S-Heaven - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 01:48 AM

Yeah, he was full of it or lying. Please don't cry...

Cost is generally around half of retail, but it can vary - volume buyers may get a better deal, or the rep may be trying to get rid of a model (or one may be at a premium due to demand).

So a $1000 guitar would run around $500 or just over, and some dealers are happy making $100 on it. Most will try to find out what prices you've gotten, so they can make as much profit as they can - if your best price was $750, why should they sell it to you for $600 if they can get you to buy for $700?

At Sam Ash (10 years ago!), we would sell Ibanez for 40% off list IF a guy came in with a price to beat and we believed the story. Most stores in the Philly area would go 30% off and some would do 35%. If you just walked in "looking for the best price" with no idea what that was, you'd probably get 25-30% off.

Try www.deleted.com. I got my Taylor there. Some nice guys, and great prices. They can't print IBZ prices, but will e-mail you the price - I don't have a current list, but I KNOW many of those were 40% off list. I'm pretty sure I saw the SC420 for $600 on it.

Of course, keep your eye on eBay & harmony central, too. I got a SC620 for $500...

(edited out dealer link by jemsite)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 01:55 AM

..ooh, I forgot...

That price is without case, so take that into consideration. If the $cam ca$h guy included a hard case, he's less of a liar. More like a fibber... ;-)

One just went with case on eBay for $395 with case, and another one is at $400 without one right now.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 05:22 PM

ha screw the case, i have a hardshell case (for my RGs) and a gig bag (for my artist) and everything i own will fit into one of the two

im going to go check out deleted.com right now, although an SC420 isnt the best thing to buy right now. i should really be looking into a higher gain amp for my RGs, but ive been eyeballin that sc420 for a good long time

thanks jester, i shall use previously aforementioned tactics as ammunition so as to not get pistoned from behind next time i buy a guitar
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ Beetle
ha screw the case, i have a hardshell case (for my RGs) and a gig bag (for my artist) and everything i own will fit into one of the two

im going to go check out deleted.com right now, although an SC420 isnt the best thing to buy right now. i should really be looking into a higher gain amp for my RGs, but ive been eyeballin that sc420 for a good long time

thanks jester, i shall use previously aforementioned tactics as ammunition so as to not get pistoned from behind next time i buy a guitar
I've had the SC420 ever since the first year it was out, which was 1997. It rules, I love it.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
(edited out dealer link by jemsite)
well dont i feel like an idiot. jester could you pleas email me that link? sheesh glen, youd think ya were trying to avoid a lawsuit or somthing
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 06:50 PM

Sorry for the dealer link, mods (and Rich, and other Jemsite sponsors...). Forgot myself for a moment...
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Vendor

The link was for Fred's, I'll tell you a little story about Fred. John Cowan (longtime forum member) bought a DNA from Fred and had it shipped to me to avoid state tax. I opened it, filthy, and with an untouched setup that was out of tune. This is on a guitar they made $750, on so exactly what do you think you'll get on a guitar they make $100 on? You'll find this the norm for discount dealers, they just don't care.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:17 PM

i, personally, have never had a good setup on ANY of the guitars ive ever bought, but then again, i never even knew you were an ibanez dealer rich, i thought you just kinda collected them and had a repair shop!

and for the record rich, i hate when you make sense
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 11:46 PM

Could well be the norm for their mail order service; I dunno. Fred gave me a mail order price, but I drove 2 hours to the Shillington store for my Taylor - I had to play it. The other acoustics I played (Martin, Ibanez, I forget what else) were clean and set up fine. The 2 Taylors (312ce, 412ce) were also. Again, it may be different for mail order and/or electrics. They gave me a higher price than Fred quoted, but gave me Fred's price without batting an eye.

Overall, I'd probably go there again.

Now, a pro setup is definitely worth something. I like cleaning & setting up my own, so I'd as soon save some cash (actual structural problems are another story though, and it's nice to have someone catch these before sending them on). I suspect the premium you charge is WELL worth it to some, a toss up to others, and of little value to still others. That's the nature of a service market.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:11 PM

Give me 24frets!

Last edited by SHREDlamode; 01-11-2007 at 11:12 AM.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:24 AM

the S1220 is a let down to me it's simply an S520 with a prestige neck. it doesn't even sport the lo-pro edge bridge...

while i continue to admire the S-series, it's a little sad that the S models do not receive the proper attention as that of its RG siblings... the S body is simply impressive considering the tone it generates.

i agree with you guys, go for the S-classic instead. but this range has suffered a blow too. i had made up my mind to acquire the S620 when it was discontinued (along with the SC prestige). the SC's reduced 25.1 scale length is simply enjoyable.

so in the end i ordered a PRS McCarty...
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
the S1220 is a let down to me it's simply an S520 with a prestige neck. it doesn't even sport the lo-pro edge bridge...
What's wrong with that? I actually prefer the original edge, so it's all good to me...

Quote:
while i continue to admire the S-series, it's a little sad that the S models do not receive the proper attention as that of its RG siblings... the S body is simply impressive considering the tone it generates.

i agree with you guys, go for the S-classic instead. but this range has suffered a blow too. i had made up my mind to acquire the S620 when it was discontinued (along with the SC prestige). the SC's reduced 25.1 scale length is simply enjoyable.
Yes, indeed. Love mine (well, my wife's, anyway...)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:38 PM

of course there's nothing wrong with that. i feel that it's not value for $$$, the price of this guitar is largely the cost of its neck. but if one likes it, one will like it regardless of what others have to say...

uh... yer wife plays the SC?
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 11:28 PM

Well, the 1220 is the same price as last year's 520, so if most of the cost is the prestige neck, last year's model was a real ripoff.

I'd prefer a nice gloss finished flame, but the guitar as it is for it's current cost is a fine choice - the neck and bridge are excellent.

Yeah, my wife "took over" the SC620 when she decided to learn to play. s'ok, though - allowed me to keep one more guitar around the house (I had just gotten a Yamaha Pacifica 921) ;-)

Tags
bass response , dot inlay , edge bridge , edge trem , frank gambale , headstock shape , ibanez dealer , music store , pro edge , pro edge bridge , prs mccarty , sam ash , sperzel tuners , tone zone , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what happend to 7th heaven
7th heaven rapidshare download