Roadworn series guitars.Whats the point? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Roadworn series guitars.Whats the point?

Can anyone tell me why anyone would want a guitar that looks like its been played when the player didnt put the time in making it look that way?
I dont get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM

Re: Roadworn series guitars.Whats the point?

Because you're a poser with no originality and want to look like the bands you see on MTV that have beat-up instruments maybe?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM

There have been some lively discussions regarding this and the "relicing" phenomenon. I too am not a fan of it, but some obviously are.

Same thing with wearing faded jeans. Some like em some don't.

Perhaps some of the folks who have "relic" guitars will chime in on their reasons.

In the mean time if you try a search with "relic" you might find some older threads about this.

Cheers,
-Andrew
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:26 PM

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Well relics have been popular for a few years now, I think much of it started when Keith Richards sent some guitars back to Fender saying that they were "too new". So they aged them for him and the trend took off from there. I personally think that guitars the are worn out, or look worn out are more popular with older players. My theory being thats part of the reason that Strats and Teles are so popular, people rember them from being younger.

I got to say I dont get it either.

Chris
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I have a 73 Strat thats been on more gigs than I can count.Now thats Roadworn.How about Vais guitars?If Ibanez made a Roadworn Jem no one would even look at it IMHO.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:01 PM

I reckon that if a battered EVO replica was made, or a roadworn version that looked a little bit like EVO then people would jump all over it. Due to their love of the Vai. But if he adopted the BSB as his new guitar that he was always seen with then the chances are that people would get those....

Chris
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 1

I personally wouldn't want a relic'd guitar but I can understand why some folks want them. Heck, I've seen plenty of 20 yr. old Ibanezes that looked relic'd, especially the cosmo black hardware.

I'll eventually have relic'd guitars but that will be from me wearing them down.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Without getting into an argument on the actual relic issue I've seen a lot of discussion about these guitars being really great quality for the price, I've even seen people say they bought one over an american standard because it felt and sounded better even though they weren't looking for a relic
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM

It's just personal preference, some people like pink guitars and swirls, some like old beat up looking strats, and dont want to wait 20+ years for them to get that way. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
It's just personal preference, some people like pink guitars and swirls, some like old beat up looking strats, and dont want to wait 20+ years for them to get that way. It's not that hard of a concept to understand.
Well said, I actually think the roadworn series look quite nice, I love superstrats to look pristine but there is something about a beat up fender that is quite appealing to me.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Yep, I like em too.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 22

the roadworn fenders look good but they seem to have gone overboard on the idea.
You are still paying almost 1k for a strat,instead of 2k+ for a relic series or custom shop.
However the quality is atrocious, fret edges slice your hands if you are used to playing nicer examples with those hand rolled edges.
The guitars themselves aren't as solid feeling as the slightly cheaper Highway one series (which wear really fast)

I guess it's the poor man's version of a rich man's poor man's guitar?

Vai's Evo and Flo would make great candidates for world class replica eh?
Like The Andy s. Tele of the Beck Tele, not 25 grand like Eddies.

Keep it in our reach.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
However the quality is atrocious, fret edges slice your hands if you are used to playing nicer examples with those hand rolled edges.
I'm calling bullsht on this. Fret edges can and will pop out on any guitar not properly taken care of. I'm relatively certain that you haven't played every Road worn strat and would be surprised if you played more than 2. If I remember right, only the American Strats have the hand rolled edges, anyway.

With the extra expense of using nitrocellulose-lacquer and the actual relicing process, you only come in at $400 over a regular standard strat. Fender is just giving people what they want (you know the same thing people here cry about Ibanez not doing). I'd bet there are tons of people who want a relic strat but can't afford or justify the Custom Shop prices.

I doubt you'd be able to get anyone else to make you the same guitar any cheaper. Sht, a nitro refin itself is around $700.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 PM

About the relicing thing. I love the way a beat up loved strat looks (only a strat or tele though) and I think tha ti would love to have one. But I would like to have owned that guitar through the years and be able totalk about ever ding and nick and the story involved.

But you know, some guitarists are really into the look of the instruments and being like their heroes. SRV, Eric Clapton and a host of others all play these beat up old guitars. That's where the idea came from. and like Cid said, they don't want to wait 20 years for it.

Tags
roadworn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode