S Series Project has begun - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

S Series Project has begun

even before i have finished my other projects i have started a new one - a late 80's early 90's S540. i picked it up for dirt cheap ($56) so i figured it was worth a shot to try and rescue and enjoy.
here's a pic of it just arriving and out of the shipping box.
one word - UGLY
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Anch=imgAnch11
here's the back - EEEEWWW.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gAnch=imgAnch9

i figured i had two issues to deal with when i bought it. first issue was a neck crack. not just a simple seperation but a full on crack that lifted the fretboard away from the neck. not sure who he had do the repair but whomever it was did a fantastic job and you almost don't even feel the crack. this is a non issue now after seeing and feeling it in person.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gAnch=imgAnch8

here it is after a few hours of sanding and i layed the neck and trem on it to get an idea of the finished look - well kinda.
many more hours of sanding to go
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gAnch=imgAnch3

here's a shot of the neck after i spent a couple hours prepping and cleaning. i'm very happy with the neck. the headstock looks good, the back of the neck is in good shape, neck crack was reapired correctly, fretboard is nice and dark with a nice grain and the frets have very little wear. so far so good.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gAnch=imgAnch4

you can see in some of those pics that someone tried to drill a 3rd hole on the body. i'll most likely end up putting dummy knobs on it. i would prefer no tone controls if i get the pups installed and just use my volume for all my control.
i plan to refinish with a clear coat if possible. i would rather that than painting it.
i'm getting all the parts together (i have most of what i need) and will try to find another Double Whammy dimarzio for the bridge and maybe a PAF for the neck.
i'll repost as i progress.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 10-02-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Re: S Series Project has begun

Since it's already stripped to that point, and you only want a single vol control, why not go ahead and fill the extra holes? That would look better than a dummy knob. --Jason
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

if i could get the filled spots to blend in enough then that would work. the guitar would look that much cleaner with the holes filled and only one knob.
i need to figure out how to match and blend if i want to do it. hmmmm...
i'm getting the 3 way cover, 3 way switch and few other odds and ends shortly so it shouldn't be more than a couple weeks to get this one back together. it will take a little longer to track down the Dimarzio Double Whammy bridge pup though and especially if i go creme/blk.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Saw some S back plate cavity covers on the-bay just a while ago.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Lookin' good so far. Keep us updated as you go of course. For the price you bought it for, its well worth it. And its nice to have a project from time to time. Should be brilliant when done!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbass View Post
Saw some S back plate cavity covers on the-bay just a while ago.
you are one of the parts gurus i see selling stuff all the time. i'll have to take a look or i might even have to custom cut a set. it has a couple sets of holes for each plate and none of the plate holes are countersunk like an RG's so it shouldn't be a big deal cutting them if i need to.

this should be fun as long as the neck is cool (no twists, warpage) and also get to try my hand at a clear coat again.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Looks like it has a lot of potential.

If you're determined to fill the two redundant holes, I think it'd be best to paint the wholy body so that there are no visible seams between the body and the 'fills'.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM

$56??? Bargain mate! Why do I always miss these deals...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeflux View Post
Looks like it has a lot of potential.

If you're determined to fill the two redundant holes, I think it'd be best to paint the wholy body so that there are no visible seams between the body and the 'fills'.
i'll check with a friend who is a very talented wood worker and see if he has any ideas about filling the holes. i would really like to go natural using a light coat of Formby's tung oil and a clear poly coat. painting would be a last resort.
as this project comes together, i'll keep updating.

it was a cheap buy but you never know what you might be getting into. i figured i was taking a chance and until i finish it and can actaully play it the jury will be out on whether it was a good buy or not. (fingers crossed)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 11:58 PM

Looking at the before and after pics, what an improvement, you did a great job, it looks really nice so far.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez View Post
Looking at the before and after pics, what an improvement, you did a great job, it looks really nice so far.
+1!

Cheers
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 12:23 AM

Cool!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the kind words and taking time to check out my progress.
i am hopeing that i can clear it but it really depends on how well the old finish comes off. the white primer on the back is being a bear and taking some serious elbow grease to remove. the top is 99% sanded at this point and it is starting to really look nice. i wiped the top with thinner to remove the dust and the wood grain and color just popped out nicely. this will look awesome if i can keep on track with a light tung oil and clear coat.
more progress (and pics) to come.

Tags
bridge pup , cavity cover , clear coat , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode