RV470 (and GAS) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

RV470 (and GAS)

Hey Guys,
This has been a bad day for GAS. Every morning I get up at 4:00 to play for a few hours before work. Then I fire up the computer to see what's new here in the forum, in the auctions, and so on. So first I bumped across an RT650 in blue gravure. There were a lot of nice things said in an old post about those guitars. I pondered it awhile, then went for it. Okay, that was number one.

Then I happened across something I'd been looking for for awhile. In 1993 only, Ibanez made the RV470. It was pretty unique for the Radius series in that it had the AANJ, a Viper neck, an alder body, HSH pickups, a clear pickguard, and a vintage tremelo. Barely a Radius when you add all that up. It's similar to the R442 (bought one of those recently from Scott74 and like it a lot) that also had a vintage trem and an alder body, but the rest of it is different.

So I went for it. Two guitars in one morning = Very bad GAS. Too much coffee. No college for the kids. Walk to work. Top Ramen for lunch. Have to unravel speaker wire to string these things up... Something has to go, but not sure what yet (neither of the 2 new ones though).

Anyway, thought I'd share,
stratoskier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

sniffle, sniffle... Nobody cares. A Radius with AANJ: that's like, rare! Too bad about the kids' college fund though. I'm gonna have to build some sort of lean-to shelter out of all these guitars. Cover it with a tarp or something. Somehow, we'll get through this...
stratoskier
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:19 PM

I started feeling guilty when I hit nine guitars. After a while its only color differences. LOL. I still dont have the big collection. I still need a guitar with p-90s (hopefully a js mohog) a 12 string electric, and acoustic, and a strat style. Id like to have jeanie build me a 3 single coil pickguard and get some emg sa's to drop in it. Man gas. Right now Ive got a takamine nylon string, samick nylon string, Gibson archtop, 2 Ibanez rgs, and Ibanez rg 7, a 68 gibson sg, a kay es-335 copy, a vantage les paul copy, whoo. Too many
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:46 AM

Congrats on the new axes
My strategy is to own lots of guitars when I get in a situation to start with kids, I am just a student now and I enjoy spending my money on guitars without feeling the slightest guilt (except maybe not having the funds to own a car)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:09 AM

Skier, I feel your gassy twinges as I spend too much time on the prowl myself. I have owned both the RT650 and the RV and found them to be typically well made fun guitars. The body of the RV is not quite the same as a Radius - there are some subtle differences but overall it is a very comfy guitar to play. I had a Fred and PAF Pro setup in mine and it was very cool. The only problem I had was the bottom E string popping out of the nut slot. The angle of the headstock doesn't allow enough downward pressure on the nut so a tree is in order, but the combination of the Magnum Lock tuners and the floating trem is almost as foolproof as a locking system if you dial it in right. I could go from full string floppage and back with a heavy pull up and down again to boot and pop perfectly back in tune just like with an Edge but without the stringing and tuning hassles - very cool. And yes, you can do flutters with this rig. I also LOVED the neck profile on these, very "vintage" feeling without being baseball bat sized. I just hope you didn't buy that black one(RV) that has been on Evilbay for $469 forever - that is WAY too much for this model. Enjoy! Z
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hi gang, good to hear from ya'! I hope everybody knows I was only kidding about wiping out the kid's college fund. Zoner, I think the black guitar you're thinking of that's been on Ebay for approximately forever is an SV470, which is a Saber model. The one I picked up is an RV470, definitely a Radius. From looking at Rich's catalogs, it appears that Ibanez went for a vintage thing with both the Sabers and Radius for briefly in the early 90's. But they only made the RV470 for one year (93). The one I got is a gravure purple (GFP), just like the one shown on page 18 of the 1993 catalog. Hey Rich, you have no idea how helpful those catalogs have been!
Cheers to all!
Bert (aka Albert)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:03 AM

Skier, you're right about the other being the "SV". Mine was the Brownish Sunburst RV that my wife dubbed the "Tigers Eye". I have seen the Purple one as well and they are pretty cool looking too. The top is just a photo of a flame top but it is better looking than the Fender version IMHO. I always get a kick out of the "Gravure" moniker - ever seen a "Gravure" tree? Z
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the whole idea of a gravure finish is sort of a funny concept. I've always wondered exactly what the gravure image is printed on. Is it like printed on paper or something and then glued onto the body? I suppose that as long as I don't grind through the finish with my pick, it'll stay looking OK.
stratoskier

Tags
alder body , les paul , paf pro , strat style , vintage trem , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode