RT series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

RT series

Hi !

here are some pics of my new RT150

Made in Japan, 1992, 24 frets with vintage strat tremolo and HSH configuration.
Body is alder, maple neck with rosewood fretboard.
The bridge pickup up is not the stock V6 but a Dimarzio Double Whammy Dp150. I don't like it in black so maybe i'll change it for a white pickup.

A strong strat feeling for this sweet little axe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Re: RT series

Congratulations. That's a great looking guitar.

Is the lower horn fatter than on an RG / Jem? Or is it just rounded off at the end?
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

I think it's exactly the same body shape than a RG or a JEM. I'll check it with my RG 1880 when I'll be back home
It's a pretty rare thing to have a RG body made of alder. The only other case is the JEM 7VWH I think.
post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlan75018
I think it's exactly the same body shape than a RG or a JEM. I'll check it with my RG 1880 when I'll be back home
It's a pretty rare thing to have a RG body made of alder. The only other case is the JEM 7VWH I think.
You forgot USRG 10, 20 and 30's. They have alder bodies.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Cool! I have an RT150BK, and it is a great guitar! The stock pups suck(no point in beating around the bush- they just SUCK ), but otherwise it's fantastic.

The body shape is a bit different. The lower horn is rounded off, to make it look more "vintage".
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

did you replace the pickups on yours ?

which one did you choose ?
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I looks just like a Jem to me...
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
did you replace the pickups on yours ?

which one did you choose ?
Not yet. I'm going to drop some PAF Pros, or maybe a Virtual PAF, in there, when I have the extra money to do so.

Right now, it's just my "jam on the couch" guitar. I'm really trying to decide if I want to go all out, and completely customize it.

I think I might even put a monkey grip on it, if I can get the balls to try it myself, that is!
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I've got a DP150 "Double Whammy" on bridge.
Even if it's not the best pickup ever... it's far better than the stock one...
The stock ones are not so bad for cleans, but very muddy for distorsion

I'm thinking of a texas special on the middle and Bluesbucker on neck
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't believe I've ever used a Double Whammy, so I'm not sure what they would sound like. Regardless, I'm sure it's light years better than the V6 that was in there.

The TS, and Bluesbucker combo should sound very nice!
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 AM
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname
Not yet. I'm going to drop some PAF Pros, or maybe a Virtual PAF, in there, when I have the extra money to do so.

Right now, it's just my "jam on the couch" guitar. I'm really trying to decide if I want to go all out, and completely customize it.

I think I might even put a monkey grip on it, if I can get the balls to try it myself, that is!
Its a great guitar to customize. The body, the neck and the hardware (brige and tuners) are good enough to keep them, so that lets you focus on the rest of the guitar. Mine is an RT650 and it comes with locking tuners, Does the 150 also come with locking tuners?

Tomorrow my custom RT (heavily customized with exotic woods veneers on body and headstock and an exotic woog pickguard) is going to be finished. I have a Super Distorsion on the bridge a fender american standard in the middle and a Paf Pro in the neck. That is a very good combo if you ever decide to swap the pups.

Congrats on the guitar, I would definately keep it and customize it, although I would try to keep the vintage look. A monkey grip would make it look like jem copy made in China.
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 10:47 AM

The RT150 has the same neck, and boby as the 650, but, it has different(cheaper) hardware/electronics.

They have regular Gotoh tuners, and a traditional six screw trem. Not bad, but could stand to be upgraded.

I've also had the same thoughts, on the monkey grip. But, it still might look cool... I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I think I might do the grip, but keep the rest of it vintage looking- a vintage Jem, maybe?

As for YOU'RE guitars, I can't wait to see how the RT comes out. I'm sure it's going to be just as beautiful as the others!
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:18 AM
RCB

Here s a suggestion for modding the RT including the monkey grip:

Monkey grip
Add a quilted maple veneer (or any "yellowish" figured wood) finished with a translucent green clearcoar (body and headstock).
Figured walnut or bubinga pickguard (transulecent clearcoat with natural colour).

Now if you really want to make an outstanding custom, you should probably add a vine inlay on the neck AND a vine inlay on the contour fo the body. The inlay on the neck should be abalone and the inlay on the body should be made of wood (the same as the pickguard). Now this is an expensive and hard to do project, but it will look killer!

About my RT, keep in mind that its not an expensive customization, so even though I m happy with it, it probably wont be as good as the others custom projects that were much more expensive. I guess its safe to say that it will be as good as the S.

Last edited by RCB; 04-21-2005 at 11:26 AM.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I love the aged white color on mine, so I'll keep it as is.

I also love the traditionnal vintage strat bridge with vintage saddles.
So I'll keep it too...

I think i'll change the pickguard with a perloid white or perloid silver one, and also the pickups (because the stock pickups are not good)
I may change the hardware too, adding a push push for example to add new positions.

But the main "customizing" will be a pickguard + pickups change
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM

Wink Re: RT series

here's a pic of my modded rt240.

i ripped out the neck and middle pickups , got a custom scratchplate made (white pearl) and blocked the trem off (to give more sustain...you can actualy feel the guitar resonate when playing due to better transfer of the strings energy).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/les287/rt1.jpg

Tags
air norton , alder bodies , alder body , bare knuckle pickups , body shape , bridge pickup , coil tap , custom pickguard , fixed bridge , floyd rose , fret board , gotoh tuners , graphite nut , locking nut , locking tuners , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mexican strat , monkey grip , neck position , neck shape , paf pro , paf pros , pro edge , pull coil , pull coil tap , quilted maple , rod adjustment , rosewood fretboard , sounding guitar , strat bridge , strat style , strat trem , string tension , string tree , tone zone , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , vintage strat , viper neck , virtual paf , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode