RT series - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Re: RT series

Maybe i'll put this pickguard...

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/pg/ib...72_display.jpg

I still hesitate on the pickups...
I've just changed the strings and put some lemon oil on the fretboard...
And it plays far better...

the stock pickups are not so bad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 AM

I really like Cookiemonster's 240! Now that looks classy!
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 AM

what is the neck shape like? Do the RT's play well? low action? good fretwork? I think they look great.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:30 AM

The necks are pretty Strat like. It's a Viper neck, if you're familiar with how they feel. The frets are smaller, to fit the vintage vibe, and I don't see why you couldn't set the action any way you'd like.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:52 PM

I have an RT450. Great guitar. I didn't like the v8/v7 pickups. I put in a PAF Pro bridge - big improvement. Much clearer. It is a pretty raunchy sounding guitar, even with the PAF pro. It came stock with a push-pull coil tap on the vol pot. Many people don't even know it is there!

RCB,
I also have an RT150 that I'm customizing - quilted maple veneer, shortening the fretboard to 22 frets, converting to a strat PU config.

Heres my RT450:

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Thats nice. I need to find me one of these.
post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 PM

i used to have a rt650 in blue that i traded to lhrocker. smokin axe, but i didn't play it much. i miss it now and would love to track another one down. when i had it i put an air norton and a tone zone in it. those pickups were black so i bought chrome covers for them and it was gorgeous. the tz100 trem is cool, too. felt like an american standard strat trem. that combined with the magnum locks and graphite nut, would dive like a floyd and come back in tune. i could scoop, warble, flutter and dive like crazy on that one, but the pull ups were limited. the rt650 had a coil tap on it and was really cool for getting strat single coil tones. the viper neck does take a bit to get used to if you like wizards, but if your used to a strat, it was easy. felt like a modern c on an american strat. there was a question on the rounded fatter body on the rt's. its true, the pickguards are more round because the guitar itself less pointy than an rg. killer axe, though i had to do some fret finishing on it and add a string tree to it to relieve the string tension on the b and e strings.

on that rt450, is that a wilkinson trem on it? i figured that those would be drop in replacements. i would love to get an rt650 and drop an lr baggs x-bridge in it.

rich
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:02 PM

Rich,

That's a good idea re. the chrome covers. I'll give it a try.

The Wilkinson is aftermarket. And yes, it drops right in, as will any strat style 2 point bridge. I think the Wilkinson looks really cool. But honestly, the TZ that comes stock performs flawlessly, and maybe sounds a little fuller than the Wilk. I have Wilk VG300, with the bend steel saddles I need to try on this guitar. As far as the string tees go, you shouldn't need them with the magnum (gotoh) tuners. They put the string close enough to the headstock that tees are not needed. And part of the reason the RT450 stays in tune so well is because of the lack of tees (RT150 has tees). I love the neck profile - like it better than my strat neck. Once you get used to the Viper, a Wizard neck feels like spaghetti.

-Fuze
post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:42 AM

Is there any real difference in quality between the RT150's and 450's, 650's? or is it just different options.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

I think it's only equipment options that are not the same...

The stock pu's are cheaper on the 150, no push pull system, strat 57/62 like tremolo.
No sunburst too, and one color pickguards...

But I think there's no difference for the wood choice....

The 150 is perfect for customizing
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Rotti,

There are hardware and finish differences, but the wood and craftsmanship are the same. The hardware differences are more than just flash. The locking tuners and TZ bridge on the 450 make a huge difference - this guitar stays in tune and feels solid. The 240 and 650 share the same hardware as the 450, just different finishes. Just look for one without string tees and you'll know it's got the good hardware.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Just look for one without string tees and you'll know it's got the good hardware.
Awsome thanks.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Can anybody confirm that the RT150 and RT450's pickguards are exactly the same size (number and position of holes, space taken by the vibrato)

Thanks a lot
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 AM

Hmmm... Not really sure on that one. Rich has a scan of the '93 catalog, and Glen has the Japanese supplement. Try looking at those, and compare. They probably are the same.
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

they look the same on the catalogs...

if there's a difference, it's a very tiny one.
I ordered a custom pickguard from terrapin guitars, which is supposed to fit a RT450...I hope it will fit my RT150...

Tags
air norton , alder bodies , alder body , bare knuckle pickups , body shape , bridge pickup , coil tap , custom pickguard , fixed bridge , floyd rose , fret board , gotoh tuners , graphite nut , locking nut , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mexican strat , monkey grip , neck position , neck shape , paf pro , paf pros , pro edge , pull coil , pull coil tap , quilted maple , rod adjustment , rosewood fretboard , sounding guitar , strat bridge , strat style , strat trem , string tension , string tree , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , vintage strat , viper neck , virtual paf , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode