S-Series custom help please - Info and help on my guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

S-Series custom help please - Info and help on my guitar

Back in 98 when I could still play I purchased a Ibanez S-Series Custom. A week later I seriously injured both hands in an accident and have yet to take it out on a serious test ride.
Well to get to the point after playing the guitar I noticed it had a few things that needed to be fixed such as it needed to be re-fretted. And If I want to make the guitar look better I need to have the tuner heads replaced or recovered with this very pretty dark steel like color- the same thing goes for the guards around the pickups, the tone and volume knobs the Floyd Rose Trem, the nut at the top and that bar that pushes the strings down. Essentially everything metal on the guitar looks like its been cleaned with some type of solution that ate away it's covering. If anyone has any suggestions or comments regarding how I might go about getting these things fixed I would be very thankful. And if any one could tell me some info on the guitars model, an approx value, who makes the QM1, QMS1, and QM2 pickups and if there any good and if not what would you suggest I replace them with it would also be great,
* * thanks again, from the guy trying to rebound....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 AM

S-Series custom help please

Does it have the All Access Neck Joint? What inlays does it have? What colour is it?

As far as the pickups go, they are stock ibanez and while they sounded OK, I seem to remember mine lasted less than 3 weeks before I slapped EMG's in.

As far as the hardware goes, you may find you'll have to replace it all, which isn't too hard to do I think.

As for value, I have no idea. I haven't thought of selling mine, mainly because I'd get nowhere near what I paid for it. And it's a nice guitar anyway

Good luck with your recovery man! How well are you doing?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

The guitar is black with pearl shark fin inlays, usually black guitars show scratches but this one has seemed to have retained it's shine well. And as far as my recovery I still have some numbness from the ring fingers out which makes it hard to palm mute since I canít even feel the strings against my palm. If any one knows if it would be possible or cheaper to have someone to re-electroplate all the metal parts? I really want to keep it stock and not have to buy all new parts plus I cant really find matching replacement parts for a custom guitar. So you say I should slap some EMGs into this black beauty, any suggestions on which ones and where I could go about finding them at a reasonable price. *Just a tip for those traveling out there, don't come to Nebraska looking for guitars - now that I'm getting back in it seems that all the best shops with new and used gear have closed down because of places like MARS music, which isn't bad but it's missing some type of nostalgia? Well thanks again and keep posting. * * *
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Just a tip for those traveling out there, don't come to Nebraska looking for guitars
WHAT?! ANOTHER OUTER MONGOLIAN! WOW! I'm guessing you're probly in Omaha, Riff? Good luck on the rehab.

Zeek from around Norfolk, NE.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:15 PM

The QM pickups are very good, IMO. *Not quite as nice as the DiMarzio-made F & C series they replaced, but good anyway. *They're Japanese, I think. *Play on them a while to make sure you need to replace them.

The standard Japanese S series guitars seem to run from $300-500, depending on condition, finish, and luck. *You said it's a custom. *Does that mean it just says "Custom Made" at the 21st fret (which they all did for a while - nothing "custom" about it), or was it a true custom with a Prestige neck? *If the former, you're looking at *maybe* $300 to sell it in that condition. *In this case, I'd get what I could for it and look for a better used example. *They'e all over the place.

If it's a true custom, it would be worth pricing the fixes.

How did you come to need a refret if you only played it for a week?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

The guitar wasn't new to begin with. After you told me that comment about all the s series coming with a custom made logo on the 21's fret. You see I have no information on the guitar I purchased; all I know is what I've found out. That comment I made earlier about guitar stores was because the store I purchased it at is one of those that closed up when MARS moved in. The question of if it's a prestige neck? That right now I can't tell you but this I can... The guitar supposedly came in its original case. This case fits it like a glove, I mean tight fit molded perfect. The case has a very pretty and noticeable plate that reads in gold "Ibanez Prestige Deluxe". Now when I bought the guitar I couldn't wait to play it at home because the neck is like none other I had ever played before. I could tell it was made to perfection, which is why I jumped on it so quickly; in fact they put it out the same day I came in. So thatís all I can tell you for now. If it is an authentic prestige how much would or could it be valued at....... Please to everyone I need more information on this the suspense is killing me. Thanks so much to those genius guru's that replied you guy's certainly know your stuff..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:21 AM

Actually, now that I know it's a prestige, I'm out of my element. *I'm more familiar with the standard lines. *Maybe Rich would know more about these. *I DO know that the prestige ones I've seen on eBay go above $800, but they've been in excellent shape. *I'd e-mail Rich & get a price on replacing all the hardware that needs it (couple hundred bucks, probably). *Then get what you can for the old stuff.

Unless you have a friend who can electroplate that color (Ibanez calls it cosmo black).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:41 AM
Vendor

It's not a Prestige, all M100c molded cases of that era have the Prestige Deluxe plaque on them. I'd recomend trading it into a music store so they can be responsible for selling a guitar that needs a refret and has other problems.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:55 AM

It's only a Prestige model if it says 'Prestige' on the headstock. *The case you have, a variant of the M100C, is called a 'Prestige Deluxe' case, but says nothing about the guitar. *(Nice cases tho, the only one that ever really fit the S guitars well.)

Sounds like you have an S540LTD to me. *I'd agree with Jester's assesment on the value. *There are a lot of the black ones around, and the corroded hardware and worn frets make for a hard sell.

If you have a praticular affection for that guitar, it is certainly possible to replace the hardware, but it won't be cheap. *If not, I'd say sell it, and pick up an S1220 if you like the S series. *But keep the case!

Man I hate it when a post comes in while I'm typing!

(Edited by kuma at 8:58 am on April 10, 2002)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 09:21 AM

I think it is an s540thd too, not bad guitars, in fact, I really like mine. Some of the hardware is worn, but I've replaced one of the pickup rings, and if the trem gets too batterred I'll replace that as well...

If you want to put EMG's in it, I'd recommend an 81 in the bridge, SA for the middle and an 89 for the bridge , be warned though that the battery is a tight fit in the control cavity and that it needs tape around it to stop it shorting connections. It also depends if you like EMG's or not...

Personally if the resale value is low, then I'd just keep it and play it untill it falls apart. When the finish start to get screwed up (I've had a ashtray vibrate of a table and onto the guitar from vibrations of loud playing causing one chip) I'll get it refinished. Untill then it'll keep getting played
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Rich on 8:41 am on April 10, 2002
It's not a Prestige, all M100c molded cases of that era have the Prestige Deluxe plaque on them. I'd recomend trading it into a music store so they can be responsible for selling a guitar that needs a refret and has other problems.
heh. *I gotta slow down when reading. *I missed that the words were on the CASE...

Tags
access neck joint , custom guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , music store , neck joint , palm mute , pickup ring , pickup rings , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode