S-520 opinions - sound? neck? frets? feel? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

S-520 opinions - sound? neck? frets? feel?

Anyone here had the pleasure of playing or owning an S-520? Yes, like the one M.F. has for $750.00. It looks great but it's close ($200) to a Prestige S model 1520B...curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 04:02 PM

S-520 opinions

I'm torn on this one too . *The finish is a toss up, if I am not mistaken the one you're talking about has an oil finish (which I love.) *The headstock on the Prestige is much cooler though (MOP inlayed) and the marker-less fingeboard is very cool.

Here's a few more differences, the S520 has Ibanez "V" pickups whereas the S1520 has QMs. *The QMs, IMHO, are not as good sounding as the Ibanez "V" pickups. *When I had the S1520, I swapped the pickups out (so now I'm way over a grand on the Prestige.)

The neck on the Prestige is incredible, the finish on the back is perfect, very smooth and fast. *No heavy lacquers (or whatever they use these days) on the back of the neck.

Either way, basically they're both great guitars. *If you plan on replacing the stock pickups, and have over a grand, buy the S1520. *But, if you only have enough to buy the S1520, and want to replace the pickups, go for the 520.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 08:13 PM

S-520 opinions

I say go for the prestige model. You also get a lo pro edge and the headstock is sweet. If I were in the market for one of these I would try to get one used because ot only do you get a good deal(I have seen them for $550) but imo the old inlay is much better looking than the new one.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 07:39 AM

S-520 opinions

I just got an S520 two weeks ago and I really like it.I had an S1520BP and sold it to get an RG1680.The 520 is a real good guitar IMO.It's very much like a raw S.The Edge trem is more prominant than a Lo-Pro and the finish gives it a stripped down attitude.The neck is smooth and doesn't get sticky easily but the Prestige neck is better. I personally like the Quantum pick ups much more than the V pick ups the 520 came with.Actually I think the Quantums are the best pick ups Ibanez has ever made.The 520 gets a really high mark from me.If you want a smoother guitar go for the 1520 but,if you want a little more attitude I'd go with the 520. If you only have about $850-$950 to spend the 520 may be a better choice because you can replace the pick ups if you don't like them sooner than you could if you got the 1520 and didn't like the pick ups. *Either way,both of those are good choices and I don't think you would be making a mistake getting one or the other.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 08:35 AM

S-520 opinions

Noodles made a good point that I missed. *There are a bunch of S1520's on the used market. *They have been selling on eBay for around $500-700, which IMHO is a steal.

I just "sold" mine (only because noone's developed a cure for GAS) for about $650-800 (traded for a JemRB.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 03:02 PM

S-520 opinions

I have the S1520FB and I can definitely fully recommend it. As Kirk has stated here and in another thread, the Prestige neck finish is really top of the line. There could not be a better feeling neck IMHO.

The Quantum pickups have a little less output than the V series, hands down; but still enough to make a preamp scream. Harmony Central user reviews always whine about the strong mids of the QMs, and I was thinking about putting in a FRED at the bridge, but I have found that with "brighter" strings (for example Blue Steel or Pyramid) the sound will clear up tremendously, making the 1520 really versatile.

Thumbs up!

Tags
edge trem , neck finish , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode