S series value? Found at Pawnshop - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
S series value? Found at Pawnshop

Hey guys. I just found this Japanese S series guitar at a pawn shop for 200 dollars is the asking price.
I don't know enough about the models, but this is for sure an S series body, with a HSH configuration. It has S1 for the single, and I can't rememberr the other pickups which were humbuckers but they were S also. The guitar has either the Edge or Low pro edge, but it looks like a Standard Edge to me. I've had a few. It has 22 medium tall or tall tall frets, rosewood board, and 5 way switch. Maple neck, no cracks in the neck. Just one ding on the horn on top of the body. Is it worth the 200 bucks? I really liked the sound of it.. I don't really need it, but thought about selling it, or buying it for trading material. This pawn shop sells guitars all the time that they shoudn't be selling.. lol. I mean they sold an american strat the other day for 250 bucks.> A gal buys them and sells them, and has no clue about guitars. I guess this is good for me as a buyer, but I can't get in there enough to check out stuff. .She's high on Gibson's, but I can fidn good deals if I look.. Anyway, if you can help me on the model of the S. It does say Japan on the back of the headstock and it has a serial number. It's on a sticker it looks like..
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 9
Re: S series value? Found at Pawnshop

Does it have Flamed maple top? Does it have binding on the neck? Does it say Custom Made on the 24th inlay? Are the inlays shark tooth or oval? Are the pickup QM's or IBZ/USA?

Serial number would be great.

If the guitar is in good condition it is easily worth $200. They usually sell for at least $300 to $400 and up on eBay depending on condition, features, and color.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

It has the Ibanez S series pickups, or the V series. one's. No binding on the neck. Just dot inlays.. No custom made on the neeck.. Um.. Ovals I meant to say.. No flame top. >Just black..painted body..

Tim
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 9

I would say that the market is about $300 to $400 on eBay. Lately it seems that they are going for a bit more. I love the S and would recommend it to anyone looking for a light guitar with a bit of a fuller sound then an RG. And the necks are one of the best ever made. $200 is a good deal, But I would offer $150 and take it immediately if they say yes.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Metal neck plate or the all access neck joint (no metal plate, just four screws)? I'd make sure it's either an original edge or lo pro. The S470's, starting in 1995, I believe, switched to the Lo TRSII which is not interchangeable with the edge or lo pro and not nearly as good.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Got pics? Even crappy cell phone shots would help.

Rich
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM

From your description I think it is an early (93ish) MIJ s470.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1993/s_4.jpg

$200 isn't bad, but verify that it has an "F" serial number before you buy it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys. I dno't have pics, but I'll take some. I'm goign to offer them a 150.oo. It is for sure an Edge or Low pro edge, not the Low TRS, as I know what they are too.. It is an F serail number, but I can't remember what the number is, but I'll get it in the pics.. It might be a day or two.. I'm really busy, but I'll post on here when I get them. I'm going to try tomorrow.. Thanks guys.. I appreciate it..
Tim
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Reviews: 11

Sounds like a good price for ANY MIJ S-Series in decent or better condition. Snatch it up without fear!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM

cant go wrong on these guitars I love mine
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I had one too and loved it.. The one thing I didn't like was the single coil in the middle, but that's really being picky. I just ended up moving it in as far toward the body as possible since I didn't really use it anyway, and it worked perfect. I should have kept that one, it was one without the trem. Had gold hardware and trem like a strat. It didn't have a true floating trem I guess I should say. Although you could have set it up to float, I just used it to do little stuff, and it stayed in tune great. Had a great set of locking tuners and hardware was just great..
Tim
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM

did you get it!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I did Indy.. Just stringing it and my Strat up now and setting Intonation again, etc,. Changed size of strings, etc,..
Killer guitar.. I still want to do some stuff to it to make it better like change out the Bridge pup, etc, but like what's in there..

Tim
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM

let us know how it sounds when you have it going!!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Indy. It sounded great until I messed with Wiring.. Going to have to get it rewired by a pro. I think the Switch is bad.. I had someone on here tell me how to wire it correctly and I did and can't figure it out.. But, it sounded great.. I had some problems at first figuring out whey the action was so high, and after reading Rich's (I think that's his name) Ibanez Rules site on setup I figured out the trem nut height on the neck was way too shimmed high.. Took it out straigtened out the neck and it's perfect.. 1.8 / 2.0 mm high at the most on both E's.. Great.. No buzz.. Just sounds and played great.. I am not a fan of the V pups. But, going to have a PAF pro stuck in the neck and maybe a Super D or Super 3 in the bridge and probably leave the stock pup in the middle.. Maybe stick a another pup in if I figure out what one..
Tim

Tags
pawnshop s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode