S-series with 24 frets? - Can I put a RG neck into a Saber? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

S-series with 24 frets? - Can I put a RG neck into a Saber?

I don't know why they don't make S-series with 24 frets?!!?!?!

Anyway since they won't bother, you lot think I can swap ..huh.. say an RG570 - 24 frets with AANJ neck on a Series? I really want a Saber with 24 frets. Will the neck fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 09:31 AM

S-series with 24 frets?

Yes, the neck will likely fit, but the fretboard will extend over the space for your neck pickup. Modification will be necessary.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 10:03 AM

S-series with 24 frets?

Not with an AANJ. *The neck pocket is in the wrong place, so the scale would be entirely off. *You could do it with an old style heel neck, but then you'd have to move the neck pickup back and fill in the resulting hole as Darren said.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 12:26 PM

S-series with 24 frets?

It would require SERIOUS and PRECISE mods to your body so the scale wouldn't be thrown off. *Or, there are those fake fret thingies. *Y'know, those little metal wire thingies someone posted about a while ago that go over your neck pickup to make a fake 24-fret guitar.l
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

S-series with 24 frets?

Thanks for the info !
DAMN no 24frets Saber for me then.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
S-series with 24 frets?

I know that Machinehead have fitted 24 fret Ibanez necks to both Strats and Sabers with the OLD style neck joint.

One thing I might suggest, if you can live without the neck pickup, or are prepared to rout some big holes for a new pickup position, is a fretboard swap. I think Kevan did a tutorial posted on Universal JEMs (bcalvert's site) about lifting and replacing a fretboard. So you could take the 22 fretter off the Saber's neck and fit a 24 fret board.

I know Machinehead will fit a new board to an existing neck for a couple of hundred quid and they might be willing to undertake this task.

N.B. I'm not advertising my fave shop as such, just saying that they and other capable shops can do this sort of thing.

(Edited by jono at 9:20 am on Jan. 31, 2002)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

S-series with 24 frets?

Too much hard work doing it that.. oh well

Just out of interest for you lot.. check out this guitar out.

http://www.lag.fr/stephan.html

Great french guitar hero Stephane Forte. His signiture guitar.. he based it on the S series.
S series type shape, 27 frets, 7 strings. Awesome guitar
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 04:41 PM

S-series with 24 frets?

Nice, althought the choice of knobs/switch/jack placement is questionable in my eyes.

Tags
aanj neck , fret board , fret guitar , fret ibanez neck , heel neck , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , neck joint , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode