S and SV series guitars......help please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

S and SV series guitars......help please

hi.....i m buying a new ibanez prestige guitar..........i play mainly stuff like dream theater, bodom, symphony x, iron maiden, priest...etc etc.....some 80s stuff and neoclassical shred............................

i was fixed on a prestige guitar coz u hav little chance to go wrong with a ibanez prrstige........

rg4570z is outta my range ...and 3550z has maple fingerboard....so pretty much i have no other rg prestiges in interest

i want to buy a s5470f or sv5470f......so guys tell me which 1 is gonna help me better given my style.....i m hearing about their sustain problems and i sold of my dean mab 1 coz it has a ****ty sustain ........so i dont wanna spend a good amount of money on a guitar with little sustain

so which one if any has better sustain and versatility...i play mainly shredding solos and metal....but i want versatility if i feel like playing floyd (just one of those days u kno :P)

also if u guys know any other guitar in the range of a s5470f or sv5470f...maybe of any other brands that may be able to help my style and reqs....please do so,......i m open to all suggestions..................u see in india for the good guitars u gotta order them first...little scope to go into a store and try all new high end models and find ur love coz the stores here are ****...........

so urgently help me guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Re: S and SV series guitars......help please

I would go for the S series, mainly because it has a double locking bridge. If you play more heavy stuff, I guess you will use the wammy a lot. The SV has a more vintage type tremolo, which can't hold tune as well as the ZR2 on the S. Also, considering the ZPS on both of the guitars, you will have only minimal sustain differences. Also the pickups on the SV are said to have low output and you don't need the true duo pickups, because single coils and high gain equal noise. You could also consider one of the new Premium series. They are great quality.
If you want some great bang for the buck, you should look out for a used Rg5xx/7xx. I have one and it plays great.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Im a huge fan of one model in specific. I have owned almost every prestige (S and RG) in the past few years and have loved them but parted with them for one thing or another. NOT the guitars fault, Im just a snobby ass and have been spoiled by my RG3120. If you can find one in really good shape do it. I have owned 2, 3120TW (sold years ago, BIG mistake) and after many, many guitars i went back to a rg3120F dam (better than my 3120TW)....

Brand new and depending on the year they were anywhere from $1300-$1700. Same price range now as the SV, S5470 etc.... The best ones on average were made from 99-2002 and they came back a little different in 2005 and then went away....we all collectively cried...

You can now get them in great shape anywhere from $700-$1300. I got mine used and in MINT condition at GC for $750.... A steal and plays phenominal!!!

All guitars are subjective however both of mine were able to get down to 1/32nd at the 12th fret on the high e ( and at the 24rth, I like little relief) with no buzz anywhere and would not choke on huge bends (others have gotten them lower), all guitars intonate differently but both of mine had the best intonation on all chords and intervals across the neck after using my peterson strobe to inntonate, The flame tops on both of mine were great and moved in all the right ways under the lights( not a big diff in tone or playbility but we all oggle them at night, you know you do), the necks feel like home and after lubbing up the knife edges they return to pitch after bar use (im not a bar user but I still test it out)...

Ask anyone on this board and they will tell you to find a 3120 of any year in good condition and its the best bang for your buck! The only guitar I would ever take over it are some Jcustoms ...........
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM

I would say to go for the SV.

A tiny bit thicker neck, normal equals a bit more sustain.
The ZPS-FX so you can block the tremolo really fast adds loads of tuning stability for riff playing, and also adds a bit of sustain and tone when blocked.

The pickups are a bit less strong than the S model, but a lot more versatile.
It is, in my opinion, better to have a less strong pickup and add the gain later (amp, box, boost, whatever). It is easy to add to a less strong pickup if you need more but impossible to remove from a strong when you need less.
And can be easily change, if you want something ells.

/Magnus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Another factor on the SV is the nut. It is not locking. I have dealt with all kinds of nuts from graphite, bone to graphtec etc....They all stick and some without any trem use. Its the nature of the beast. You can add nut sauce, have a tech file them, refile the saddles, polish the saddles down and add nut sauce to those as well, however at the end of the day more than likely they will stick. Some strings more than others.

If you are a tuning nut then this will bother you, if not then its not the biggest issue. There are many "tone" arguments on a nut vs a locking nut however to me its all in your ears.........
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 AM

It has locking tuners, and the bridge is pretty damn stable. My band's other guitar player got one, and barring a, uh, manufacturing defect with the neck that Ibanez covered repairs for under warranty, is quite excellent. There's absolutely no tuning issues we've seen with that guitar.

Tags
s prestige , shred , sustain , sv prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode