S Prestige or J Custom? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

S Prestige or J Custom?

S Prestige or J Custom?

Probably asked a zillion but... I'm new here so...

I'm new to Ibanez. I'm an old strat player who got an RG370DX just to see how an Ibanez plays... Well I found it plays very well! I like very much it's neck feel and radius . I should have gone Ibanez sooner!

So I'm now almost ready to upgrade to a higher quality Ibanez. I first tought about a RG Prestige 1570, the next day I tought about an S5470 and finaly I discovered about the J Customs and now I wonder If I should go for a J Custom...

So my questions are:
Is an S5470 of equal quality compared to a J Custom RG8570Z? What's the difference in the end? Both are build in Japan in the same factory, isn't it?

Why should I pay more and order from Japan a RG8570Z J Custom (and being stuck with no warranty) instead of a S5470 that I could buy localy with a full warranty?

Thansk in advance for your help!

Last edited by stratquebec; 06-08-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: s5470 not s4570
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM

Re: S Prestige or J Custom?

Based on your love for the 370's neck i think the S would be your best choice.
Its neck is only 1mm thinner than the 370,the J custom however has the 'super wizard' neck which is flat and thin(2mm thinner than 370),im guessing you like some meat in ya necks?
The quality between the two is there but marginal,they are both top notch!
The S is top quality and can cover all styles and i think you would never regret the purchase. Keep in mind,S's and JC's are mahogany so are darker in tone than the basswood RG370.
Go the S mate,get ya warranty and play some tunes.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 PM

The S5470 has a sustain/note decay problem. I say go with the J custom.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Based on your love for the 370's neck i think the S would be your best choice.
Its neck is only 1mm thinner than the 370,the J custom however has the 'super wizard' neck which is flat and thin(2mm thinner than 370),im guessing you like some meat in ya necks?
The quality between the two is there but marginal,they are both top notch!
The S is top quality and can cover all styles and i think you would never regret the purchase. Keep in mind,S's and JC's are mahogany so are darker in tone than the basswood RG370.
Go the S mate,get ya warranty and play some tunes.
Corey: Thanks I take good note of your comments. They are very helpful in making my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-man View Post
The S5470 has a sustain/note decay problem. I say go with the J custom.
S-Man: Do all the s5470 are the same? Are they curable? Ibanez is aware of those issues? And what a nightmare it would be to order from japan ending with a J custom with issues?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Vendor

The only "problem" with the decay, is it doesn't. You get full volume sustain for as long a hold as another guitar, but it's dies quickly, the "decay" will only be a second. So while another guitar is starting to decay a second after you pick the note, a 5470 gets all the decay at the very end of the note.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The only "problem" with the decay, is it doesn't. You get full volume sustain for as long a hold as another guitar, but it's dies quickly, the "decay" will only be a second. So while another guitar is starting to decay a second after you pick the note, a 5470 gets all the decay at the very end of the note.
Um... It's an issue or a feature??? I suppose it's inherent to the bridge conception on the 5470... (But wait... Don't the JC and the S share the same bridge system...?)

It makes me wonder??? So It leaves me with the "cheaper" 1570 or the J Customs . And since I'm affraid to order directly from Japan , in the end, I should go for a RG1570 Prestige!
My whife would be happy too for the savings!

Last edited by stratquebec; 06-08-2009 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

ok. Did my reading about that sustain/decay issue/behavior problem/feature...
Too bad for the S series. In my book, I call that lack of decay an issue. And it has not been fixed.
I'll go for an RG1570 Prestige and swap the pups later, if ever I don't like the stock ones.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Vendor

Funning when a guitar having more volume during "decay" than any other guitar becomes the issue
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Funning when a guitar having more volume during "decay" than any other guitar becomes the issue
Well, obviously, there's something I don't catch here. Back to the beginning. Should I understand that :

An S series Ibanez sustains longer the notes but the note dies faster at the end of the note's "life" ? If this is the point, is it due to the mahagony used?

English is not my mother tongue so I think I don't get it right. Rich, I was thinking that it was an issue so obviously it's not according to you, am I right?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Vendor

It's "different"

It sustains no longer or shorter than ie. an RG1570, note for note. It just doesn't decay the same, it decays all in the last second of the sustain instead of the whole duration of the note.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok I think I can imagine what you're talking about.

What makes this sort of thing happen? The wood or the bridge?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Vendor

Nobody knows.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Ah... Don't tell me that Man! You're too bright to give that kind of answer!

Let me ask this way: What, according to you Rich, what may cause that special note decay?

Obviously the guy here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHYhEtAKQU has another king of "problem". He really has a problem isn't it? Sounds like dead spots right? Not the decay thing we are talking about right?
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Vendor

I haven't sustain tested an SV.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

"they have sustain problems because the bridge and neck radius arnt matched. they ring then note then instead of slowly dying out it just die's sharply. Really disappointing because it took 8 or 9 months for my guitar store to get this in...."

It's from here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum....php?t=1128100

What are you thinking of that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode