S Prestige pickup advice? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

S Prestige pickup advice?

I can't believe I haven't seen this site before. It's amazing how much info it has that I've been looking for for a while. I'm a Music and Recording major in college, so right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the technical side of guitars as I'm learning theory.

I have an Ibanez S2170SE (Ebony S Prestige, which I can't stop playing ). I'm looking for a different sound than its stock pickups. I've only heard about the popular pickups that the big-name artists are using, like the Evo's, different EMG and Seymour Duncan, etc. My friends and I have tried out different pickups already, like Dimarzio Evolutions, D-Activators, then Seymour Duncan SH-8's, each getting closer to the sound I'm looking for - something that has deep lows and clean mid-highs.

I'm getting more into the tone and sound of the Japanese metal scene, and so far the sound that I'm striving to get out of my guitar is something like Deluhi and the GazettE.

Deluhi uses Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5's and the Gazette uses "Seymour Duncan ANTIQUITY II Custom Bridge & SLSD-1b" which I think are Clapton's.

But my main concern is that my guitar tends to sound a little bit on the brighter end. I'm sure I'll be getting both pickups, but I'm looking for something that can compliment my prestige by giving it that deeper, "heavier" tone without compromising the clean, less-distorted, mids and highs.

Do you guys have any suggestions or opinions on what kind of pickups I should look at? Sadly the SH-14's and Antiquity's are only custom-order, so I can't really try them out at a guitar shop. I'll probably also be trying out Dimarzio's D-Activator X's and X2N's down the line, but as you know, a college student's wallet has its limits .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Re: S Prestige pickup advice?

wow, you are pretty much describing the steve's special and fred for the neck.

i love the gazette as well, but they use some REALLY nice amps.

if you want a bigger sound out of the mahogany S, air norton and tone zone, but then you'll sacrifice a bit of the clarity for bigger notes.

for the duncans, i'd say that a 59 and a custom will get you there, too. those have a tendency to be a bit more fizzy, but somewhat similar. the duncan distortions are more agressive, but lack as much bottom and are pretty metal. i wouldn't recommend the JB for what you are asking at all.

all in all, the fred/SS combo is a solid winner for a bunch of different styles and remain very articulate and dynamic with a huge degree of clarity and note definition.

rich
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Are there any guitars that have it stock that I could try out in a store?

I looked around about the tone zones, and I'm a little concerned about the mids to highs. Since (from what I've read) you can push less gain through it to get a good sound, does that mean that the mids and highs will be that much cleaner? As in, it won't shatter your ears with distortion?

One more question, the S Prestige model is F-spaced, right?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 AM

well, unfortunately since ibanez has went to the dimarzio/ibz's, not alot of guitars come oem with dimarzios. some jacksons and ltd's have them, but most are the jazz/jb combo.

the TZ is a moderately hot output pickup. while hotter than vintage, it is not as powerful as a super distortion. there is a degree of clarity that comes with more modest pickups. they don't drive the front end of an amp to distort as quickly...case in point:EMGs.
the mids and highs will be cleaner, but since the TZ is known for beefy mids and lows, the notes will be bigger and more round. less cutting, but full. i prefer the TZ due to the hugeness of the notes, there are plenty of pickups that slice through like the evo, but i like bigger notes and chords. with mahogany it's easy to get, but a TZ ups the ante on it as well.
imo, the TZ is balanced as far as output to tone. not as loud as an evo or x2n, but the tone is bigger than many high gain pickups, too. one example of a loud pickup that gets muddy is the duncan invader. loud and mean, but the high gain and massive bass of it turns into mud if you don't eq accordingly. really recommend for a guitar that is excessively bright or a standard tuned axe. any lower and you have a boomy mess.
and yes, the s prestige are f spaced. as a rule f spaced is meant for tremolo equipped guitars typically.

rich

Tags
deluhi gazette , dimarzio , pickups , s prestige , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode