Is Rosewood ever better than Ebony? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Is Rosewood ever better than Ebony?

I wonder why some people prefer Rosewood. And I'm sure some people do because you see signiture model guitars with Rosewood fretboards. I would think if Ebony was just plain better then most artists would go with it.
I think Ebony looks and feels way better than Rosewood. Maybe it's just personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: Is Rosewood ever better than Ebony?

Exactly, its personal preferance. Different people like different things, its up to the individual to choose. Fretboard material choice is like anything else, some prefer maple, rosewood, ebony.....They all have their good/bad points.
They all sound different too for a start! Which makes a big difference - it depends on what sound you are trying to achieve.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 PM

I used to think that ebony was a step up from rosewood, in terms of the guitar it came on (ie, more expensive guitar would have ebony, cheaper guitar would have rosewood), then when I built a neck I found that the difference in cost between the two is hardly anything (a few £). So I think it's purely down to personal preference - I'm not that bothered, I have ebony, rosewood and maple boards and love them all, but some people really love one over the rest - it just depends.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Personally, i like macassar ebony. It's stripey like rosewood, but has that smooth, silky feeling like black ebony.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Personally, i like macassar ebony. It's stripey like rosewood, but has that smooth, silky feeling like black ebony.
Me too, though I don't own any yet. To the original question, rosewood is better if that's what you like. Some of it is spectacular looking, especially the brazilian.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Maybe it's just personal preference.
Yes it is

Sometimes folks go for the feel of the fretboard, other times the look, and others can detect the differences in sound that the different woods make.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Some of it is spectacular looking, especially the brazilian.
Just try BRAZILIAN PAU-FERRO.
Better all the way!!!(IMHO)
I'll post some pic of it ASAP.
Tubarão.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars
Just try BRAZILIAN PAU-FERRO.
Better all the way!!!(IMHO)
I'll post some pic of it ASAP.
Tubarão.
Pau ferro is an awsome wood, my favourite fretboard wood by far. I haven't seen/tried brazilian pau ferro though.

Tags
darren wilson , fretboard wood , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode