The S series guitar thread. - Page 83 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1231 of 1375 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Re: The S series guitar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
Nice 540s7. How did you buy it new in '01? Had it been sitting on the shelf for 10 years?

BTW, my fgm100 has a standard s-series trem cavity cover. I think they switched to the special FGM version for the later models.
Exactly, i bought it from a store and it wasn't cheap but i just HAD to have it, unfortunately i sold the uv7bk to be able to buy it.

Ahaa, the trem doesn't touch the plate then? Do you know which switch it has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1375 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM

Finally.

Last edited by HELLFIRE666; 05-30-2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Not possible to post a pic, nevermind.
post #1233 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Just picked up my first S at a garage sale! it's a sapphire blue 5470f w/ dimarzio tone zone, true velvet and air norton. i got it for 250 and its very clean! just gotta tell someone
post #1234 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjbrown96 View Post
Just picked up my first S at a garage sale! it's a sapphire blue 5470f w/ dimarzio tone zone, true velvet and air norton. i got it for 250 and its very clean! just gotta tell someone
$250!?........pics!
post #1235 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjbrown96 View Post
CONGRATS!!!! For some reason, if you're patient, you can find great deals on S series guitars. They are incredible guitars. Enjoy.
post #1236 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 AM

I actually just sold my main Saber, a first year 540SDY to someone on the site. She's a beautiful machine.

Also recently sold this player '91 540SLTD to a member here.

So since I got rid of my only two Sabers, I just couldn't have that, so I got something new

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #1237 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan80 View Post
So is it a smooth transition,or does it take some time getting use to?
butter-smooth transition TO... possibly painful transition to anything but super-ergonomic shapes like destroyer/explorers FROM.

forget fitting like a glove, Sabres fit you like one of them latex extra thin thingies in foil packets

although, in all honesty, the S 420 is... umm... NOT the Sabre to gun for. since an old 540 S would give you an edge/lo pro edge ORIGINAL, japanese craftsmanship, and other lil perks like serious usa-made pickups and gotoh hardware.

the jump in numbers seems tiny, but it's actually straight from the almost-bottom to nearly the very top... it was before they introduced prestige monikers and added +1000 to every japanese-made guitar. 540s => S-1540 in modern terminology
post #1238 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 AM

Hey guys lil pickup question here... Have me a stock '91 sabre HSS (540s?), japanese w/ lo pro edge & those ibz/usa pups.

Considering changing pups. Anybody in the sabre camp have experience running with:
*Maxon/Ibanez Super 70 (bridge)
*SD Dimebucker (bridge)
*SD Alternative 8 (bridge)
*DiMarzio X2N (bridge)
*DiMarzio Super Distortion HB (bridge)
*DiMarzio Super Distortion 'hotrail' (mid I guess?)
*SD JB jr (mid)
*SD Lil Demon (mid or neck)
*SD Lil 59 (neck)

....????

To me, the current ibz/usa HB sounds a bit too hairmetally, in a good way but somewhat limiting options, while the two "singles" (actually vertical hb stacks) are very stratty, sorta texasy really... I want me some ballz in some of the positions at least, with at least one very-higain pup and at least one of the single slots with a rail/stack form of a good mid-higain humbucker. so like basically move what the current bridge pup does to one of the single slots, put a higher-gain HB into the bridge, and maybe put a vintage-style hb stack into the neck
post #1239 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Consider the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary too. I ran a pair of those in my S1520 and they were fantastic.
post #1240 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
Consider the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary too. I ran a pair of those in my S1520 and they were fantastic.
1 teeenie tiny problem: H-S-S pickup config
post #1241 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Yeah but you have ONE spot for a humbucker. Never said you had to use two!
post #1242 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM

Picked up this one locally yesterday for $225 w/ hsc. The frets are almost untouched, neck is perfect, finish has a few minor dings, but there are two neck pocket cracks--one of which seems pretty big to me. You can see where the previous owner used fingernail polish to try to fill the crack. He said it's only in the finish, but I'm skeptical. The guitar stays in tune great, and plays great, so maybe nothing to worry about?
s540_small.jpg
IMG_4553.JPG

Anyway, I love the guitar. The stock QM pickups sound great to me. I need to buy a tremolo arm though--the one he gave me with it isn't for an edge/lopro.
Hoseki likes this.
post #1243 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebor1776 View Post
Picked up this one locally yesterday for $225 w/ hsc. The frets are almost untouched, neck is perfect, finish has a few minor dings, but there are two neck pocket cracks--one of which seems pretty big to me. You can see where the previous owner used fingernail polish to try to fill the crack. He said it's only in the finish, but I'm skeptical. The guitar stays in tune great, and plays great, so maybe nothing to worry about?
Attachment 4048
Attachment 4047

Anyway, I love the guitar. The stock QM pickups sound great to me. I need to buy a tremolo arm though--the one he gave me with it isn't for an edge/lopro.
Can't see much, but from that pic, you might have something to worry about with the crack.
post #1244 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
Can't see much, but from that pic, you might have something to worry about with the crack.
Thanks, taking it to a local luthier this week!
post #1245 of 1375 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM

I've got this baby on the way, my first Prestige, and 2nd S (I don't have the first one any longer).

Ah, well it turns out that my Post count must be over 10... I shall soon return :P

Tags
access neck joint , air norton , alder body , arm holder , beautiful guitar , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge position , bridge pup , cavity cover , charvel model , chrome hardware , coil pickup , coil tapping , cosmo hardware , custom shop , dave weiner , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , dual rectifier , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , eric johnson , evo bridge , evo bridge pickup , fat tone , fender strat , fixed bridge , flamed maple , floating trems , floyd trem , frank falbo , fret access , fret board , fret inlay , fret markers , fret wire , graphite nut , guage strings , guitar players , guitar shop , high frets , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez roadstar , inf pickups , intonation tool , joe satriani , korean guitar , les paul , local guitar center , lock nut , locking nut , locking trems , locking tuners , mahogany body , mahogany guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , mesa amps , mesa dual , music store , neck binding , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck position , neck pup , neck screws , neck shape , neck thru , palm mute , palm muting , parker fly , pickup combo , pickup ring , pickup rings , pinch harmonics , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , reverse headstock , richard fay , rosewood board , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , sounding guitar , steel wool , steve vai , string tension , super distortion , tobacco sunburst , tone zone , trem arm , trem arm holder , trem plate , tung oil , upper fret , upper fret access , van halen , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode