S Classics and SZ models - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

S Classics and SZ models

Sorry if this has been covered before, but here is another question. I'm looking at a couple cheap models around town and don't know much about them. First are the SZ320/520/720 models. The other is the S Classic model. These can be found for 200 to 300 bucks for really clean looking ones. I don't know anything about these except they are fixed bridge (which I'm looking for) and H-H design, and are recent model years as far as I know. How do these compare to the lower end RGs? What is the general opinions on these models. Thanks for any info you can share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 AM

Re: S Classics and SZ models

besides being a completely different animal..... more LP style for the sz models than an RG which is more strat like....

differences, set neck vs. bolt on, scale length, body material........
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 AM

The S-Classics have a 12" radius and 25.1" scale length, like a PRS. It feels and sounds very different than an RG with a Wizard. Specifically what RG are you looking at?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 AM

Reviews: 15

I have an SZ720 and it feels like the missing link between a LP and a PRS. The pickups are Duncan/Ibanez (wannabe JB and 59). Plays awesome if you take a little lacquer off the back of the neck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everybody. I guess that the S Classic was replaced by the SZ models? And from what I have been able to tell so far the Classics are MIJ? If so, does this mean the build quality is better than something from Korea or Indonesia? I am trying to compare these to an RG 2xx/3xx/4xx made in Indonesia as this is all I have experience with. I have a Guitar Center "exclusive" RG2EX2 that I am trying to compare to. I like the RG2 alright for the price, and that is what I am trying to compare to a second hand S Classic or SZ model.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 AM

i dont know where the s classics were made but the MIK Sz series is pretty good.... the hardware tarnishes easily... but that is where they usually start to cheap out is the hardware....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
i dont know where the s classics were made but the MIK Sz series is pretty good.... the hardware tarnishes easily... but that is where they usually start to cheap out is the hardware....
Thanks for that Scottop. I can tolerate tarnishing better than build quality, ie. not staying in tune, etc. I will take that into consideration.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
The tarnishing would be my only gripe with the SZ. However no mechanical issues with the tuners or Gibraltar bridge. Hardly ever goes out of tune.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM

S Classics are with no exception MIJ : great guitars with a particular feeling, keeping the light wheigt of S Series, with a warmer and stronger sound. I recommend low outpout pickups with these beauties, they sound awesome !
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 PM

I got an SZ520 a few months ago for $225 off CL and love the thing. It sounds and feels different from my RGs but is still very easy to play. The tone off the stock PUs is amazing and I have no desire to change them. Sustains like crazy and the different tones from the three selector switch tone and volume knobs makes it very versatile. My only complaint is that it sometimes will go out of tune. I need to modify my nut and I think that will solve it. Every time I go to tune it the G and B strings ping and pop in the nut so I know that is the problem. Once I get that fixed I think it will stay in tune perfectly. It only goes out when I do heavy vibrato and bending though and can usually get a hour of playing time before i have to tune... and it is only those two strings that are out when I do re-tune.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlan75018 View Post
S Classics are with no exception MIJ : great guitars with a particular feeling, keeping the light wheigt of S Series, with a warmer and stronger sound. I recommend low outpout pickups with these beauties, they sound awesome !
Picked up an S Classic from Guitar Center for $179. Has a few nicks and dings, but it cleaned up well. I love the neck and how it feels and plays. Really a great deal for an MIJ Ibanez. I will be looking for some new pickups to replace the originals soon. They sound alright, but I can't leave it as is.Looking forward to getting it modded.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
I got an SZ520 a few months ago for $225 off CL and love the thing. It sounds and feels different from my RGs but is still very easy to play. The tone off the stock PUs is amazing and I have no desire to change them. Sustains like crazy and the different tones from the three selector switch tone and volume knobs makes it very versatile. My only complaint is that it sometimes will go out of tune. I need to modify my nut and I think that will solve it. Every time I go to tune it the G and B strings ping and pop in the nut so I know that is the problem. Once I get that fixed I think it will stay in tune perfectly. It only goes out when I do heavy vibrato and bending though and can usually get a hour of playing time before i have to tune... and it is only those two strings that are out when I do re-tune.
If you want more sustain swap in a set of Tonepros locking studs. One of the best mods I've done so far on my SZ720 (second to the crunchlab/liquifire setup).
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
If you want more sustain swap in a set of Tonepros locking studs. One of the best mods I've done so far on my SZ720 (second to the crunchlab/liquifire setup).
I'll check this out.. thanks! But my stock pickups really rock.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 AM

I own an s-classic and have played a few os the SZs and found them completely different in feel, and build quality. My S-Classic was my first "real" guitar and I can't say a bad thing about it other than I prefer the feel of jumbo frets...

Tags
s classic , sz320 , sz520 , sz720

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode