RS400 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

RS400

I have some questions about the RS400:

Are they kinda like a lower end RS or are they more around the mid-range in price?

What bridge do they use? Does the OE/Lo Pro arm fit?

I found a decently priced one, and I want to try it out this weekend, but I know very little about the RS line (pre-RG era). I'd be tempted to trade in my 560 for the RS, if it felt right and played like I expect it to, but not entirely sure what to do about it. The one I found is HH:

http://komehyo.jp/disp/CSfGoodsPage_...OODS_NO=340253

Looks really nice, and I'd try it before making any decisions, but I need to know what to look for in terms of issues these old RS are starting to have due to age and stuff. Any help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Re: RS400

Good guitar, ****ty bridge (Pro Rock'r). Yes, Edge/LoPro arm fits. Usually they're pretty solid. Pups tend to be on the hotter side, particularly in the 1984-85 models, using the rail ones or black covered EMG look-alikes. Fantastic necks - Fenderish C-shape.

The one in the link looks like it hasn't been played much at all though. Seems that someone did what I did in taking off the behind-the-nut string lock and replacing it with a string tree. If you're used to Edge trems, these pre-Edge trems won't cut it for you. They can be made to work ok, but they don't have the range or all round stability.

If you really want a Roadstar type, get an '86 model of some sort, unless you plan on decking the bridge on one of these pre-Edge models.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Good guitar, ****ty bridge (Pro Rock'r). Yes, Edge/LoPro arm fits. Usually they're pretty solid. Pups tend to be on the hotter side, particularly in the 1984-85 models, using the rail ones or black covered EMG look-alikes. Fantastic necks - Fenderish C-shape.

The one in the link looks like it hasn't been played much at all though. Seems that someone did what I did in taking off the behind-the-nut string lock and replacing it with a string tree. If you're used to Edge trems, these pre-Edge trems won't cut it for you. They can be made to work ok, but they don't have the range or all round stability.

If you really want a Roadstar type, get an '86 model of some sort, unless you plan on decking the bridge on one of these pre-Edge models.
Ah, that's why it's so cheap. The Pro-Rock'r is that bad... Tuning stability is #1 for me so maybe this might not cut it. What bridge could be used as a possible replacement as a direct drop? Kahler?

I don't mind the range of the arm and stuff, I care much more about stability and if they hold tuning okay. The neck sounds exactly the kind of neck I like too (thanks to my Roadcore teaching me the greatness of thicker necks )
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM

I can't vouch for how well the ProRocker works.. but I do know that parts are hard to find for them. In '86 they switched to the Edge trem, but had that same neck with a proper nut. You may as well go try it... If you like it a lot you can always get a Tremol-no or cheap stabilizer, so you can still dive with it. Looks to be in great shape!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM

^^ This is true as well - and some parts that are structurally important and under quite a bit of stress are made of very bad pot metal. I learned this the hard way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Ah, that's why it's so cheap. The Pro-Rock'r is that bad... Tuning stability is #1 for me so maybe this might not cut it. What bridge could be used as a possible replacement as a direct drop? Kahler?

I don't mind the range of the arm and stuff, I care much more about stability and if they hold tuning okay. The neck sounds exactly the kind of neck I like too (thanks to my Roadcore teaching me the greatness of thicker necks )
Well, the design is not good - the trem pivots on round pins, which rest on concaved posts. So there's a greater friction surface area than a knife design. The bridge saddles technically aren't locking as such, like a Floyd, more like screw-in stoppers to keep the string ball-end secure. I also dislike the separate nut and string lock thing these old ones have. Makes adjusting the truss rod also a pain as you have to unscrew the lock completely, unless you have an allen key with a really short tip.

There's no direct replacement - post spacing is too wide. That particular guitar has a carved top, so a Kahler wouldn't be possible, I think. There is a thread about someone retrofitting a Kahler to an RS530 from long ago, but that's a flat top, so possible.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Reviews: 2

For $250 I would buy that guitar ONLY because it in near mint condition. I wouldn't have any high expectations for it or plan on doing any modding. The most I would consider is trying to find the right top-Lok and call it a day. I would enjoy having it, but only because it's kind of a unique piece of Ibanez history.

One thing that I will add is that the Pro Rock'r WITHOUT the top-lok will be almost unusable.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
For $250 I would buy that guitar ONLY because it in near mint condition. I wouldn't have any high expectations for it or plan on doing any modding. The most I would consider is trying to find the right top-Lok and call it a day. I would enjoy having it, but only because it's kind of a unique piece of Ibanez history.

One thing that I will add is that the Pro Rock'r WITHOUT the top-lok will be almost unusable.
Sounds like I need to wait until I find an 86 with an OE... I'll go try it but replacing my 560 with this is a BAD idea. Thanks a lot guys
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:45 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Sounds like I need to wait until I find an 86 with an OE... I'll go try it but replacing my 560 with this is a BAD idea. Thanks a lot guys
Yeah, I wouldn't trade anything nice for it. This one is just a really nice "Wall Piece".

I'm sure it's parts are worth a lot more than what they're selling it for. Just the V5 pups and neck are probably worth more than the $250.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't trade anything nice for it. This one is just a really nice "Wall Piece".

I'm sure it's parts are worth a lot more than what they're selling it for. Just the V5 pups and neck are probably worth more than the $250.
Wow, the pups and neck are worth that much? Not worth the price maybebut that sounds interesting nontheless.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Agree with Ryc.

Get an '86 RG or Proline, can't go wrong with them. Some nice RGs on flea bay right now too - RG600 (hardtail, active pups, charcoal burst) and 410 (Cherry Ice, dayum).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/80-315676509

I found an RG530, an 86. Are these pickups active or are they just covered?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 AM

^^ That's better .

They're passive, but everything's epoxied into the cover (like EMG), so you can't really tinker with them.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM

I have an RS410 & a proline with a pro rocker. I do not use the bar much, but do have them setup fully floating with the top nut locked. I find that they stay in tune really well. What I like most about older roadstars is the neck shape.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM

^^ Indeed, the necks are fabulous - the combination of a fatter profile and flatter fingerboard radius is really good, imo.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
^^ Indeed, the necks are fabulous - the combination of a fatter profile and flatter fingerboard radius is really good, imo.
Sounds like the RC necks. They are 16 inch radius, but fatter.

Tags
rs400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode