Rondo Music? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Rondo Music?

I guess I don't have any real question, just wanted to see if anyones had anything to do with them before. Any thing you have to say is appreciated.

Plus I've already bought and payed for a guitar, Agile 827 8 string in tribal red. Haven't received it yet, but will post some sort of follow up if anyone's interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 AM

Re: Rondo Music?

I bought an 8 string from them around 2008. Great instrument for the money and lovely customer service!
Iīm sure you will love your love your Agile too!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 AM

Bought one second-hand a few years back. It was an 828. I didn't much care for it, but the build quality was very good. I thought the body was larger than necessary and the neck was fatter than I'm used to. While it wasn't for me, you could do a lot worse.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Bought an 8 string a couple of years ago. Came to me unplayable. I'm sure there was some kind of warranty but I just took it to my guy to get setup then it was ok. Ended up selling it pretty quickly after that. I like their pedal boards though
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM

I bought one of their $150 bass guitars. The idea with rondo and GFS is that you get a good bang for your buck. Honestly, what I got was exactly a $150 bass. My money could have been better spent.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

So in theory if you pay $800 for a rondo guitar, it'll be a decent guitar? Sanding a bit off the neck is a possibility I'm thinking, just to thin it out a bit
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 AM

From my limited experience, I wouldn't spend another $800 on anything from rondo again but you may have better luck than I did
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetar_kid View Post
So in theory if you pay $800 for a rondo guitar, it'll be a decent guitar? Sanding a bit off the neck is a possibility I'm thinking, just to thin it out a bit
Depends what you're looking for... For $800, there are a lot of other options on the market, even for sevens.

I've played a couple, and for maybe six months owned a Texan 7 string, which was their take on a seven string Tele. If i recall it was $450 or $499 new, maybe a $100 premium on what a Mexican Fender Tele would have cost me, and it came with an extra string. It played and felt about like a Mexican tele - Not exceptional, but no major issues and it sounded fine. Average pickups but the guitar itself was ok.

Essentially, it was a very unremarkable guitar, aside from its unusual specs, which at that price point is probably a good thing. I sold it because I quickly realized whenever I wanted a singlecoil sound I'd just grab my Strat, and whenever I wanted a seventh string I'd grab my PWH, as both were far superior guitars, and while it was kind of a cool conversation peice (and mine was the one on their website, incidentally), I hate having guitars around that gather dust.

At that price, it's probably going to be fine, but not exactly staggeringly exciting. I'd look at a Schecter C8 of sorts for probably around the same price if you have any reservations when you get it. Rondo DOES have a pretty good return policy, and good customer support.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Completely different class, but I bought 2 of their 3/4 size classical acoustic nylon strings for my daughters and they seem solid enough. I got 1 lefty and 1 righty and I cam able to play the righty with no issues, stays in tune and seems to be built really well. My only complaint is the crappy nylon gig bag that they send with it zips across the bottom after sliding in the neck. It is tough to put in and always pulls the strings out of tune by hitting the tuners.

For $50 each they're nice enough.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 PM

I have one of there les pauls, pretty cool guitar, neck is a bit thin, no scarf joint though. short tenon which I filled with wood under the neck pick up where there was a gap. ummm nice top. apart from that good value guitar.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Rondo is good at selling cheap, entry-level guitars. If you're unsure of whether you'd like certain specs, Agile makes some good stuff like 8, 9, and 10 string guitars. They also make multiscale guitars which are quite difficult to come by unless you plan to go custom or boutique. They have 8-string guitars with nice quilt and flame tops for $400. Where else can you get your choice of colored tops, maple or rosewood fretboard, and even mahogany bodies? You can get an Ibanez RG8 for $400, but you had better like black basswood bodies and rosewood fretboards.

Also, don't expect a $400 guitar to come with a great setup. In fact, don't expect any guitar to come with a great setup. I don't understand how anyone can complain about setup right out of the box. How difficult is it to lower the bridge and adjust the truss rod?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDean View Post
Rondo is good at selling cheap, entry-level guitars. If you're unsure of whether you'd like certain specs, Agile makes some good stuff like 8, 9, and 10 string guitars. They also make multiscale guitars which are quite difficult to come by unless you plan to go custom or boutique. They have 8-string guitars with nice quilt and flame tops for $400. Where else can you get your choice of colored tops, maple or rosewood fretboard, and even mahogany bodies? You can get an Ibanez RG8 for $400, but you had better like black basswood bodies and rosewood fretboards.

Also, don't expect a $400 guitar to come with a great setup. In fact, don't expect any guitar to come with a great setup. I don't understand how anyone can complain about setup right out of the box. How difficult is it to lower the bridge and adjust the truss rod?
Haha it's not... for some people. I'd think to think of myself as one of those people. It came yesterday and much to my surprise, when I got it hooked up to a tuner, was actually in tune pretty much perfectly. I just need to adjust the truss rod a little bit to get rid of the buzz on the higher 3 strings since that's all I really expect. A buzz free 8th string? Probably not
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM

What kills Rondo's stuff for me completely, is that they're quite happy to ship overseas, but offer absolutely no overseas warranty. I get that doing so would be difficult, but I refuse to take a chance on many hundreds of pounds, just because a company have a logistical issue with aftersales support.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM

They are not as good as they used to be value wise.

Tags
bacon , guitar , music , rondo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode