Rosewood neck content. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Rosewood neck content.

Got this one last week. It's from what I can tell quite rare. It's a limited production EBMM JP6 BFR w/ rosewood neck. Really it's just a regular JP6 (not a damn thing wrong with that) with a rosewood neck. Which makes a great guitar even better. The neck feels awesome and gives the guitar an awesome tone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 PM

Re: Rosewood neck content.

Be careful with that one, handle it with kid gloves. There's a reason we don't make necks out of rosewood, keep it in a climate controlled environment and away from shocks and stresses.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Many high end makers make rosewood neck models. PRS, Suhr, etc. I have never heard of an issue with their durability. Most makers don't make rosewood necks simply because of the cost.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Reviews: 11

kick ass! high five bro.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM

dude, seriously, get a humidor and take VERY good care of that. It will warp EXTREMELY easily compared to a maple neck.

that said, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Calm down guys. It's not made of glass. It is kept in a climate controlled room and will get proper care. That being said when i got it, it was dry as hell and probably wasn't quite babied. A bit of Fret Dr. and it is amazing. Rosewood necks are not super fragile. Hell Paul Reed Smith himself recommends using nothing more than a bit of lemon pledge a couple of times a year on his rosewood necks. Fret Dr. is surely better than lemon pledge.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
Calm down guys. It's not made of glass. It is kept in a climate controlled room and will get proper care. That being said when i got it, it was dry as hell and probably wasn't quite babied. A bit of Fret Dr. and it is amazing. Rosewood necks are not super fragile. Hell Paul Reed Smith himself recommends using nothing more than a bit of lemon pledge a couple of times a year on his rosewood necks. Fret Dr. is surely better than lemon pledge.

PRS necks are also painted and coated O.o

regardless, sweet axe, and it looks AMAZING Congrats dude.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:53 AM

Seriously dude, is that rosewood neck so fragile?
I always wanted one...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 4

AWESOME!
its not a limited edition, its a custom order.
Looking at a jp7 myself....

anyway, great score dude! play her to hell!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post

regardless, sweet axe, and it looks AMAZING Congrats dude.
PRS rosewood necks are totally bare just as this guitar is. Nobody that makes a rosewood neck finishes it in any way that I know of. That would defeat the purpose of using it. Rosewood necks can be left totally raw which helps feel and tone. They just need a little oil from time to time to keep them from drying out. PRS, Suhr, Thorn, and many other high end builders use rosewood as a neck material often at a premium price. It is quite expensive and all of these companies warranty it. If it was that fragile they would not use it, plain and simple. Even Warmoth sells rosewood necks.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-Vai View Post
AWESOME!
its not a limited edition, its a custom order.
Looking at a jp7 myself....

anyway, great score dude! play her to hell!
Yes the rosewood was a custom order option that was open from EBMM for one month a couple of years ago. So these are rare. It has the BFR inlay, but is essentially a normal JP6 with a rosewood neck. It also came with a BFR COA and had a unique "custom built" neck plate. The only guitar they do now with a rosewood neck is a special edition Luke model. This guitar is two years old and the neck hasn't warped and shattered yet
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM

I'm confused, it looks more like a new swap on a JP6 to me. To the best of my knowledge the BFR JP models did not have the forearm cutout that your guitar has (I have a standard JP6). All the BFR JP models had a normal body.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Read the post above yours.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that rosewood necks are fragile and warp a lot? It certainly hasn't affected my 20 year old RBM2NT. It has a pao ferro (Bolivian rosewood) neck.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
incorrect. I have 3 PRS IRWs neck is unfinished, and as stable as all others. No issues, no special treatment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode