Rosewood vs. Ebony - Is it just preference? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Rosewood vs. Ebony - Is it just preference?

This has probably been asked numerous times and I did a search but nothing came up. Anyways is one nicer quality wood or is it just a matter of preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 09:37 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

It's preference, totally....if it's good stuff, rosewood and ebony are both top for fretboards, and both feel great, but I happen to prefer ebony.....smoother, brighter sounding, and harder....I feel like I can play faster and more precise on ebony....but I can't screw up as much, because it is magnified on ebony
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 09:58 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

I think ebony is smoother too,but both are maybe the best options with maple.Anyway,youŽll get used to any of them in 30 min.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 10:12 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

My perception is ebony is more of a premium wood - maybe just perception. *I prefer maple but ebony is a close second.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 11:04 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

Ebony is about twice as "hard" as rosewood. *
Both are great woods and give off great tone. *It's really up to what the player likes under his/her/it's fingers.
BTW- My Dremel *hates* ebony. *:biggrin:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 02:56 AM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

Quote:
Kevan, Posted on 11:04 pm on Feb. 17, 2002
BTW- My Dremel *hates* ebony. :biggrin:
Mine too ! :thumbsup:

I also like ebony because it's harder (faster feel) and IMHO it sounds brighter.

Joten
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 12:30 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

I prefer ebony as well. Jem90 and JCRG-1 necks are my favs, ebony and few markings, love that blank, BLACK board. You can also ocacisionally find figured ebony that's way purty.

-bill
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 01:40 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

ebony ANY day, baby

~A
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 09:37 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

The wood makes a difference. *Play around with different fingerboards to find the one you like. *Personally, I LOVE the Pao Ferro Rosewood. *It's strong, yet has incredible coloring to it. *I dig softer fretboards. *Don't get me wrong, I love ebony fingerboards too, but Pao Ferro is my fav...

Check the link for my vine Pao Ferro fingerboard. *

http://www.jemfest.com/candid/Thursd...s/P0000755.htm

Gabe
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 04:18 AM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

I don't know, but I prefer the feel of rosewood, evry guitar I've played with ebony has just felt "eech" in some way (but maybe that has more to do with them being jacksons/gibsons, and my slight dislike for their necks (although I played a very nice jackson last weekend Ithat I actually liked, which was a bit of a surprise)), but it's personal preference and I don't think I have really played any ibanez's with ebony. But I know I really like rosewood...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 06:06 AM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

I love the feel of ebony but I prefer the smell of rosewood.
I'm not talking about the cheap stuff you get on far eastern guitars but the real brazillian rosewood on high end PRSs and the like. The stuff smells amazing but you do get some funny looks in shops when you start sniffing the most expensive guitars on the walls!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 07:13 AM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

I like ebony. *Just smoother, IMO.

It's funny, though. *In high school I liked maple (I think because of Van Halen). *In college & up until a year ago I liked rosewood. *I guess tastes can change...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 11:59 AM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

All the comments on Ebony depend on the quality of it. The quality of ebony used varies wildly and good quality Ebony (which I think I'm correct in saying sinks in water) feels different under the fingers to poor quality ebony and also produces a less tight sound. Good or bad ebony though are smoother in appearance and to play than rosewood due to the very closed grain as opposed to the relatively open grain of Rosewood. This also affects the natural sustain of the woods.
Personally I like the look of the very dark blank Ebony (gunks up less too!). I wish someone would make a fretboard out of Brazilian Snakewood or Pernambuco though - some very very nice colourations and very similar in feel to Rosewood...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2002, 12:14 PM

Rosewood vs. Ebony

Quote:
Spagbol on 4:59 pm on Feb. 19, 2002
Personally I like the look of the very dark blank Ebony (gunks up less too!). I wish someone would make a fretboard out of Brazilian Snakewood or Pernambuco though - some very very nice colourations and very similar in feel to Rosewood...
What does snakewood look like (colourations etc)? It's such a cool name!!

(Edited by wallopwallop at 5:15 pm on Feb. 19, 2002)

Tags
ebony fingerboard , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode