S-Heaven - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

S-Heaven

Here's a pic of the latest additions to the stable (of course some had to be let go in the process).

http://jemsite.insomnia-vhosting.com...age=S-Trio.JPG

This represents somwhat of a migration back to S guitars. *My "first love" Ibanez was a Saber...somewhere several years ago in a music store I picked an S540 and could not believe how good it felt. *It's been a few years since I sold my LTD in dsy (couldn't handle the shark fins and neon anymore!), so I've been in RG land for some time. *I had a 520wfn along the way, but it just didn't have the feel. *Now look what's fallen into my lap. *Thanks to Mike for the great deal on the 2540, and Dennis for helping with the Cosmo conversion on the 540FM. *I'll always have an RG or two around, but for now I'm really enjoying some of the best of the S world.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 09:52 PM

S-Heaven

I just wish they made more S models in 7 strings.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 04:59 AM

S-Heaven

I wish they didn't start putting those horrible wavy inlays on the fingerboards......
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 07:08 AM

S-Heaven

Nice guitars!

Does anyone understand what the reasoning behind those wavy things is?

And a s7 with nice bridge and HSH would be very welcome
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:31 AM

S-Heaven

I agree with every one else here.....A nice early S5407 would complete that family......
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:40 AM

S-Heaven

Quote:
kirk on 3:59 am on April 22, 2002
I wish they didn't start putting those horrible wavy inlays on the fingerboards......
hear hear!!! * Im just glad I got my s2020 when they were still just doing the dot inlay on the 24th fret.

the wave inlay is fine for the lower models... but on a presteige? *makes a $1100 guitar look like a $300
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

S-Heaven

I'm with you on the wavey inlays...don't like 'em either. *Dots or ovals are mo betta. *I also like the inlays on the 2540...a bit more involved but still unique & classy.

Hmmm, a 7 string S with Lo-Pro and no wavey inlay...Maybe our friends at Ibanez/Hoshino are listening.
Greg
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 08:00 AM

sigh...

i still think that the s-series suffered with the departure of Frank Gambale from Ibanez. the S540 is a sorely missed model. it's got the works- lo-pro edge, shark tooth inlay, etc. but remained affordable. we now have to go for broke to get a high end S-model. the current S520 isn't quite comparable...

i'm not a fan of the wave/ 'W' inlay either, it's simply unsuitable. IMO, the shark tooth inlay complement the headstock shape. i also prefer the headstock to have that 'tick' insignia.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 12:53 AM

i bought a sa160qm about two months ago. very cool axe. did some mods to it. sperzel tuners and a tone zone in the bridge. seems the tone zone didnt have the bass response in pos 2 like the stock one did, but it's a screamer
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:42 AM

I just scored on a 98 s540 at a pawnshop for 450$.It is a beautiful red quilt and flawless.And you are welcome,greg.Hope you get many enjoyable years out of the 2540.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
i still think that the s-series suffered with the departure of Frank Gambale from Ibanez. the S540 is a sorely missed model. it's got the works- lo-pro edge, shark tooth inlay, etc. but remained affordable. we now have to go for broke to get a high end S-model. the current S520 isn't quite comparable...
What about the 1220? Sounds like a good midline guitar for <$700...
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700
Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
What about the 1220? Sounds like a good midline guitar for <$700...
Yeah. The S1220 is essentially the same as the S520, but now with Prestige construction and neck.

And for an average price of $750, it's still relatively affordable.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 09:56 PM

personally im a little miffed at the removal of the S470. I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to grabbing one 2 weeks ago when i found out they dont make them anymore. the red quilt one is ugly IMHO :\

and what do they have against putting a wizard neck on a lower end S? I would LOVE an RG570 too. the 1220 is a nice lookin beast, but paint!!! ALL I WANT IS PAINT! IS PAINT TOO MUCH TO ASK!? sorry i had to get that out. for 749 bucks the 1220 aint a bad lookin deal at all, but if i had that much money i would just get an SC420. and although its a nice looking guitar, ibanez couldnt do any harm by offering it in paint. that would be a bad assed axe in a transparent green *moans in delight* or perhaps even plain black, or red, or jewel blue. the s370 is a nice lookin beast, but i already did the wizard II thing, i wasnt entirely pleased with it once i got my artist and my rg 570, and i will only play with an edge trem. im sure theyve made other good ones, but my bad TRS experience has disuaded me from taking a chance on buying another lower end trem

oh, and 7 strings are for Kornabees! *runs like hell*
just kiddin
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 12:40 AM

You should be able to do better in pricing. Look for $600 for a S1220 or SC420, and $850 for a S1520. I know of one dealer who does 40% on Ibanez (at least the ones I priced), and there should be a bunch that'll do 35%. But you won't see that posted because of ad agreements with Ibanez.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 01:23 AM

well i use mostly m*friend, and AMS for my gear (mostly ams as of late, they are good ppl) and god knows they dont deal. and my local shop is ALWAYS higher than them, unless i wave a wad of 20s in thier face. there simply isnt any good dealers around here, let alone ones that deal. if youre about to tell me that i could have used the 600 bucks that i got my artist with to buy a sc420, im going to cry. you dont want to see me cry :O

jester, i was in a sam ash a while back and he told me he could give me a deal slightly above his cost to move the guitar, which was an sc420, for 730 bucks....was he BSin me? i hate big stores

Tags
bass response , dot inlay , edge bridge , edge trem , frank gambale , headstock shape , ibanez dealer , music store , pro edge , pro edge bridge , prs mccarty , sam ash , sperzel tuners , tone zone , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what happend to 7th heaven
7th heaven rapidshare download

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode