Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Rosetti - Avon Guitars - Any information?

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  vette6600 
#1 ·
My first guitar, bought used from a friend in 1975, is a Les Paul copy.

The headstock reads: 'Rose Morris - Rosetti - Avon - Made in Japan'

'Rose Morris' was the distributor, based in Denmark Street, London, and I think 'Rosetti' were the importers of these Japanese guitars to the United Kingdom.

Does anyone out there have something similar, or any other information you could pass on to me, relating to the history of Avon guitars? Did they ever export from Japan to the USA? (I think 'Shaftsbury' guitars were the slightly upmarket brand of Avon, also distributed by 'Rose Morris'.)

Here's a link to the image of both my guitar and headstock close up:

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4313/avonfmcfm1plusheadstockcloseup.th.jpg]

Thanks!

#2 ·
One of my friends has just started playing guitar, and he is using his dads Avon SG Copy. And thats Rose Morris as you said. They were made around the 1970 - 1985 mark, and were very good copies from what I remember. They werent quite up there with the good lawsuit copies though, e.g. Ibanez, Greco.

But they made SG's and Les Paul's and the like.
They were just another brand/company that tried making those copies in the 1970's really.

#3 ·
Thanks TG,

Yes, I figured it was one of the many copies out there, but it was my pride and joy. It also has sentimental value, as my parents bought it for me.

About two years later in a store, I saw a short scale bass, SG copy, and bought it. It seemed a good idea at the time, but I never really got into bass guitar, so I hardly ever used it. (I still have it though.)

Here's an image of it, should you wish to pass on to your friend.

[img=http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5093/dsc00119copysmall13ac.th.jpg]

Have a good New Year TG. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.