The S series guitar thread. - Page 92 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1366 of 1375 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:19 AM

Re: The S series guitar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtsavo View Post
This thread needs to be revived, who's got what currently?
That's a nice collection. On the other hand, I've been trying to rid myself of those that I simply do not play, even though they look great in group photos.

I've been spending a lot of time with with this one while waiting for my 3 keepers to return from refinishing. So I'm currently at:

1) FGM200
2) 430SII
3) S540 CG
4) S2620FM

Those I've formerly owned:

S470 (08-09 Indo model, the gateway guitar)
S2020X
S5470 CLM
S3620QM
S-PB2TR
S540 RGS, S540 TKS
S1520FB, S1620FB
S540 Trans Pink (a domestic market only model, most notably had a thick figured maple top, like the ones on the new Premiums, and no pickup rings as well)
S540 Trans Pink, Trans Turquoise (also domestic models, these have regular veneers)
S621QM TGF Ikebe Production Sample
peromucho7 and Hoseki like this.

Last edited by Ludgate; 11-16-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1367 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Hey gang,

So my awesome wife got me the Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi non-soapbar 7-string pickups to put in my THIN-bodied Ibanez S7320 and the Fishman recommended superswitch from Stew-Mac (I'm sure you see where this is going). Of course, when my guitar tech went to install everything, the damn switch won't fit. In fact, it appears that NO aftermarket switch will really fit due to the way that the black plastic cover goes over the blade portion of the switch that sticks through the top of the guitar body. That being said, if I want to have the stock 5-way switch wired up and have the tonal choices that Tosin has, do you know which wiring diagram I can follow? When I called Fishman, they said that I could use the Classic or Modern diagrams with the push pull pots to handle the coil tapping and such, but I didn't see anything that resembled a 5-way switch config that let me do that on their website pages.

Do you think that the wiring diagram shown here:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/u...luence_WEB.pdf
Page 5, specifically, will work for the stock switch in this Ibanez? Or is there something else I can point my tech to in order to accomplish this:

Switch Positions:
1. Bridge Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)
2. Bridge & Neck Inner Coils (Bridge Voice-3)
3. Bridge & Neck Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)
4. Neck Outer Coil (Voice-3)
5. Neck Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Jeff
post #1368 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliderJeff View Post
Hey gang,

So my awesome wife got me the Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi non-soapbar 7-string pickups to put in my THIN-bodied Ibanez S7320 and the Fishman recommended superswitch from Stew-Mac (I'm sure you see where this is going). Of course, when my guitar tech went to install everything, the damn switch won't fit. In fact, it appears that NO aftermarket switch will really fit due to the way that the black plastic cover goes over the blade portion of the switch that sticks through the top of the guitar body. That being said, if I want to have the stock 5-way switch wired up and have the tonal choices that Tosin has, do you know which wiring diagram I can follow? When I called Fishman, they said that I could use the Classic or Modern diagrams with the push pull pots to handle the coil tapping and such, but I didn't see anything that resembled a 5-way switch config that let me do that on their website pages.

Do you think that the wiring diagram shown here:
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/u...luence_WEB.pdf
Page 5, specifically, will work for the stock switch in this Ibanez? Or is there something else I can point my tech to in order to accomplish this:

Switch Positions:
1. Bridge Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)
2. Bridge & Neck Inner Coils (Bridge Voice-3)
3. Bridge & Neck Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)
4. Neck Outer Coil (Voice-3)
5. Neck Humbucker (Voice-1 or 2 selectable)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Jeff
Just FYI should anyone care, the Tosin Abasi's will absolutely not fit within an Ibanez S7320 body unless you don't use the push-pull pots and only wire it with the stock switch... which sort of defeats the purpose of getting them. I am now having them put into my RG7621 and moving the Blackouts currently in that over to the 7320. Hope that may help someone prior to going through the pain and expense, themselves.

Jeff
Hoseki likes this.
post #1369 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:51 AM

Very psyched... my first Ibby is on the way! An '87 DY 540S.

Unfortunately, it does have a crack in the neck at the nut that has been repaired. While I don't feel the need to immediately replace it, I have begun the search for a replacement. I did see a neck on the bay for a 1987 540R... I believe this is the same Wizard I neck... can someone confirm (I really love the feel of the original necks on these!)?

Many thanks!
post #1370 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:17 AM

I have a 1987 540R with an Ultra neck so there are no guarantees it's the same, a repaired crack around the locknut bolt holes isn't necessarily anything to worry about.
post #1371 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
I have a 1987 540R with an Ultra neck so there are no guarantees it's the same, a repaired crack around the locknut bolt holes isn't necessarily anything to worry about.
I'll stand down and try to keep my paranoia at bay... while still keeping an eye out for my friend, Justin Case! Many thanks, sepulchrave!
post #1372 of 1375 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbatch View Post
Very psyched... my first Ibby is on the way! An '87 DY 540S.

Unfortunately, it does have a crack in the neck at the nut that has been repaired.
I'd like to see a picture of that before weighing in, but I have seen some of these over the years with small cracks up there that never amounted to anything more than cosmetics.

Besides, we like pictures anyway.
post #1373 of 1375 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM

I got my first S a few months ago, really nice guitar, wish I had tried one sooner.

post #1374 of 1375 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
I got my first S a few months ago, really nice guitar, wish I had tried one sooner.
I wish they'd offered the 24 frets sooner. Wanted one from the first time I picked one up, but the 22 fret thing held me off for a long time.
post #1375 of 1375 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Hello guys!

First time poster in the S thread and also a first time S series owner. 1996/7 Ibanez S540FM it is. Beautiful guitar, sounds awesome!

However, the previous owner didn't play it much lately so I have to do the setup. Long story short, I open up the truss rod cover and to my surprise, it's a Gibson style truss rod nut, meaning I have to buy a tool to adjust the neck. Can someone tell me, before I waste money trying various sizes online, what is the correct size tool for truss rod adjustment on this model?

Thanks a lot in advance, my S-men

EDIT: Picture was too large, also first post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ibanez S540FM.jpg (153.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Ivan Horvat; 03-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Tags
access neck joint , air norton , alder body , arm holder , beautiful guitar , body shape , bridge pickup , bridge position , bridge pup , cavity cover , charvel model , chrome hardware , coil pickup , coil tapping , cosmo hardware , custom shop , dave weiner , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , dot inlays , dual rectifier , edge bridge , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , eric johnson , evo bridge , evo bridge pickup , fat tone , fender strat , fixed bridge , flamed maple , floating trems , floyd trem , frank falbo , fret access , fret board , fret inlay , fret markers , fret wire , graphite nut , guage strings , guitar players , guitar shop , high frets , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez roadstar , inf pickups , intonation tool , joe satriani , korean guitar , les paul , local guitar center , lock nut , locking nut , locking trems , locking tuners , mahogany body , mahogany guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , mesa amps , mesa dual , music store , neck binding , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck position , neck pup , neck screws , neck shape , neck thru , palm mute , palm muting , parker fly , pickup combo , pickup ring , pickup rings , pinch harmonics , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , quilted maple , reverse headstock , richard fay , rosewood board , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , sounding guitar , steel wool , steve vai , string tension , super distortion , tobacco sunburst , tone zone , trem arm , trem arm holder , trem plate , tung oil , upper fret , upper fret access , van halen , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode