have importance on final sound. I play blues so a good guitar FOR ME is a guitar with good wood.
English isn't my language so for me is hard speak of this stuff...
English may be my first language but I do speak Japanese fluently. I understand how hard it can be sometimes to try to explain yourself in a language you are not perfect at communicating in.

I play metal, but I am also trying to play some blues. My point is that we, as guitar players, get too wrapped up in things that, tbh, aren't as important as we make them out to be.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I play metal, but I am also trying to play some blues. My point is that we, as guitar players, get too wrapped up in things that, tbh, aren't as important as we make them out to be.
This is know as GAS!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
This is know as GAS!
You're telling me If I had more money, I'd have at least 3 or 4 more guitars
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I know of a couple. PM me if you want the info.

BTW, the Japanese market RCs are all Alder bodies. The GREAT thing about the RC1720M (the model I have) is that it has the Super 58 pup in the neck. That pup is AMAZING. It gets all the tones I want, and it does traditional metal VERY well.
I've read that the super 58 is a highly sought after pup in the ibanez line (it's one of the rare ones isn't it?). So you'd say it is much better than the "core" models that adorn the american and -i assume- european models?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_H View Post
I've read that the super 58 is a highly sought after pup in the ibanez line (it's one of the rare ones isn't it?). So you'd say it is much better than the "core" models that adorn the american and -i assume- european models?
Well, the Core tones are REALLY nice pickups for the bridge. They have a great punch and clarity for rhythm playing. The super 58 is a vintagey PAF type pup, but clarity like you can't imagine.

The combination of these pups can basically do just about any genre of music (outside of downtuned modern/extreme metal). I get GREAT clean tones and GREAT high gain tones (I play a lot of Judas Priest and these pups work GREAT for stuff like that).

Tags
roadcore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode