S Series Questions - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

S Series Questions

Just wondering, I have a question or 2 for all you lucky 89-93 S series owners out there, preferably S540LTD or what was originally 540SLTD..
In "good to very good condition" what would be a fair used value/price for this guitar, whether from sellers perspective or buyers perspective?
and does color have any impact, also would aftermarket pickups add or detract from the value since its no longer in OEM form?

I have my eye on a couple and just wondering what I should be paying versus what its worth to me. ya know?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by OneShot; 02-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Re: S Series Questions

i have one...its great.but very normal guitar...not that flashy or extreme..but very good and nice sound...i like mine....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM

I'd expect to pay between $350-$500. Generally pickups don't affect the value at all.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM

I just bought one for 400.They have never had a good resale value for some reason.Awesome guitars.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

okay, ya know that exactly what I thought! but somehow it seems every one on the bay trying to sell one is getting greedy as hell! I have seen auctions end with no bids when they start at 500-600 bucks and they wonder why. I offered a guy 450 for one that even needed restoring and he replied "I would burn it before I sold it for that" meanwhile im thinking "that would be smart" idiot.

Im just trying to like hell to get a S540LTD and Im having a difficult time finding one that not neglected or to heavily modded, etc etc. If I could choose without being overly picky, I would take either a Jewel Blue, Black or Laser Red Bone Stock 1993 S540LTD In Very Good to Good Playing condition. Then again, I guess who wouldn't? lol

thanks for the replies guys. keep em comin if any else has something to add!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM

I noticed the old H&S S series with flame tops went for up to 600 bucks before, and after none of those showed up for a while, the ones with the regular finishes started popping up for 500-700 bucks, one even for 900, and none of those sold.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

yeah, it seems to me what appears to be happening is some people know and some people do not know about the inherit value and overall superiority of the original fujigen S series guitars and the auction prices usually reflect that. But I know before I list something on the bay , i search it and see what I have or whats its worth first, and then list.

from what I can see, most of the searches for S540LTD lead to here or other similar sites where people praise the S for all its greatness(rightfully so) which leads to people expecting to get even more when they sell them. All in all if a guitar is in good condition I can see shelling out the cash for it, but some of these auctions start at unreasonable prices. I mean if someone expects to yield 600 bucks off of one, you don't start the auction off at 499. In my experience high starting prices scare people off, and low auction starts make people bid more. And thats all find and dandy, but when half of the S's on the bay are not even in good enough condition to warrant the sellers asking price, and other potential S sellers see that...? they just see an S series for a high price and it just inflates the price even more... and it sux.

On the other hand, of all the S540's I have seen up for auction in the last 2 weeks half of them don't sell, and usually it's because the starting prices are to high, the condition isn't good enough to even warrant that starting price, or the sellers description is to vague.

Last edited by OneShot; 02-27-2009 at 11:52 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 12

so 'round this side of town, I've seen these price ranges [from what I remember]:

540LTD Purple Neon, covered with stickers ($350 + 200 miles roundtrip), comes with OHSC
S540LTD Jewel Blue $400 - $450, comes with OHSC
S540FM Transparent Black [the one I bought off our fav site], missing 2 string blocks, whammy bar and non-OHSC (@ $500 BIN, shipped)

... personally, $325 - $450 would be my range for non-aanj models and $500 most for the early "custom made" S, and under $700 for the late 90s Prestige S's, depending on finish.

Reg
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

wow.. those sound great. and are much less than what I have been seeing. all the S540LTD's I have seen on the bay recently selling or not selling are starting around 500, some with BIN for 699 , one sold for 720. for 720 of my money it would have to be flawless

and Im not even looking for an original 88-89 with the square heel, I want a AANJ

Tags
540sltd , s540ltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode