S470 with moses graphite neck - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

S470 with moses graphite neck

Hi all,
I recently bought an S470 and replaced the neck with a moses graphite neck. I am using an LSR roller nut and steinberger locking tuners. With the LSR nut and 40:1 steinberger tuners this thing never goes out of tune and you never have to use the fine tuners. Just wondering if any of you had tried a similar mod before. I really like the ZR trem and use it as a fully floating trem. I previously was a big steinberger player but never really found a trem that I liked other than the R-trem which is very stiff. The ZR trem is much more suitable to my tastes. Anyways just wanted to share what I did that is working great and was wondering if anyone else had tried anything like this. Take care.

Monte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 AM

Re: S470 with moses graphite neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsdds
Hi all,
I recently bought an S470 and replaced the neck with a moses graphite neck. I am using an LSR roller nut and steinberger locking tuners. With the LSR nut and 40:1 steinberger tuners this thing never goes out of tune and you never have to use the fine tuners. Just wondering if any of you had tried a similar mod before.
Monte
I looked at a Moses for my Radius. But the 2 styles didn't fit my hand well, and it's not like you can sand those puppies down! That thin one was something - thinner than the thinnest wizard!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the thinline profile is REALLY thin. Personally I like the Tele profile which is very thick, almost feels like a baseball bat. You could also try the strat (NS-27) profile, it should fit the neck pocket and intonate just fine although there is a little gap which is totally cosmetic. You won't see the gap at the front of the pocket because of the cantilevered fingerboard. The best part of this Mod is definitely the LSR nut and steinberger tuners!!! Take care.

Monte
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:17 AM

How well do the Moses necks fit the AANJ on the S470? I thought they had regular heels on them.

Some pics would be great.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

The heel on the moses neck is pretty much identical in shape except that it is about 3/32" narrower than the ibanez pocket so there is a little gap around the heel. This to me is purely cosmetic and not really noticeable unless you are really scrutinizing the guitar. As far as pics how do you post pics on this site. Forgive me for being ignorant but as you can see I am a new member of this forum. I will try to get some pics up today. BTW I plan on doing the same thing to my other S470 very soon. Take care.

Monte
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsdds
The heel on the moses neck is pretty much identical in shape except that it is about 3/32" narrower than the ibanez pocket so there is a little gap around the heel. This to me is purely cosmetic and not really noticeable unless you are really scrutinizing the guitar. As far as pics how do you post pics on this site. Forgive me for being ignorant but as you can see I am a new member of this forum. I will try to get some pics up today. BTW I plan on doing the same thing to my other S470 very soon. Take care.

Monte
Ok I am really interested in pictures!

goto:
www.imageshack.us
and upload the pictures (up to 750kb in JPG) and then simply copy the link that says: "Post on message boards"

Also did you get it stock from moses or did you have to customise it?

Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I am at work right now so I will post pics tonight when I get home. I got a stock moses neck and had a machinist named Phil Langley cut the slot for the LSR roller nut. I installed the neck, tuners and nut myself. On my other S470 I actually shaped the heel to the AANJ shape. It turned out pretty nice, I do need to touch it up with some gel coat but again this is purely cosmetic. I also reshaped the headstock as you will see when I post pics. I can't tell you how well these guitars stay in tune with the LSR rollernut, steinberger locking tuners and ZR trem installed, and I don't have to use the fine tuners at all. All tuning is done with the steinberger tuners. Also I don't know that there is a big difference between the two heel shapes with regards to the access of the higher frets, they both work fine. I will post pics tonight.

Monte
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:31 PM

Much apreciated!

Just out of curiosity what style did you get? As I see you are a steinberger fan I would guess the steinberger model?

Also how does that thing sound (acousticly)?

Thanks
:P
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I got the tele style. I am a steinberger fan, mainly for the graphite. I am about 6'6" tall so I look like I am playing a ukelele with a headless axe, LOL!! The necks sound an feel great.

Monte
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Here is a link to one of the pics of the s470. More to come if this works.

[/url]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Here is a closeup of the LSR rollernut and modified headstock. Also a shot of the AANJ modified neck and the stock moses heel. As you can see I need to touch up the neck with some gelcoat. Easy fix but I would rather play the guitar than touch up the neck, LOL!! Maybe if I ever sell it I will touch it up.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:19 PM

Nice!

Tags
locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode