Is the S series Good... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Is the S series Good...

Is the S series good for shred/fast metal. I want something different than another RG. What is the tone difference between a RG and a S? Pickups are not an issue as I will use Dimarzio's of course. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 05:15 PM

Re: Is the S series Good...

yeah, they're great
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 05:51 PM

The S is 22 frets, not 24. That might be the biggest difference. It changes the position of the neck pickup to be at a harmonic node, which affects the tone for that pickup a lot. I've noticed the tone on the bridge pickup of my '91 540 S seems to me to be slightly less "metal" than on my RGs. That might be partly due to the bridge pickup I've got though, which is a Screamin' Demon (which despite the name, is not a really high output pickup.) It also seemed less "metal" to me when it had the stock bridge pickup too though, which was, I forget, an IBZ something or other. Might be fine for metal with the right bridge pickup. I typically grab my S when I'm looking for a non-metal, more of a bluesy tone.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:01 PM

The S series guitars are just as versatile as the RGs. They're made of mahogany so that's going to affect the tone a bit, but it's all a matter of finding the right pickups to match the guitar. But if metal is what you're going after, then drop some EMGs into it and it'll rock!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM

I think a customised S with an RG neck would be the dog's bollocks, but it's a lot of work to do. It would probably involve totaly restructuring the neck joint.

Other than that, the S series, Esp the high end S's Is quite versatile, but it's more of a "For everything else" axe. Truth be told, it sounds better IMO than an RG for playing metal, but it doesn't play better than one for the following reasons.

A, The Body is a lot smaller making it feel different,
B, The trem whilst being fantasic isn't an edge
C, The lack of frets whilst not being important, turns me off.

it should do the job, it's more than capable of doing to he job but it falls just a tad short.

My advice would be to foget the S idea, and go out and buy a mahogany bodied RG, then just not look back, that is unless you plan on expanding your musical tastes within' the nect few years
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Don't Ss and RGs both have Wizard necks?
I don't know anything about the newer S series, but my 92 S540LTD is a killer guitar, and they can be had cheap, I have no issues with the trem and personally do not like the way 24 fret neck guitars sound.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 PM

Yes, they both have Wizard necks and they both have the AANJ. Of course, you can't just stick an RG neck on an S guitar because it won't intonate properly. Personally, I love the feel of a 24 fret guitar but I can get by with a 22 fret guitar as well. Really it's just about personal taste. I would say to go to a guitar shop and try out some RGs and some S series guitars to see which you like better.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 11:18 PM

i think it'l do the sred just fine, i have played none faster. definatly not an rg unless you want to get a japanese model. keep in mind that this is just the way my hands felt, it wont be ther same for you so go try them both out. hell the rg could be faster for you.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 02:47 AM

Sure the S series is good for shredding just listen to Frank Gambale on the "Truth of Shredding" CD. Frank uses of course his sig. model but that was based on the S series.

Regards

André

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 03:53 AM

i like rgs so i say rg it has 24 frets, but htats just me, i dont like the necks on the s series. honest opinion here.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
The S series guitars are just as versatile as the RGs. They're made of mahogany so that's going to affect the tone a bit, but it's all a matter of finding the right pickups to match the guitar. But if metal is what you're going after, then drop some EMGs into it and it'll rock!!
Or some loud passives into it too. It has mahogany so it will sound different than a RG.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarshredder7
i like rgs so i say rg it has 24 frets, but htats just me, i dont like the necks on the s series. honest opinion here.
They are pretty close....
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 06:55 PM

The S series are awesome. I own a S 7420 BP and I like it alot now. I've always liked the Saber series. I especially like the 540s in the 1994 catalog. Im strictly a 7-string player though but I still like alot of the 6-string Sabers. For a 7-string, the S 7420 is great but the S5407 that Rich has is very nice.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM

I like S series guitars, but I prefer an RG anyday. The S series guitars that I like are the S520EX and the S2075FWHS. Yeah, I'd say that the S series are great guitars!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash
Is the S series good for shred/fast metal

It worked for Skolnick

Tags
bridge pickup , carvin bolt , fixed bridge , frank gambale , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , guitar shop , heel neck , jennifer batten , killer guitar , neck joint , neck pickup , output pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode