S Content. Played a S770PB!!! Impressed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

S Content. Played a S770PB!!! Impressed

I was in a small shop today at lunchtime that carries Ibanez and while talking to the proprietor, he handed me the S770PB NTF because I mentioned I played Radius'.

Plugged into a Vox VT50 and OMG, I love that guitar. It was so light in my hands but had a very ballsy sound. I have never owned an S and everyone I played in GC's and such were always setup like crap. Not this one. Setup nicely, sustained fairly well and was easy to play.

I ran it through some scalar stuff and then some chording and it handled both nicely. I was really impressed by the ZR trem, I never really played one before. It is different than the Edge series of trems in that it has a definite zero point that you can feel. Nice feel to the trem, easy to use. Didn't try to flutter it but I'm not Vai so I don't really care.

Although it sounded good through the modeling amp, I gotta think the INF pickups could be better. Those pickups in that stock model is about my only beef. Mahogany body, poplar top. The 24 frets were nice and playable with no obstructions besides my lack of really knowing how to play down there.

Overall, It really got me thinking about an S.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Re: S Content. Played a S770PB!!! Impressed

Go for the S. I just got an S420 (which is the same line, just minus the middle pickup, and no inlays), and it totally kicks ass, even compared to my ESP Horizon NTII (triple the price tag). It's gonna be a great guitar for stage moves too :].
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: S Content. Played a S770PB!!! Impressed

Hi...

I actually own one of these... a S770FM which is basically the same except with a flamed top and I have to honestly say I was impressed.

I was skeptical in the beginning because it was made in Indonesia. But since I was getting a practically unplayed and new S770 in a trade for my 5 year old mex strat and some pickups, it was a no brainer really.

I would comfortably say quality wise, it is better than the korean offerings I have seen and on par with some entry level MIJ guitars. I've read that the quality for the Indo guitars vary but the one I got was really very good. The only bit I could pick at was the ZR trem cavity routing was not perfectly sanded.

Pickups could be better though... stock ones are OK but they sounded a little sterile and lacked bottom end.

Playability wise, my S770 was good 'out-of-the-box'. After some tweaks to the truss rod and string action... it was very very good. And I am comparing it with my EBMM Axis, ESP Kami, and N4. Upper fret access was extremely easy and natural because of the slim body.

Its become the guitar I leave sitting on the couch for those times I wanna just grab one and play something. This would probably be a keeper for me.

-K

Tags
s770

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode